RM6000 given up the ghost

Options
polk happy
polk happy Posts: 31
edited August 2009 in Troubleshooting
Help my sub gave up the ghost yesterday, the 'audio amp chip'?????:confused: has blown. To such a state that i cant read the reference on it to get a replacement. Can any of you guys help me i've attached a picture of the offending part. I need to see if i can get a replacement in the UK. Polk CS dont seem to want to help there not getting back to me. I bought the sub second hand a couple of weeks ago and it was working fine but not any more.:(
Post edited by polk happy on

Comments

• TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I need to see if i can get a replacement in the UK. Polk CS dont seem to want to help there not getting back to me.
    Be patient, I am convinced they'll get back to you. Don't expect you fire an email and get an answer right away, they have other business going around. Polk's CSR is of the best you can imagine, just be patient. On another note, unless you are highly technical I would suggest you ask them for a Polk approved repair shop since when an IC burns there are also other components in the surrounding circuit that will also be defective and you may burn the new IC right away. An approve Polk service/repair facility would have the circuit diagram and be able to check all of the surrounding components and replace them if need be.

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • polk happy
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Polk CS came up trumps gave me the model No's, sourced the components in the UK and were back in business.

Cheers Polk
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited August 2009
    Options
    polk happy wrote: »
    Polk CS came up trumps gave me the model No's, sourced the components in the UK and were back in business.

Cheers Polk

See, that is what Technokid was talking about. Way to go Polk CS!!
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • TECHNOKID
    edited August 2009
    Options

Cheers Polk
    PolkHappy, say it after me (;)): Polk CS is the BEST :cool:

Glad for you :)
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • polk happy
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Technokid.

"polk CS is the BEST"
    I should have never doubted you. ( We English are not known for our patience;) )

I'm now in the process of making a new cabinet for the Sub, 2 reasons firstly the wife thinks its ugly and secondly i have two young boys who are likely to poke their little fingers through the speaker so i'm making a down firing box trying to keep to the same internal dims. shall i post pictures???
  • TECHNOKID
    edited August 2009
    Options
    No difficulty replacing the IC (nothing else wrong in the cct path?)?

enjoy!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • polk happy
    edited August 2009
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    No difficulty replacing the IC (nothing else wrong in the cct path?)?

enjoy!
    TK

No probs straight forward job, replaced C18 and C19 capacitors as well because they were showing signs of bulging.

I did blow the internal fuse once i had replaced it and switched it on but then realised i had not replaced the insulator between the ic and the amp plate so it shorted out but once that was back in place BOOM BOOM back in business
  • TECHNOKID
    edited August 2009
    Options
    No probs straight forward job, replaced C18 and C19 capacitors as well because they were showing signs of bulging.

I did blow the internal fuse once i had replaced it and switched it on but then realised i had not replaced the insulator between the ic and the amp plate so it shorted out but once that was back in place BOOM BOOM back in business
    I'm sure "Polk's Happy" for ya just as much as you are "PolkHappy" ;)

Enjoy the BOOM BOOM :D
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • frostydog
    frostydog Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey polk happy, hows things. I know this is an old thread but I've just been given an RM6000 sub, and the chip is fried, funny but those same caps are swollen too. Could you please tell me the no. of the chip? Hopefully I can source one here in Oz.

Cheers
    frostydog
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,489
    Options
    Hello,
    I'll ask a friend at Polk for the amp's schematic.
    Cheers!
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I heard back from the engineering department and they, unfortunately, don't have the amplifier's schematic anymore.
  • frostydog
    Options
    Thanks SF! I was hoping that polk happy might have seen this post and given me the info. Oh well, I'll try to come up with another idea.

Once again, thank you for your effort.

Cheers
    frostydog
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    You're welcome, @frostydog I wish I had better news. You might just consider replacing the plate amp, there's several sold through parts sites.
  • frostydog
    Options
    Hmm. Do you mean making a different 50W amp kit and substituting the power section of the Polk amp? There are some good kits out there based on the lm3886 chip, intergration might be a bit of a fiddle, if that's what you meant. Good idea mate, and certainly worth a look.
    Once again, thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Cheers
    frostydog.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited June 2023
    Options
    No he is saying is to basically chuck that one in the trash bin and buy a new plate amp. They can be bought from several companies. I'd start with Parts Express, they usually carry several. Chances are none will fit exactly so some modification will be needed.

https://www.parts-express.com/search?order=relevance:desc&keywords=subwoofer plate amp