Tweeter fun: Dayton plates

Options
plastic_avatar
plastic_avatar Posts: 690
edited April 2023 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
From Wuhan to Dayton

After cutting my teeth (and barreling into) @VSAT88 and @xschop's SL2000 dome replacement mod, it's time for another experiment.

xschop did some really sweet metalwork for adapter plates to mount the Dayton DC28FT-8 tweeter in a vintage Polk cabinet (his work is always amazing):

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/168239/a-real-sl-2000-hack-replace-stock-burnt-voice-coils-with-silk-diaphragm-dome/p17

So, since I'm a little better at 3D printing and modeling now, after lots of Wuhan modding... new challenge!

The target

c0boafkxju1r.jpeg
xschop uses this instead of the RD0-194.

It's a beautiful dome. It appears taller than the 198, and has some great features (listed on the product page).

I used my Wuhan plates as a starting point, and imitated the milled plates in plastic:

wjcca9xglwad.jpeg
l2q4vy402wnr.jpeg
3h2cq0gqk0lm.jpeg
Those^ are a Wuhan, stock Dayton, and Dayton adapter plate.

I'm printing Dayton Plate v3 while I sleep tonight.

v1: The screw holes were off just a hair.

v2: The cuff on the underside of the plate, that sits around the magnet, was too wide.

v3: We'll see how it did come morning.

v2 = I couldn't wait

Even though the plate didn't fit my 1C, after I filed the opening in the tweeter cutout to fit the Dayton's leads, I mounted it (poorly). I had to hear it.

e7ea737ou7x8.jpeg
I'll mount the 2 I have in the lower locations, once I get a finalized plate done.

Does it really work?

Anecdotally, I believe it's more... lifelike than the SL2000 or Wuhan in that position. I really like the Wuhans. If my hearing wasn't great, I might not think the Daytons are worth upgrading to. The Wuhans are smooth and pleasant. The Daytons are more lively and... maybe... faster... like they create sound quicker and stop sooner...

This is a terrible example (noises, the plate isn't seated), but it blends nicely with the mids:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jh0MIqsrJ7fu3TdXr__yVKnZ71zbQBSe/view?usp=drivesdk

Result

I've decided to buy 2 more next payday. I want to hear a full set of then in the 1C.

I'll be able give a better listen the next 2 weeks, but preliminary opinion is positive.

Anyhow.

I'll update more as I know more.
The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    I woke up to a crafty goodness notification.
    Looking good. I bet you have a wider off-axis response with that throat profile too.
    Dayton dropped the ball with their thin plate/bezel. You've picked it back up with that beefy design.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I fixed the link... but it was the wrong snippet!

Ugh. Late nights and the limitations of this editor =\

I was trying to share the right-channel-specific live Hotel California guitar intro:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XnJkcEJU28E_9X0FkuGmB6Ye39-3BMVF/view?usp=drivesdk

I dislodged a Hurricane nut. Not sure I can retrieve without taking the passive and 2 mids out =(
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Plate #3, after further filing the bottom lead opening a little wider, fits great!

Printing the second one I need now.

Question is, how best to connect the wires, since the spades are larger than Polk's? Solder, I guess?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    Options
    Autozone and Advance Auto Parts carry the gold plated brass female audio connectors. What size? They have 0.250", 0.187", and 0.110". They are crimp on and you can also backflow a little solder into them.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    edited April 2023
    Options
    You can use standard 1/4" female connectors.
    When I re-wired the modded 5Bs with Supra Rondo wire, I used these as they fit the Dayton and the factory MW perfectly....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XNG8XH7?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
  • xschop
    Options
    Is that Hunter, pre-crack days?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Another train wreck.

The bottom tweeter is frequency restricted, so your hearing isn't as good as you think.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    edited April 2023
    Options
    The frequencies that do get through are more accurate than a -0194. You can take that to the bank.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Don't like:

- The plate design?

- The technique I used to make the face shiny and glass smooth?

- The Dayton tweeter as an SL2000 alternative, for reasons?

- The sound recorded via the iPhone mic?

- Those sweet lookin' milled tips down below?

It's a neat experiment fir $125 (cost of 4 tweeters and filament). I'll probably put them in my 5B, if the listening sessions hold up.

I get that it's not an SL2000 nor a 194. Those measure differently from each other, and the Dayton measures differently than them.

I've often wondered what combo of attributes allows the 194 to drop in for the SL2000.

The Wuhan dome mod from VSAT88/xschop works great, so is it out of bounds to try the Dayton as an alternative based on xschop's work?

I'd love us to discuss (and even further experiment) to answer our questions.

(I know it's the transition tweeter between the mids and the upper tweeter. You might've missed that allusion.

I started there because I think the Wuhan does a really good job blending between the 2 sections (compared to the SL2000). I decided to keep it there because of the effect it appears to have on those transitions.

Maybe... later... when I'm testing the top tweeters... I can comment on extension, sparkle, airiness, and all those other words to describe the high-end portion of the experiment? Ya'know, when my great hearing will come in even more handy!)
  • Gardenstater
    edited April 2023
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    The frequencies that do get through are more accurate than a -0194. You can take that to the bank.

I just read this article again by a positive constructive audiophile (thank god there are some!). Very interesting and educational. How many of us have Peerless tweeters in an oversized routed cutout? Not as bad as a circular one but there should be diffraction effects.

Article is very interesting also regarding the effect of varying the type and amount of damping material in the rear chamber.

https://www.speakerdesign.net/dayton_dc28f/dayton_dc28f_tweeter.html
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited April 2023
    Options
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited April 2023
    Options
    - v3 fits flush with the baffle, snug in the hole, and looks great. I might redesign the depth of the screws… not sure yet.
    -
    u84aal7vnf3m.jpeg

- Retrieved the nut by the power of stronger magnetic forces.

ixsagv0y5czp.jpeg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Now if you could do something about your loose screws….
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Gardenstater
    Options

How long did you own your 1.2tl's again, without ever getting around to Dynamatting the baskets? 😉
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

How long did you own your 1.2tl's again, without ever getting around to Dynamatting the baskets? 😉

Choosing not to do something or “do no harm” is far different than deciding to butcher.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Gardenstater
    Options

Choosing not to do something or “do no harm” is far different than deciding to butcher.

Ahhh.....SO, "choosing" what to do with your own speakers, or not to do, in furtherence of enjoyment of this hobby is the right of everyone, is the point you are making? You are truly a wise man!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    g68b5xnybxee.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Options

Never said it wasn't a legit write up, so stop twisting things to fit your agenda. The write up doesn't mean the tweeter is an appropriate one for vintage Polk speakers. Far from it.

FYI, it was you and garden that started using the LOL button on my posts. You reap what you sow.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Both are on my list…

• xschop
    Options
    I figured it was new vanilla function, auto-lol.
  • Gardenstater
    edited April 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Never said it wasn't a legit write up, so stop twisting things to fit your agenda. The write up doesn't mean the tweeter is an appropriate one for vintage Polk speakers. Far from it.

FYI, it was you and garden that started using the LOL button on my posts. You reap what you sow.

So you weren't LOLing the article? The only thing left is what I found interesting in it, and my appreciation of the author.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Question for The Hive

Given the differences in the 2000 and 194, what combo of qualities makes them interchangeable?

Is there something on paper that makes the Dayton appear as a bad choice?

Dayton
    zczapqw6i06n.jpeg
    pmozbab0sjuh.jpeg

Polk
    j7it349i3tok.jpeg
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I'll take a stab at it. I think the three most important parameters for voicing compatibility in the crossover (without mods to tweak) would be: 1) avg. impedance, 2) min. impedance, and 3) Sensitivity.

Min. impedance can be read from the graphs that Darqueknight gave us and the one on the Parts-Express site.

I get: SL2000 = 7.8 Ohms @ 4200Hz, RD0194 = 6.8 @ 4200, DC28FT-8 = 6.0 @ 2800.
    Ave. is hard to graphically eyeball. Best to use the raw data and calculate.

Darqueknight didn't measure sensitivities afaik. DC28FT is spec'd at 89db with no freq. given.

If a tweeter is lower impedance but also lower sensitivity, I *think* it is possible for things to balance out.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Question for The Hive

Given the differences in the 2000 and 194, what combo of qualities makes them interchangeable?

Dayton
    zczapqw6i06n.jpeg
    pmozbab0sjuh.jpeg

Polk
    j7it349i3tok.jpeg

According to those specs they aren't even on the same planet. Polk R & Ded the RD0 tweeters as drop in "upgrades" for at the time a 12-15 year old design (sl2000, 2500 & 3000).

The RD0's are not and were not and "off the shelf", "close enough to work" product. They were designed by Polk with their own speaker lines in mind.

Your speakers to do what you want, but Holy F just throwing things against the wall to see if they stick is such a waste. You yourself said you're on a very tight budget. That money could have been used elsewhere in your rig to actually make a difference.

smh

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xschop
    Options
    The RD-0194's are a waste of cash/time IMO. If you get a pair that don't resonate, you're lucky. I believe Polk may have developed the -198 to ameliorate the -194's lack luster performance.

• nooshinjohn
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Don’t you just love it when new people show up and think they know better than 25 years worth of research that has been done by members of this forum regarding the SDA speakers. Work that has been done by Matt Polk himself, and others all of a sudden means nothing to these people. I’m tired of contributing to posts made by people who have no understanding of speaker design, SDA, or anything else. More than happy to help anyone that wants to learn but if you want to redesign you’re on your own, and don't think for a second that what you have is still a Polk speaker... all you have is a cabinet that was built by Polk.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• F1nut
    Options

Everything.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Tell Matt he wasted his time on the -194's.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    What is the significance of Zmax resonant peak and ratio of Zmax/Zmin? RD0194 has the highest (worst?) at 4.1. SL2000 (3.1), SL2500 (2.1), SL3000 (2.5), RD0198 (1.8) and Dayton (1.4).

Dayton has by far the lowest Fs due to the back chambered design which is an advantage for liberal choices of XO point in 2 way designs. Back chamber absorption of back wave is said to provide greater detail by higher end manufacturers such as Jean Maurer.

Too bad we don't know the sensitivities for the Polk tweeters, even though DATS apparently will measure that for you with the right set up.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS