Sounbar 3000 Volume changes without using remote

Options
maxfli911
maxfli911 Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Troubleshooting
Help,

I recently purchased a Polk Audio Soundbar 3000. While the product is working it sounds great, but the volume will periodically go up to max by itself. It will also go to mute by itself. It happens so frequently that the product is virtually useless. I have tried all 4 channels, turning off lap tops, moving cordless phones, nothing seems to help. I live in the country with the nearest neighbor being several thousand feet away so there is no interference from them. I think it?s possessed.
Post edited by maxfli911 on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hello Max,
    Thanks for posting on Polk's forum. Can you tell me which remote you used to program the SB3000?
    Regards, Ken
  • maxfli911
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hi Ken,

I have not programmed any remotes to my unit yet, I am still using the small remote that came with the system.

Dave
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hi Dave,
    It is possible the SB is responding to IR commands from another remote control. As a test, try using the remote that came with your TV to program the volume up/down, mute and on/off functions. Keep in mind you want to use the remote that came with your TV as opposed to a cable/satellite dish remote. If after teaching the SB another set of remote codes let's hope nothing else is interfering.
    Regards, Ken
  • maxfli911
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Ken,

I'll give this a try tonight when I get home.
    One note though....the volume goes up or the unit goes to mute without pressing any buttons on any other remotes.

Dave
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Dave,
    That is weird! Any chance you live near Area 51?
    One thing you could try is to do a re-boot. To do this you would remove the power cords for both the bar and the sub. Then switch off the on/off rocker switches on both units. Wait about a minute, re-plug the two power cords and switch the on/off rockers to "on" and see what happens.
    Ken
  • maxfli911
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I'll try the reboot....

Thanks for your help Ken.....
  • maxfli911
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I did the reboot last night and used the soundbar all evening without any gremlins. So far so good......I'll let you know if it happens again.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Very good, thanks for letting us know.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Glad that you got it working!!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • gopokey
    gopokey Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I purchased the same product at the same time as maxfli911. I had the exact problem as well; the volume ramping up to the max all on its own rendering it unusable. I haven't used the product in 12 months (been very busy; new babies in the house). In my case, if i remember correctly, the product worked OK with the Polk remote, but when I attempted to program my "all in one" remote that's when things went south. Then, to add insult to injury, the remote drained the little specialty battery every week so that was untenable to keep replacing the batteries so i gave up.
    So, my question is this a known problem? Is there a fix?
    Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Hello gopokey,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. The problem with using "all-in-one" remotes is that they transmit too many versions of the same commands. Try placing the SB into the standby mode (LED red), push the "learn" button a couple of seconds. The LED should turn amber and blink, this indicates that the command memory is wiped clean. Then use the TV's remote to teach the SB.
    Regards, Ken
  • Skrodes
    Skrodes Posts: 3
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I see that this was a while ago.

I have run into this same issue. I have done the reboot, as well as changed channels from 1 through 4. I am not using an all in 1 remote and my soundbar is still muting on its own. It's not muting all at once but gradually for a period of about 5 mins.

Ken do you have any other ideas?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. One thing to try would be to place the SB in the standby mode (LED will be red) then press the "learn" button for a couple of seconds. The LED will turn amber and blink a couple of times. This indicates that the bar's memory has been wiped clean, it will still respond to the original Polk remote.
    See if this makes a change.
    Regards, Ken
  • savydazzler
    Options
    lol it’s prolly cause you guys are in demo mode we have the same problem but we can’t get it out of demo mode!
  • THAWOODW
    THAWOODW Posts: 1
    Options
    Had same issue but after reading options in this forum I am now using the TV remote instead of the Polk remote…Seems to have solved the issue. Thanks for your support 😊