New SVS SB2000

mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,454
Hello,

Was wanting to replace the bedroom sub, old HSU STF-2. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/196698/whats-up-with-craigs-list-lately#latest

I ordered the SVS SB2000 (non pro) from the July 4th sale. Received the sub on Thursday.

Got home from work, wife was taking a nap out in the living room. I proceeded in swapping the subs, running calibration without waking her up. Played a little music @ -25db and ok not bad, I didn't want to wake her up so didn't go louder. Downstairs there was no more booooomey going thru the family room, could still hear it but no big bass boom.

After a few CD's thought I'd try a movie, Edge of Tomorrow. Oops! This SB2000 came to life I thought that cone was going to blow out the speaker WTF entire room was shaking and I was still at -25db. Wife came upstairs was all pissed off screaming that I am trying to knock the house down. She then sat down and watched the rest of the movie.

I now want the big brother SB16, then again my VTF3 is no slouch.

I took the HSU to work. Was just going to store it till I figured out what to do with it. Co-worker asked me to hook it up. Within 5 minutes he handed me $100, cool sold.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    You mentioned Hsu twice but two different model numbers. If that’s correct, which did you sell?

😢 a missed opportunity for an upgrade.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mrloren
    Sold the STF-2 for $100. VTF3 is in my family room
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
    After a week with this sub I am enjoying it.

I can only compare it to an old HSU STF-2.

For music it's a tad better a little tighter more output.

For movies it's insane. Been watching The Terminal List. Oh my just slamming great bass. Well worth it.

So now I am saving to replace the VTF3, It will be either a single SB16 or dual SB3000. Just don't have the room for dual subs. Might still try to make it work.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Congrats on the SVS and Edge Of Tommorow will definitely put your Sub to the test. Enjoy
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    When I came back to the Illinois house I needed a sub and was lucky to pick up Tony B's used SB2000 but then the July 4 sale came along and I couldn't pass up the chance to get another. I've run the room EQ a few times but it's perhaps still too hot, the pottery on the shelves are rattling.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    stevep wrote: »
    When I came back to the Illinois house I needed a sub and was lucky to pick up Tony B's used SB2000 but then the July 4 sale came along and I couldn't pass up the chance to get another. I've run the room EQ a few times but it's perhaps still too hot, the pottery on the shelves are rattling.

Sounds proper. Just remove the pottery. 😎
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mrloren
    My wife went to LA today for work:) I made a point to get off work on time and came home...

Midway @ -12db...What a violent little beast of a sub this is.

So I took it down stairs set it on top of the VTF3 and a quick calibration then continued the movie... nope the beast went away in the bigger open family room. Took it back upstairs and the beast returned.

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    edited July 2022
    My Martin Logan used to rattle the room before I spiked it to the 16" sq. concrete patio blocks sandwiching 2 bicycle inner tubes, minimally inflated with viscoelastomeric isolators against the floor and a steel brace to the wall. Imagine what that does to the voice coil movements in your other speakers. ;)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • diholf57
    diholf57 Posts: 4
    The SVS is a good choice
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    You should get the SVS isolation feet for your sub. I tried them on my HSU when I had it and liked the result.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    ^+1 on the SVS feet, especially if using on hardwood, or the like.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Yea, I forgot to mention it was on a hardwood floor. Glad you did.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    mrloren wrote: »
    After a week with this sub I am enjoying it.

I can only compare it to an old HSU STF-2.

For music it's a tad better a little tighter more output.

For movies it's insane. Been watching The Terminal List. Oh my just slamming great bass. Well worth it.

So now I am saving to replace the VTF3, It will be either a single SB16 or dual SB3000. Just don't have the room for dual subs. Might still try to make it work.

I have dual SB3000's, excellent for movies and music. I will probably never go with a single sub again. Highly recommended!