opinions on this turntable...

Options
nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,117
edited April 2023 in 2 Channel Audio
nj58ycgkox5h.jpg
d8d2f0dsh852.jpgn0yorv5dishh.jpg

Rotel RP-9400, designed by Micro Seiki and marketed by them as the DQ-44.
It is a fully automated table, but there is zero information out there for either table with regards to reviews or performance. I am going to pick it up later today for 350.00, as it looks to be like new and was just serviced. The plinth is walnut veneer that is a near match for the Legends...
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,797
    Options
    Looks pretty good. I haven't heard any Rotel TT's but this one looks pretty solid.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I don't have knowledge of that model but I was going to guess it was built by another company for Rotel.

I'd spend $350 on one in that shape. It helps to know it's a rebadged DQ-44.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    Not sure about reviews, but I guess you saw that VinylEngine has both the instruction and service manuals for it, which include the specs.

I'm sure you'll do this anyway, but make sure to fully test all functions on it before purchasing. Looks to be a quality deck, especially with the Micro Seiki heritage, but fully-auto decks of that age can get flakey. Do you know exactly what was involved with the servicing?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,117
    Options
    Not a member of vinyl engine unfortunately... It was taken apart, cleaned and recapped, then lubricated and reassembled. The dust cover in in nice shape as well. The color is a near exact match for the L800's, which makes for a nice look. I still need to find a phono stage however.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,068
    Options
    kaavqm2lqwep.png

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/rotel/rp9400.shtml

we're here for you, old son! Enablers that we are...
    B)
  • jdjohn
    Options
    That wood does look nice. If you plan on keeping that AT cart, I'd recommend getting a phonostage with low capacitance.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Handsome deck! I am a fan of Micro Seiko tables myself...

9bu33neleuh5.jpg
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Honestly if it’s nostalgia or just the visual appearance you’re after, go for it. Otherwise I would pass.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    Not a member of vinyl engine unfortunately... It was taken apart, cleaned and recapped, then lubricated and reassembled. The dust cover in in nice shape as well. The color is a near exact match for the L800's, which makes for a nice look. I still need to find a phono stage however.

I’m considering selling of my vinyl rig and have a nice Channel Island phono I got from Drew. If you’re interested, shoot me a pm and I’ll try to make a final decision on getting rid of my vinyl…or not.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,475
    Options
    Well join it, Marine! It's free! Good resource. Unless you only like listening to records for the music, but who does that.

I like that table, John. Looking forward to your impressions when you get it set up and following along as you get it dialed. Give you something else to tweak. Besides your own nipps. For a change.
    agfrost wrote: »
    z46xhxtlpsaa.png
    So YOU're one of the members with a Micro Seiki! I remembered seeing some photos over the years, and have a loose interest in checking one out. No particular reason other than one of my favorite musicians uses one. Not sure which model. He's a big fan of vinyl, takes an active role in the production of his solo and band's records. Wrote a somewhat comedically short bit about vinyl and "kids and their iPods" in his book, Black Postcards. Good writer. Subtle, low key humor. The artist is Dean Wareham of Galaxie 500 and Luna. He's one of those fake Australians - you know, a New Zealander. :DB)
    I jest, I jest! - Flight of the Conchords, anyone?

@dromunds @pumpkinman
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    Options

9bu33neleuh5.jpg
    Very nice! I especially like the over-sized platter.
    That MA-505 is a great arm - I have the regular length and the 505L longer version.

Stayed tuned for a new (to me) MS coming my way ;)

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,524
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Well join it, Marine! It's free! Good resource. Unless you only like listening to records for the music, but who does that.

I like that table, John. Looking forward to your impressions when you get it set up and following along as you get it dialed. Give you something else to tweak. Besides your own nipps. For a change.
    z46xhxtlpsaa.png
    So YOU're one of the members with a Micro Seiki! I remembered seeing some photos over the years, and have a loose interest in checking one out. No particular reason other than one of my favorite musicians uses one. Not sure which model. He's a big fan of vinyl, takes an active role in the production of his solo and band's records. Wrote a somewhat comedically short bit about vinyl and "kids and their iPods" in his book, Black Postcards. Good writer. Subtle, low key humor. The artist is Dean Wareham of Galaxie 500 and Luna. He's one of those fake Australians - you know, a New Zealander. :DB)
    I jest, I jest! - Flight of the Conchords, anyone?

@dromunds @pumpkinman

Wow !! no ever wants my opinion. LOL
    Made by Micro Seiki plus serviced and at only $350. If I needed a table I wouldn’t hesitate at that price. As I’ve gotten older a fully automatic sounds like a winner. :smile:

My favorite cartridge is the Dynavector 20 XL low output moving coil. I couldn’t justify the cost to go farther up the in their line.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give