Fair price for Polk LSiM707?

Options
ChrisD06
ChrisD06 Posts: 886
edited June 2023 in Speakers
I'm in Canada. So pricing will all be in Canadian Dollars.

I see these go in mint condition for $1600 on Canuck Audio Mart. This is from 2021 and up. I'll attach photos of these guys, but the cabinets are not only in extremely rough shape, but both tweeters and a midrange are cooked. They work according to the guy, but you can clearly see I'd need to replace them. The midrange coil rubs, it's not just the dust cap.

They want $900 as they have had then for 3 months and can't sell them, even to audiophiles. I offered $350 and said the replacement parts would run me $550 if I had to buy all 3, ship them from the US, do import fees, taxes, and shipping, and that I'd need to do cabinet work. Is this a fair price?

FYI this is a Pawn Shop, the $900 price tag is already huge profit to them, that's why they're letting them go for that. They originally wanted $1800 and said that it's only half off because they're taking up so much space and want a quick sale as it's been months.

Photos:
dljazo7wr4k8.jpg
mk8nq908o0zx.jpg
mhkvsfkmnd4c.jpg
dv6lb045cvti.jpg
2sg1v6c44mrg.jpg

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I think only you can determine what they're worth to you. Just based on condition, those would be a hard pass for me at any price.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @bcwsrt See, your response is actually what I saw others say. I found out about them from a local audiophile group and everyone said it was a hard pass. I'm the first person in 3 months to go "yeah I'll buy them". I think they'll cave, would be a totally wicked pair of speakers to own and I could repair them and they'd still be worth it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    PASS
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Pass, even if they were free.
    Too many unknowns with something clearly abused.

Plus, the one on the right has been airbrushed with the image of someone wearing sandals.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @msg Bahahaha it's the only footwear I had all week, had to evacuate the home because of a wildfire. Fortunately the property is okay.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Seeming as everyone said pass, I think I'll reconsider. To be fair, the biggest part of the LSiM series is the tweeters (and midrange), so when they're completely toast, and the cabinet is this abused, you're pretty much better off buying another pair of Polks for $350.

If I did get an even better price, like $100 or even free, where could I source drivers?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I'd call polk and hold my breath.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,602
    Options
    If you right now don’t know where you can get the drivers to replace the damaged ones, that’s even more reason to let these slide. Seems to me you are wanting these a little too much.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Although I can totally understand your attraction to a great deal on something that you can easily repair, I do wonder how your Onkyo TX-NR656 is going to handle driving something like the LSiM 707. 🤔

Your current setup seems rather well matched, so unless the Onkyo is also up for replacement, it doesn’t look as though you will be able to get the best from a repaired and restored pair of LSiM 707 at any price.
    Alea jacta est!
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @bcwsrt I only want them because I figured if I could get them and then repair them for $900, it'd be worth it, but it does seem like there might be other issues considering they don't even have the grilles and they were obviously abused. I'm gonna pass as per all of your better judgement.

@Kex Hell no I'm not driving them with my Onkyo haha. I would buy a proper amp. Current system is my HT setup, these would replace the RT800 in the TV room and I'd move the RT800 downstairs for a 7.1 system.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    No grills either...PASS!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options
    @F1nut My thoughts too. If all of the local audiophiles and local Polkies are passing (for 3 months), the store had to half the price, and you guys are all passing, I reconsidered and you're all right. I won't take these for anything more than free, and since that's not happening, I think I'll patiently wait for a pair to show up that's been properly taken care of.
  • msg
    Options
    Free is still too much!
    Unless you wanted to build garden planters. That could be kinda neat.

Were they really trying to sell these for $1799?

I will never understand how people end up wrecking audio gear. I guess a few home moves could cause some of it if not properly taken care of. Or transport by Miata. But those drivers are wrecked. Only thing missing is a box of Dixon-Ticonderogas jabbed into the cones.

And how do you lose the flippin' grills?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited June 2023
    Options
    disregard; wrong thread
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Free is still too much!
    Unless you wanted to build garden planters. That could be kinda neat.

Were they really trying to sell these for $1799?

I will never understand how people end up wrecking audio gear. I guess a few home moves could cause some of it if not properly taken care of. Or transport by Miata. But those drivers are wrecked. Only thing missing is a box of Dixon-Ticonderogas jabbed into the cones.

And how do you lose the flippin' grills?

I have thought this many times as well, I am very anal over my gear..
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @Toolfan66 I don't even let my friends near my RT3000ps because they like to put their hand in front of the subwoofer drivers and let them slap their hand.

More concerned about the tweeters being pushed in. I'd be pissed if that was the case.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Just to put the nail in the coffin. Pops doesn’t have replacement drivers for the LSIM series and hasn’t for years. Those things aren’t worth anything
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Run away from them as fast as you can.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Yeah the reaction of the forum convinced me. Not touching them at all. I'll spend that $350 on some RD2516-1 tweeters for my RT3000p instead.
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    And who puts for sale stickers right on to an expensive product like that? Just doesn’t seem right. That itself would be enough to walk away.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @Rich502 To be fair, their adhesive is very weak and completely peels with the sticker. I've bought from them before, usually retro games, they never put the sticker on the label.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Rule number one of audio, don't buy gear from places that use stickers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

pffft, A little WD40 and gone.

:D:D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Nah, unless it's just old and beat up maybe
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    The other issue is that there is more than cosmetics and drivers in these speakers. I had a 705 that looked great but had terrible distortion from the mid bass driver. Replacing it did not help as it seemed that the problem was an air leak in the chamber in which it was mounted and it was not being properly acoustically suspended. If you have ever looked inside one of these speakers, you might understand that finding that leak might not be easy.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    edited June 2023
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

That was one of the first things I noticed. I saw those sticker and thought "well that's going to ruin the paint forever, right on the front of the speaker."
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options
    The absolutely only reason I would spent a cent on these would be if I had a desire to practice fixing/building speakers myself. It might be a fun project to take the busted drivers out, give it a paint job, source new drivers, maybe build your own crossovers or modify the existing ones.

This wouldn't be a value buy. It would be the same idea as buying a junker car to build a bit of a rat rod.

If (and only if) that was something I wanted to do, I would spend maybe $50 US, essentially the wood for the cabinets and bass divers which all appear to be intact. If it's something your interested in, float them that number and let they same no. Then in 6 months float them that number again and see if they bite. I'm sure the speakers will still be collecting dust there at that point, unless another aspiring builder cuts a similar deal with them.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson