Smoke, smoke everywhere!

Options
DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,481
It's like a big campfire here in SE PA today. I hope the Canadian Wildfires get extinguish soon. I traveled to Haliburton scout reservation several years ago with our troop. Beautiful country. I pray things are brought under control soon!

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,884
    Options
    It's pretty bad. I had to go to the office today. While there I went out to get some coffee beans and my clothes smell like I've been sitting next to a camp fire.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,623
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I know how bad this is from first hand experience with the California fires. It's absolutely **** miserable. Try to hang in there and be strong, it'll go away eventually.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Rochester,NY has been under the clouds of fire. As some of you might know,and many could care less,I’m a letter carrier. Thank the Lord, no issues health wise. I come home with campfire clothes is all. The station I work out of had smoke inside the building. I’m guessing time to change the filters! The sky had started to be seen again around 1:30 ish. It’s 8:00 pm,and it’s starting to haze over again. I think tomorrow things are supposed to change for the better.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Rochester,NY has been under the clouds of fire. As some of you might know,and many could care less,I’m a letter carrier. Thank the Lord, no issues health wise. I come home with campfire clothes is all. The station I work out of had smoke inside the building. I’m guessing time to change the filters! The sky had started to be seen again around 1:30 ish. It’s 8:00 pm,and it’s starting to haze over again. I think tomorrow things are supposed to change for the better.

Frankenstein had a fear of fire. Just sayin'.

lrkdzlif22z4.jpg
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    We had a haze covering the sun in Wisconsin peaking on Sunday, but nothing like what you guys are dealing with. Hopefully it clears soon.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,726
    Options
    What started them all simultaneously?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    What started them all simultaneously?

Probably scouts earning their campfire badges...... B)

J/K 😁😁
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Get you one of these.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-FF305-20-inch-Purifier-Purifying/dp/B089P1Z38J

I use a 3M Filtrete 1900 taped to the back of a box fan when we have forest fire smoke issues. They're probably hard to find right now. They do a fantastic job of removing the smoke from your home.

These'd probably work too. Not familiar with the brand.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,505
    Options
    Which way does the fan blow, in or out?
    Trying to figure out how the filter works. Filter on outside of fan blowing into the house?
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I put the filter on the inlet side to keep the fan from getting grungy. Most furnace filters have a directional arrow printed on them for proper alignment.

Scott, Ideally you want to use the fan with the windows closed. Smoke will get indoors any time you open the door. When the smoke was really bad here it would choke you stepping outside so you want to use the fan/filter as an air purifier.

Portland 2020
    l593bmebqu0f.png
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    TEAforONE wrote: »

Frankenstein had a fear of fire. Just sayin'.

lrkdzlif22z4.jpg
    I wish I was that handsome!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,977
    Options
    Finally I can see some sky and the morning sun isn't a bright orange/red color. Still a haze though but better days are ahead!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,203
    Options
    Good site for checking current air quality. Near me this morning:

https://fire.airnow.gov/#

h7eqwxx4seti.jpg
    0yxw9h5cydkv.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    My redneck airfilter is doing well on setting 2 this morning :)
    5ekp5p6n8ln7.jpg
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,884
    Options
    My redneck airfilter is doing well on setting 2 this morning :)
    5ekp5p6n8ln7.jpg

Smart, gives your coffee a smoky taste
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    Options
    You are doing it all wrong if this is to be considered a redneck setup. A true redneck setup would have fresh road kill in front of the filter to give it more flavor.

Rookie.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • motorstereo
    Options
    Ok then; will yesterday's backyard kill do or is it too late?
    ehd1f50ic6xu.jpg
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    That site I gave above allows you to pull up a historical graph. Of course I was working outside like a du mbass yest. from 2pm to 6pm right at the peak:

mq8xu0zrjh2t.jpg
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • msg
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I put the filter on the inlet side to keep the fan from getting grungy. Most furnace filters have a directional arrow printed on them for proper alignment.

Scott, Ideally you want to use the fan with the windows closed. Smoke will get indoors any time you open the door. When the smoke was really bad here it would choke you stepping outside so you want to use the fan/filter as an air purifier
    ohhh, okay, yeah, that makes sense.
    I sometimes stick a box fan in the window and wasn't connecting the dots there.
    lol - "ideally".

we got a little haze yesterday morning, and slight scent of smoke in the air, but not as bad as some of those areas. man. we've had it worse when there've been wildfires just south of us in NC, but not of a long time.

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    f9z9naddjcyc.png
    I like hedgehogs.

What the heck are we looking at here?
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    Options
    My guess would be a mole or vole...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • motorstereo
    Options
    Yes it's a ground mole I caught in a trap. I got lucky.....the ground mole not so much.
  • treitz3
    Options
    ehd1f50ic6xu.jpg

You would have to ask @lightman1 about that.

Tom
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    ssa144g5sa0d.jpg
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    edited June 2023
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,726
    Options
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,108
    Options
    Stay safe!!!!

It could be worse.

6ql32bi75c7x.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Stay safe!!!!

It could be worse.

6ql32bi75c7x.jpg

Caused by climate change no doubt.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    edited June 2023
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

That's not uncommon and not arson. A wave of thunderstorms came through just prior to that setting off small treetop fires which burned unnoticed until a high pressure system came through behind it (clear skies) creating high winds quickly drying things out and providing blast furnace amounts of oxygen.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC