Just Experienced my first MOFI One-Step Vinyl

Options
Call me a BELIEVER!

All the drama with the DSD remastering stuff aside.

I purchased a new copy of “Desperado” off of Discogs a few weeks back and just got around to playing it. Started off with side B of LP one so I could hear “Tequila Sunrise” and the title track. From the needle drop I was impressed with the dark background and lack of pops and ticks. There is obviously some surface noise as there will always be with vinyl but I’m sure this is the quietest album I’ve listened to in my room. Imaging is beautiful with a strong center image and great instrument separation during Tequila Sunrise’s Intro.

They are not cheap but worth a listen if you are looking for quality vinyl and the packaging and collector vibe it gives off is a nice added touch. I preordered “Hotel California” and James Taylor “Greatest Hits” about a year ago so I’m itching for them to be released now

-Zach
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    Options
    Yes, they sound damn good, but flipping sides every 10 minutes is ridiculous.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,196
    Options
    I have to agree with you on that one. I really dislike 45RPM vinyl for that reason but damn it sounds so sweet

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,670
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I love the 45 rpm One Steps. They all sound really good. You should also look into the Analogue Productions 45 rpm’s including the UHQRs.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,196
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    I love the 45 rpm One Steps. They all sound really good. You should also look into the Analogue Productions 45 rpm’s including the UHQRs.

I don’t have any UHQRs but do have a AP pressing of Counting Crows “August and Everything After”. I’ll have to look back through their catalog, when I looked through a few months back nothing really tickled my fancy. Any suggestions?

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,122
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I haven’t flipped an LP in two years now… I do have a couple one-steps, and I agree, they are top shelf.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    Options
    According to the mastering guru Steve Hoffman there is no justification for going with 45 rpm.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,529
    Options
    Interestingly to me,

I bought the 45RPM Rumours and it changed the way I listen to
    the album. Now I start where I want and usually don't listen to the
    whole thing depending on what I'm in the mood for.

It does sound good though.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,976
    Options
    When I see a new release and note it's 45rpm...that's as far as I go. A shame because they probably do sound really good, but getting up that often to flip a record isn't my idea of chillaxin'.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,078
    Options
    You know... I think I might have one or two 16 inch, 16 rpm transcription disks for all y'all couch potatoes...

:#;):D

(ahem)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,492
    Options
    Why stop at 45rpm - why not go 78rpm and one track per side? that's what I'm holding out for. why? I have no idea.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    That's why I have one of these...your song is just a click away

Don't judge me!!

https://youtu.be/GIvwvwebta8
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    Options
    We had that same player. In fact, I think I have it in my nostalgia box.
    If my brother didn't steal it along with all my records.
    I disabled signatures.
  • 55SLA70
    55SLA70 Posts: 45
    Options
    I have about a dozen 45-rpm records (MFSL, Analogue Productions, etc.) and also find it tiresome in flipping them so often. I'm thinking about digitally copying them to a SSD HD and then running that through my Marantz ND8006's dac. I just picked up a laptop that'll help me with that. When I get the time, I'll figure out the rest of what I need to do. I have a busy spring ahead of me.
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    Yes, they truly are something special.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,620
    edited April 2023
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Why stop at 45rpm - why not go 78rpm and one track per side? that's what I'm holding out for. why? I have no idea.

Over half of my record collection is one track per side 45rpm drum n bass singles.
  • msg
    Options
    how long are the tracks? 8 to 15 minutes? or shorter with a lot of waste?
    I have one or two albums that are three sides - the second record only has one side.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,620
    Options
    Yeah I would say 6-8 min average per track.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    According to the mastering guru Steve Hoffman there is no justification for going with 45 rpm.

That's like all the PCM gurus who say there is no justification for DSD/SACD.
    55SLA70 wrote: »
    I have about a dozen 45-rpm records (MFSL, Analogue Productions, etc.) and also find it tiresome in flipping them so often. I'm thinking about digitally copying them to a SSD HD and then running that through my Marantz ND8006's dac.

My single-sided 45 rpm records are among the crown jewels in my music collection. I enjoy them even more as DSD rips on my music server.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!