Changed up the TV room a little bit

Options
Took around 6 hours and a lot of coffee, but I think it turned out alright. Biggest upgrade? No more crappy 5W Samsung TV speakers.

Now we're driving some Polk Audio RT800s which I painted black with a 90W RMS Sony stereo. What a difference!

Here's my question for you folks. What do you think suits the room more: Mesh on, or mesh off?

fby30maq66vt.jpg
cfqdx2mano93.jpg
ff6i52b7sqo6.jpg
tez444oaq87t.jpg

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,384
    Options
    The RT800s look good. I prefered my RT series with grilles on even though the later version with the blue drivers looked cool.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 887
    Options
    @Emlyn

Agreed. The blue drivers were really cool, infact, with my RT600i, I actually keep the bottom grille on and the top grille off, looks pretty nice in my opinion.

The only RT speaker I objectively think needs the grilles of in all cases is the RT3000p. If you're not showing off their subwoofers then what are you doing???
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,098
    Options
    Looking good. I think I prefer the grills on, but either way looks good.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @PSOVLSK

Yeah I'm thinking grilles on it is, it also keeps dust out to be fair.

Grilles off for the HT setup of course! Considering throwing a PSW 350 upstairs but I have no idea where it'd fit LOL
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,633
    Options
    Bring the speakers out and away from the rear wall a bit, instead of having them butted up right against it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Grills on, move out from the wall and toe in.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,885
    Options
    You lie... Everyone knows you can't find black paint.

Looking good
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,123
    Options
    I would say that's more of an onyx then black, compared to the grill

The search continues for this elusive paint no doubt

Looks good!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @Willow @VR3 Thank you both!

Highly recommend this by the way. If you have an old RT (non i) series speaker and the fabric is damaged (if it's fine, leave it be), then peel it all off and paint them black. It looks super sleek and modern and matches the black of the RTxxi series or the later model RT3000p which I coincidentally own. Infact, that's how I found the paint I wanted lol.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,426
    Options
    Those were my first model of Polk speakers I ever owned. Long time ago. They were a fun speaker and kinda wished I had kept them for a secondary system.

I'll agree with bringing them out from the wall and toe in. Also, see if you can find something heavy to place on top of them......and add spikes with pucks to protect the floor. All of this will make a big change to the end result. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~