I want to set up R-350 as rear speakers?

Options
It says they're a very versatile speaker and I was thinking they would make better rear speakers than the r-200s. Perhaps I would mount them vertically? Anyway what's your guys opinion on this over using the r200s?

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    The R350 is a center channel speaker. The R200 would work much better as rears.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Andons27
    Andons27 Posts: 42
    Options
    This is the review I read: The R350 gets a number of things right from slim size to multiple drivers to handle power better which you need in Alas, it violates a key aspect of speaker design which is using multiple woofers flanking a tweeter. This always causes cancellations in the horizontal axis and we see it as a very extreme case of that. This completely rules out this speaker for its intended purpose: center speaker. Unless you are single and listen in one spot, the R350 simply is not good for this use. Using vertically on each side of the speaker is fine.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I'd be surprised if Polk didn't do what they've always done with center channel speakers, which is have the different drivers play limited frequency ranges.
    Using vertically on each side of the speaker is fine.
    Huh???

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Andons27
    Options
    Polk recommends using the speaker as a center, or vertically as a front L/R.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Well, in theory one could use any center channel speaker in the vertical position. Make of that what you will.

President of Club Polk

• Andons27
    Options
    I mean in theory you could use any speaker as a center channel. You can see the design is different though. Most center channels the tweeter is positioned above the drivers, while with this speaker it is even with the other drivers. My assumption is polk didn't ideally design it as center channel speaker, but were marketing it as such because of the demand for a slim profile.
  • F1nut
    Options
    A Google image search shows the majority of center channel speakers have the tweeter positioned inline with the drivers.

President of Club Polk

• Andons27
    Options
    Yeah, I guess that is true. Looks more like half, but that makes me wonder why they would say some center channels speaker are multi-use? Or this other guy complaining about horizontal cancellations etc?
  • sm1th5
    sm1th5 Posts: 14
    Options
    You must be joking to think of using this over the r200 for surrounds.

These don't have good reviews at all.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    The R-350 is designed as a L-C-R which if you know anything about home theater that means Left Center Right. Using them as surround OR as all 5 Channels I'm willing to bet would make for a pretty awesome 5 floor level system.

In Home theater history , many companies have made this design speaker like Focal , B&W , Definitive Technology, Triad, Kef to name a few. Polk's been in business for quite a few years now and I would think their engineers would know by now how to design a L-C-R style speaker.

Where are the bad reviews of the R-350? I'd like to read one. I never got to hear them for myself.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.