The Cars - 1978 Debut - Rhino High Fidelity

Options
Rhino's new 'High Fidelity' label. They're going to be releasing a rock and a jazz album every 3 mos. IIRC.

Anyway, this was remastered by Kevin Gray and is supposed to slam, fellas. Reviews say it bests the MFSL version which I thought was just, OK. My Nautilus 1/2 Speed Master was always my Go To pressing for their debut. Janey had bought me this before we were married and I still have it in our collection to this day.

Only 5000 of these are getting pressed and you can only buy it through the Rhino Store. I'll leave the link for anyone that's interested. Ordered mine and it should be here in about a week. I'll update with my thoughts on this release after I spin it.

I really dig this album because it takes me back to my days in the Army. First time I heard it, a bud of mine plucked it on his turntable at the barracks where we bunked and it immediately blew me away. He had a pair of Sansui Monoliths as I liked to call them. Just a huge pair of speakers. He drove them with a Kenwood, Super Eleven. Every soldier's dream receiver at the time. This is just before I met my Janey and The Cars are kind of a soundtrack for us during the early 80s.

Let the good times roll! ;)

https://www.rhino.com/product/the-cars-rhino-high-fidelity

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,121
    Options
    Nice to see it's not outrageously expensive!
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Nice to see it's not outrageously expensive!

All in, I paid 51.00 & change with taxes and shipping. Not cheap, but that's top of the mark for me. I think it will be worth much more when it's OOP unless Rhino does another run on them.
  • Keiko
    Options
    Rhino is dragging their feet on shipping. I hadn't received a shipping confirmation or tracking number yet. So I emailed the store and was advised due to unexpected delays, orders have not been shipped yet. Well duh! And they'd notify once the orders were shipped.

How hard is it to place the record inside a box, print a postage label and ship? :s
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    Options
    Patience 🙏
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Keiko
    Options
    Patience 🙏

NOOOOO! I want NOW! ;)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,645
    Options
    The monkey is out back with the hammer 🔨 and chisel🪛 going as fast as he can!!
  • Keiko
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The monkey is out back with the hammer 🔨 and chisel🪛 going as fast as he can!!

Now you've done it. You offended a primate. Monkey's pronouns are wrench and bone. Ya put a real fly in the ointment this time, Ivan. :o
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,533
    Options
    Got my shipping notice today! :D
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Keiko
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Got my shipping notice today! :D

Got mine yesterday, finally. Scheduled delivery for Thursday. My SL-1210M5G and Goldring 1012GX are primed and ready, but wanna compare it on the Dynavector too.

rrjh44zy429s.jpg

8axmzzr4t1ne.jpg

It's nice having different flavors to choose from. B)

r6ncel5epz95.jpg

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,121
    Options
    v0xldr4f4q4a.png

That's an... eclectic... assortment! :D
  • Keiko
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

That's an... eclectic... assortment! :D

Mostly budget cartridges. I only had the DL160 and Dynavector for the longest time. Then I saw a video on the AT3600L and all the raves that little cart was getting. So, I decided to try one for myself and ordered one in from China for 16.00 & change. I have to admit, that cheap little cartridge impressed me.

From there I went down a rabbit hole of budget cartridges. One of my favorites is an AT91 that I did the RigB mod on. I upgraded the original, conical stylus for an Analogis, Swiss made, nude elliptical black diamond. All in, I spent about 120.00 for that cartridge and it sings like something that should cost a lot more.

The Analogis is a synthetic diamond that cost about 30.00. It's is a genuine nude elliptical and for 30 bucks, no other budget stylus can top it IMHO. There are quite a few positive reviews for the black diamonds on vinyl engine.

There's a certain satisfaction you can get by rolling tubes. Now, I can get it with phono cartridges also. Some of those cheap, Chi-fi amps allow you to roll op amps, but that's another rabbit hole for another time. ;)

https://www.audioappraisal.com/the-ipt-rigb-rigid-metal-body-for-at91-cartridge-reviewed/

https://www.dacapoaudio.com/309-black-diamond-stylus-replacements
  • SIHAB
    Options
    4j66bzz0y9bk.jpg

package arrived in good order! (got lucky)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Keiko
    Options
    4j66bzz0y9bk.jpg

package arrived in good order! (got lucky)

Still waiting for mine. Delivery got bumped to July 3. One of the privileges of living on an island in Hawaii.

• Keiko
    Options
    BTW, what are your impressions @SIHAB. Is it as good as all the hype I've heard about it?
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Rhino store is already out of stock.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • SIHAB
    Options
    I haven't listened yet. I waiting for my best friends girlfriend to come over :)
  • Keiko
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Well, expected delivery on my copy was scheduled for tomorrow, July 3. I just checked on the tracking and it doesn't look like it's going to be here on time. This is the second time they've bumped the date on me and I'm somewhat p!ssed w/Rhino Records because of this. I placed my order over 3 weeks ago!

These have sold out already and if my copy has gotten damaged or even lost at this point, where does that leave me? This thing left SFO enroute to HNL 12 days ago! Last update was June 24th. Crappy customer service if ya ask me for them to send this by ground mail. I've had stuff shipped to me from communist China arrive faster. This is unacceptable by my standards and I'm a laid back kinda individual for the most part. Expect a big red donut coming soon from me, Rhino Records.

Rant off!
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,111
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Well, expected delivery on my copy was scheduled for tomorrow, July 3. I just checked on the tracking and it doesn't look like it's going to be here on time. This is the second time they've bumped the date on me and I'm somewhat p!ssed w/Rhino Records because of this. I placed my order over 3 weeks ago!

These have sold out already and if my copy has gotten damaged or even lost at this point, where does that leave me? This thing left SFO enroute to HNL 12 days ago! Last update was June 24th. Crappy customer service if ya ask me for them to send this by ground mail. I've had stuff shipped to me from communist China arrive faster. This is unacceptable by my standards and I'm a laid back kinda individual for the most part. Expect a big red donut coming soon from me, Rhino Records.

Rant off!

Interesting point. Regarding a NEW product, being a limited pressing (or anything limited or in low supply), do manufacturers or vendors retain copies for exchange in circumstances where an item is defective, damaged or lost in transit? Or are you SOL and get a refund, mdse. credit...
  • Keiko
    edited July 2023
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »

Rant off!

Interesting point. Regarding a NEW product, being a limited pressing (or anything limited or in low supply), do manufacturers or vendors retain copies for exchange in circumstances where an item is defective, damaged or lost in transit? Or are you SOL and get a refund, mdse. credit...

The Million $$$ question. Fact is, this is p!ss poor performance on Rhino's behalf. Not the first time either. Several years ago when they reissued The Doors in a Box Set, labels were slapped on crooked. Album holes mis-drilled causing the records to be out of round and ink smudges on covers because of wet ink. Big time QC issues.
  • SIHAB
    Options
    Hi Keiko,

Yours will show. If not, mine came in perfect condition and I'll
    sell it to you if you would like. I still haven't opened it. Just not
    the right time yet.
  • Keiko
    Options
    Hi Keiko,

Yours will show. If not, mine came in perfect condition and I'll
    sell it to you if you would like. I still haven't opened it. Just not
    the right time yet.

Thanks, but I don't doubt that it will show up eventually. Just annoys me that it got bumped twice from the delivery dates. I understand that the seller has no control of actual delivery dates and times, but Rhino dropped the ball using the method they did to ship. It all began with a delay in mailing to this. Unacceptable, or Keiko's just turning into an impatient geriatric? Nah, unacceptable!
  • Keiko
    Options
    I still haven't opened it. Just not
    the right time yet.

BTW, whazza matta with you? Open that puppy up and spin it! It's passed the right time. B)

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,964
    Options
    So how does this compare to the MoFi version?
  • Keiko
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    So how does this compare to the MoFi version?

Larry, watch the video in my second post.

I got an update today from USPS, it arrived in HNL this afternoon. Should be delivered by tomorrow. Hopefully in one piece.
  • SIHAB
    Options
    the right time yet.

BTW, whazza matta with you? Open that puppy up and spin it! It's passed the right time. B)

It's been a tough week and I want to be in the right frame of mind.
    I just got the Paranoid and Billion Dollar Babies Quadio's in the mail today.
    Cranking Paranoid. B)
  • Keiko
    Options
    the right time yet.

It's been a tough week and I want to be in the right frame of mind.
    I just got the Paranoid and Billion Dollar Babies Quadio's in the mail today.
    Cranking Paranoid. B)

Bastage! ;)

I wasted no time in ripping The Cars. Kevin Gray nailed it. This reissue/remaster is super dynamic, in your face with a scary huge sound stage. Worth the wait and money well spent. 5*****Stars from Mike Le Keiko.
  • Keiko
    Options
    I still have my original pressing of Paranoid. I should pull it from it's case and see how the Goldring likes it. Man, I dig that cartridge. Every bit as lively as my Dynavector. I can't imagine playback getting much better than it is with the 1012GX, but I was talking with one of the reps at DaCapo Audio who owns a 1012 and a 1042. He described the 1042 as being similar to the 1012GX, but 10Xs better. Now that's saying something! The nice thing about the Goldring 1000 Series cartridges is that the styli are interchangeable. Guess which stylus I'll be upgrading too?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,645
    Options
    Guess which stylus I'll be upgrading too?
    Case hardened coal?