Tweeter fun: Dayton plates

Options

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Tell Matt he wasted his time on the -194's.

That is not remotely true. The difference between when MP owned the company and when others bought the company is night and day. The problems you allude to (bezel differences) happened AFTER Matt left the company. You cannot put any blame on him!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Tell Matt he wasted his time on the -194's.

That is not remotely true. The difference between when MP owned the company and when others bought the company is night and day. The problems you allude to (bezel differences) happened AFTER Matt left the company. You cannot put any blame on him!

Were they MIC when he owned the company? If so that's on him.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Rob, give it a damn break already....geesh!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I met the engineer responsible for the RDxxxx tweeters. During our discussion it was mentioned Polk spent a lot of time and a staggering amount of money on R&D/manufacturing costs to bring those tweeters to market. They didn't have to do it, but they did because they felt it was the right thing to do. Not many companies would do such a thing for 20-30 year old speakers.

Both versions are a significant sonic improvement over the originals, so well done to that engineer and Polk for helping our vintage Polk speakers continue to make beautiful music.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 687
    edited April 2023
    Options
    So here's the thing:

Money

- I am on a budget. I ended up with an extra $250 over 6 weeks to put where I wanted. I put $162 into a 2nd dac (on sale, btw) for comparison, and $62 into a pair of tweeters to experiment with.

Result = I know more about dacs than I did, will get $150 back out of the purchase, and am down about $75 dollars for shipping and the Dayton experiment.

Opinion = $75 and time to learn is fine w/ me. I'm grateful I get to try something for fun.

Think I know better?

- Absolutely not. If I did, I wouldn't ask questions, test my ideas, and admit when I made a mistake.

Result = The expectation I have in a diy/mod-friendly group is for others to be as respectful and communicative as I am. Reality is, well... not awesome.

Opinion = I invite anyone who wants to help me learn to join in! Just because I try something, or ask about something, that doesn't mean I know it all or better. It means I want to learn. And I often go ahead with a project that may experience failure- to truly learn why. I am thankful I sometimes have that luxury.

2000 vs Wuhan vs Dayton

- I asked The Hive about the why, so I would understand more than I do. Got the info on why the 194 works as a 2000 replacement, with no crossover mods, given its different specs and materials? Lay it out. Educate. Understanding why a driver works as a replacement, or doesn't, is black magic to me. I'd love to learn the specifics.

Result = Well, that didn't go as planned...

Opinion = We could all work harder to be kind and helpful to each other, couldn't we? I mean, if you're in here and aren't jumping in to help and have fun with the challenges, why do you take your valuable time to post? You're stealing time from others. None of us need that. I work to be as clear, kind, and helpful as I can. If I fail at that, I do better the next time.

Schiesseposting

Give me less of this:
    vkqbq6kuc121.jpeg

And more of this:
    hqplu223i5jz.jpeg
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Follow-up:

I rave to others about Polk.

I have for the past 23'ish years.

I've told people about the 194 and 198 over and over and over. It's amazing! That kind of dedication to the fanbase is something that sets one company above another.

And we owe it to Polk's legacy to be kind, accepting, and helpful.

This isn't an elitist clubhouse where any member should feel unwelcome. That goes against the Polk mandate (for all, right?). This should be a safe and respectful place where fans can get together without fear of ridicule, shaming, trolling, or personal attacks.

I can not believe, after all I've learned about Matthew Polk since I got my first pair of his speakers, that he would be a fan of the behavior here.

We owe it to him to be better than what goes on in the forum that bears his name.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • xschop
    Options
    This forum is due for a large volume clyster.
  • F1nut
    Options
    So, the truth gets removed now!?!

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Add the vibraphone to the list of instruments presenting more realism with the Dayton's...

buz8ylkkazze.png
  • xschop
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Lol all you want. What will you use now that Polk no longer makes the RDO's?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xschop
    Options
    Did POLK actually manufacture those?
  • heiney9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Yep same manufacturer. I doubt Polk ever "made them" stateside in a Polk factory.

"OEM Polk Audio replacement"

H9

P.s. How do you know Polk no longer stocks these? Many times they are out for extended periods of time. Same for Midwest Speaker Repair.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited April 2023
    Options
    You can still buy them from Polk..

And yes, the ones from Midwest are the same tweeters from Polk..
  • heiney9
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    You can still buy them from Polk..

And yes, the ones from Midwest are the same tweeters from Polk..

I assumed they were still available from Polk. About every 6 months someone says "the RD0's are no longer available". So far, every time, that is misinformation, for whatever reason.

H9
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    What I saw with getting 198s, and asking about 194s, appears to be:

Polk orders a batch. Midwest (or whomever} buys a bunch in bulk. Polk sells out of the remaining discount stock. Overseas call center says the tweeters don't exist anymore and Polk doesn't make them. People buy from secondary seller. Secondary sellers sell out. Months pass. Rinse. Repeat until?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Repeat until people stop buying them, which will be a very long time.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options

No worries because I plan for the future. I've got plenty of brand new, still in the packaging, spares.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

No worries because I plan for the future. I've got plenty of brand new, still in the packaging, spares.

Double here too, it'll be a loong time before I'm out.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    If you properly care for your speakers and drive them with good, clean power, the RD0’s should last far longer than the SL types do. Those were junk from day one…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    Options

Same goes here for Dayton adapters.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Playing with SL2000, Wuhans, and Daytons.

I only have 2 useable SL. I mounted them in one box, tried different combos of each.

I have AudioTools for iOS. Looking for FFT processes/settings for how you lot would test your speakers (at driver and at listening position). Curious how people I haven't tagged do it.

Didn't want to buy the LARSA plug-in yet.
  • xschop
    Options
    This weekend, I threw in a set of billet plate Daytons in the modded 8TLs while I have the RD0198 housings apart for focus rings.
    These sound just as beautiful in these as they do the 5Bs.
  • xschop
    Options
    New MW rings have had a thorough workout. I'm not really in a rush to get those rings done in the RDO's...

m6ydqu0jnwmv.jpg

• F1nut
    Options
    Rob, purely out curiosity what is the silver disc for?

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options

8t's were ported, that is plugging the port.
  • F1nut
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

8t's were ported, that is plugging the port.

Interesting, so they are sealed now?

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    That's just a plug. They're now rear Power-Ported.

When Polk made the 8TL's, they moved the port up below the MW and used a thin, cheap port that allowed midrange to exit there.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ah, again...interesting. Thanks!

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    If a set of 15TL's land on my doorstep, they'll get Power-Ported too. It fixes the rear-firing PR issue with room placement also...

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2696003#Comment_2696003