Pairing Monitor 5 with Sony TA-70 Integrated Amp

Options
I've been going a bit crazy on Marketplace lately and have just acquired a beautiful pair of early Monitor 5s, a perfect match to the Monitor 7s which have pride of place in the living room. The 5s will become the center of a kitchen/dining room setup (a fairly small room).

I've also grabbed a few early Sony clock radios and am falling hard for the polished teak and chrome look! A TA-70 (with matching tuner) come up locally and I'm tempted to get it to drive the 5s.

My concern is that it will be under powered and overall will not do justice to these speakers. I can't find consistent specs for the TA-70 but it's either 8w or 30w per side. I know there are cheaper and better matches out there but I love the looks of these late 60s Sony products.

4riljdvhcyw9.jpg
1x9nqsnd8y0c.jpg
0d29odrsrmte.jpg

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Give it a try. I'd say if the volume knob can't do the job at half-way, then look elsewhere.

I liked the vintage look too.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • WestCoastPowHound
    Options
    Some googling led me to this article (which coincidentally features a picture of the Sony amp I'm considering).

https://www.psaudio.com/blogs/copper/how-much-power-do-i-need

Too small of a power amp can clip the amplifier and fry your tweeter

https://sound-au.com/tweeters.htm

This article seems to say that distortion from the amp is behind what causes tweeter damage, whether over or under powered. The distortion specs I can find on that Sony aren't great (2% or 5%).

I'm also looking at a Sansui 1000x which might be a safer option (and less expensive).

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Studying the topology of the TA70 I would say it's 8wpc @ 8ohms. As long as you don't expect rock concert volume levels it will drive your speakers without issue.

While the 2% THD rating is high by today's standards I seriously doubt you'll notice it, especially since you will be using the set up in a small kitchen/dining room area.

You are confusing THD with clipping distortion. Clipping is the result of over driving the amp (volume turned up too high) and has nothing to do with the total harmonic distortion rating.

IMO, for that vintage consumer grade gear the Pioneer stuff sounds better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WestCoastPowHound
    Options
    Thanks for the input F1Nut, and for the clarification of THD vs clipping distortion.

I'll take your advice and consider Pioneer receivers, there are several good candidates available locally.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Receivers are one thing, an integrated amp and matching tuner are something different.

You should be aware that any gear that old will need service unless it has already been done.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WestCoastPowHound
    Options
    I think this might do the trick.

34sh7b5wcnow.jpg
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Looks like something mhardy dragged home. Should pair up better power-wise.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.