Magnifi Max SR - Five Years In - Editorial

LeeSoFL
LeeSoFL Posts: 118
edited April 2022 in Troubleshooting
It's a shame. Back in 2017, this was a highly anticipated soundbar.

However, it was plagued by problems with the software since the start, and for more than a year, I was one of (possibly) many, that worked with Polk to help determine if crackling, popping, disconnect issue and the like were addressed with numerous updates. It took the better part of 18 months for my Magnifi Max SR to stop acting up. It got to the point where every time the rear speakers "snapped," the dog would freak out, running away as if to avoid a burst of fireworks.

To this day, I still hear a digital warbling (gurgle) on low musical passages from the ARC output to the soundbar.

This model has been put through many attempts at correction, and here, now at almost 5 years of ownership, and 3 1/2 years of generally acceptable performance, I am offing this Polk model. It was never as good as it was supposed to be.

Comments

• LeeSoFL
    Jan 2023 - Sold it, got rid of it and its lousy performance. Endless problems that would temporarily get solved only to return out of nowhere.

Got a Sony HT A7000 soundbar with the bigger sub and better surrounds. Pure heaven. Works great right out of the box, with endless customizable settings.
  • LeeSoFL
    I was shocked to receive the Magnifi Max AX (bar and sub) a few days ago. There was no contact or email; just a FedEx delivery notification. Polk sent me a new soundbar, very interesting.

I'd had the original Max SR, (as you can read above) but a few months ago, I got a new Sony 85Z9K (wonderful) and the HTA 7000 soundbar with sub and surrounds. I got rid of the Polk, and used an older Sony soundbar in the den, along with the now replaced 75Z9D.

Anyway, I swapped out the old Sony soundbar and set up this new Magnifi Max AX. Now we're talking! This sounds really good. It's only been in use for a week, but so far, no major issues. Appreciate this consideration, Sound United.

h62l3ctxssqd.png
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    That's great news, thanks for letting us know.
  • summerguy
    summerguy Posts: 7
    I have the same issue. I have bought the first version of this sound bard with the sr speaker. It did cost me near 950$ cad.

Any way I could have a compensation like LeeSoFL?

I have not been able to enjoy this sound bar since day one. Cracking /popping noises all over the sub and sr speakers. The sub is clearly not set with the correct crossover low pass filter. I have to reset the bar every weeks to be able to listen to dolby and dts content. This is my only way to listen to dts movie content right now, but it is not a good experience. Also, plugin it the conventional way via arc is messing up everything( it is very hard to explain, )Finally the chromecast never worked (At the very moment I just reseted the sound bar and the google home app complained that the sound bar is a model from another country (what the…( I bought it In canada at Bestbuy, the very first week It came out).

Honestly, having a new sound bar magnifi max ax would be great.
  • summerguy
    summerguy Posts: 7
    hjzetz38b01k.png
    Just saw my comment from 5 years ago in may 2018