Polk R700 +R900 or Monolith THX 465-T

Options
Dragonm8
Dragonm8 Posts: 8
edited May 2023 in Speakers
Good day,
Unfortunately I can't find anything on the internet comparing the R700 with R900 on top vs Monoprice Monolith THX 465-T speaker.
Does anyone have experience with the speakers? I'm stuck between the Polk R700 and the 465t's.
I want to use it in a big room 444ft²
sitting in the middle. Which will be better for movies and which is better overall?

Best Answer

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Answer ✓
    Options
    These Monolith THX speakers look to be a nice solution for a budget minded person. I never heard them but they retain a THX badge so they have to perform at a certain level which is ideal for movie reproduction. I don't know how good they are , spec's are spec's and they invested in the THX certificate.
    I can't make any judgement on these speakers without listening , testing and setting them up myself.

I can say the exact same thing about the Polk Reserve series. They are getting incredible reviews from everyone who reviews them. Most think they punch way above their asking price and some say they question why you would ever need a better speaker.

The comments about being in the business longer does hold weight but that also doesn't discredit a manufacture who got into the speaker business a few years ago. In ways , newer companies have some advantages but studying all the things done by decades of speaker building and then being able to make logical decisions on their builds and price points.

I don't think you can find a direct compare of these 2 speakers but you can find reviews of both and if you can't listen to them first, you can try and make a personal logical decision to which speaker makes sense for you.

Of course in here , you're goin to get a strong push for polk speakers. We all love them or we wouldn't be in here. But if you where asking me to make a decision on these 2 companies without hearing either first, I would jump on the Polk Reserve line over the Monolith line for many reasons.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    Options
    Polk has been a speaker company for 5 decades. Monoprice has been selling speakers for what a couple of years. They aren't a speaker company.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,089
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I was trying to come up with a nicer way to say what Jesse said. Their amps are made by ATI and their speakers are amde by whoever was the lowest bidder who could meet the specs and such they threw out there...

Take it for what it's worth!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    I have the R700 with the R900 Atmos, and I am very happy. The Monoprice looks good but I think the name says it all Monoprice make them as cheap as possible. And the Monoprice are 55lbs and the R700 are almost 95lbs build quality.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,986
    edited May 2023
    Options
    We’ll I have no idea about the speakers, but I’ve owned Martin Logan, Velodyne, SVS, Definitive technology, and HSU subs (among others), and my monoprice monolith 15 inch sub is by far the best sub for home theater that I’ve owned. Sound and build quality are both top notch fwiw…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    They do have one thing in common. They're both out of stock. :)

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38546

Although specifications don't tell everything, the 465Ts do seem to be very light weight for their size and drivers. That would indicate a cabinet with either thin walls, small driver magnets, or not much internal bracing. Cabinet volume on the 465Ts is 27 percent greater but weight is 40 percent more on the R700s without the added weight of an Atmos module. That's a huge difference and the R700s have a less robust cabinet than the Legend lineup's. Also note the exposed screws holding the drivers in on the 465Ts. That's a cost cutting measure that affects performance.

Price difference is normally about $100 each speaker. The R900 modules are extra but they are more flexible for placement.

I wouldn't even think twice about what the better speaker deal is for price/performance.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    I've seen a couple online reviews of the Monolith speakers. There's almost no cabinet bracing in them and reviewers tend to say they're good for home theater with equalization and room correction but maybe not so much for music. Not a surprise.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,986
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I was trying to come up with a nicer way to say what Jesse said. Their amps are made by ATI and their speakers are amde by whoever was the lowest bidder who could meet the specs and such they threw out there...

Take it for what it's worth!

the problem with Monoprice is theft of intellectual property. Many of their products are rumored to be made in the same factory as the products they are copying, although I am sure that they also will take the specs to the manufacturer next-door for a cheaper rate.

Those speakers are closely modeled after the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers. At this price and with free returns I would be very tempted to go them an in-home audition:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42483&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PMax:+Smart+Shopping+-+Monoprice+-+Speakers&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&hsa_acc=6614305189&hsa_cam=17489107650&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAjw9pGjBhB-EiwAa5jl3PnnAsdXmd9fILCxQ0m8aT8S1WU1jr9aDZu6Fpg0622S-0MpHwfsuxoCq0IQAvD_BwE
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Dragonm8
    Dragonm8 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers. I'll stick with the Polks.
    I'll check them out when they're back in stock.
    After searching I was also unable to find the Monoprice Monolith THX 465-T in the Netherlands.