What years were these Polkstands used?

I have two versions. One wood top, one stamped metal.

Looking around the net while increasing my Polk Knowledge, I ran across info stating “two versions”.
What years were each used?

I know there is the first, low style version also.

Thanks. h4a2ifznabk4.jpeg
3e2k6t89o1e6.jpeg

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,527
    Last weekend, I ran across the box for the stamped metal 10B ones I sent to @msg. I'll be near it again tomorrow and see if there's a copyright date or any other indicators on it for you.

And, no, @msg, it wasn't substantially smaller than the "big A--" box I sent them to you in. 😉😄

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    You have a better chance at winning a lottery than nailing down what years those stands were used.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wispolkboy
    wispolkboy Posts: 149
    I had the metal ones that I bought with my m10's back in '83
    M7's 1982 Peerless tweeters
    M5's X2 (1981 Peerless tweeters, 1988 with upgraded tweeters)
    M4's X2 both with Peerless tweeters
    M5Jr with SL1500 (in the garage, they sound great)
    M4.6 series2 X2 with upgraded tweeters
    SDA 2 with upgraded tweeters
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 305
    wispolkboy wrote: »
    I had the metal ones that I bought with my m10's back in '83

This is a start. Thanks. 👍
  • bcwsrt
    There are no date indicators on the box I have. I basically have no recollection of when I bought my 10Bs, but it had to be 1985 +/-.

I love the “Show Respect!” 😁

o99pbx8fdfep.jpeg

nt6j4qmsrdpk.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Wagner box?

I don't mind if she is. :*
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited March 2023
    In the 70's and 80's I frequently made the rounds of all three or four hi-fi stores (before the Best Buy's and Circuit City's) in Omaha.

One store carried Polk Audio. I went there all the time as it was nearby. I bought 7's and 10's before the SDA's came out. Those monitor's were never displayed on the stands. They just had them up off floor level 4-6 inches on a carpeted riser's in audio listening rooms. You could sit in a chair to be at ear level when auditioning.

I never once saw the Polk stands nor were they ever mentioned by the sales people when I bought my speakers.

I believe in those days Polk would occasionally send some company rep., sales etc. to check on their dealers to see that they were presenting their products in the best possible way, including displaying and offering the Polk stands etc.

I may have just missed the stands too. The sales person dropped the ball failing to mention them, if they had them, they might have sold me stands too.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited March 2023
    My Monitor 5A's, that I bought from the original owner, came with stands like those with the single post in the middle and wood tops. The speakers were dated 1983.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • bcwsrt
    Pretty cool that people on here want to find this kind of stuff out, whether you actually can, or not!

Brian

• odcics2
    Agreed. I’ll have to post pics of my original Monitor 7 speakers that are full of insulation, top to bottom.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    I actually had no idea the metal ones were a polk item..
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    When I bought my speakers in 1979, it was this version that they tried to sell me but since I was already stretching my budget, I made my own with particle board and black formica. Don't quote me on this but I can almost swear the center pedestal section was not as tall, and the one I made has 6" pedestal height in the front.

97cv25clz1ws.png
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    psn00rvlm8pk.jpg

For my 10's I eventually purchased these locally. I still have them. The top plate on mine is not level
    so the speakers are tilted back slightly. I know they are the same brand.
  • odcics2
    Both types of Polkstands are heavy, as compared to a similar sized Plateau stand, for example.
  • Gardenstater
    Here's a different looking one from an ad from Oct. 1989.

tc3z5v4unik1.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Did they have a Polk part # for lead shot?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    xschop wrote: »
    Did they have a Polk part # for lead shot?

But they discontinued it after 1989? 😂
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • odcics2

tc3z5v4unik1.jpg

Look where the logo is on the 10. Above the mounting pegs for the grille.
    Apparently, it gets covered up when the grille is installed.

• bcwsrt
    I think that was just to mimic the placement on the grille to keep the brand highly visible for the marketing photo. My 10s didn’t have a logo behind the grille.

Brian

• Gardenstater
    Yeah, the grill would not have even gone on the speaker with that there.

For that matter, if they did something like that, those stands may have never even been offered as a product but may have been just for window dressing in this ad.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    What angle do the original factory stands direct the speaker at?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • odcics2
    xschop wrote: »
    What angle do the original factory stands direct the speaker at?

6 degrees, actual measurement.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    odcics2 wrote: »

tc3z5v4unik1.jpg

Look where the logo is on the 10. Above the mounting pegs for the grille.
    Apparently, it gets covered up when the grille is installed.

Sheesh guys, it's a promo photo shot. The Polk logo never went there and Polk never sold those stands.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    edited March 2023
    LOL, yeah, I forgot the LOL on my comment! ;)

This is what happens when marketing gets involved... :D
    Post edited by odcics2 on
  • bcwsrt
    That stand looks photoshopped to me!

Brian

• odcics2
    Found a Monitor 7 owners manual.

Note the stand shown.

A couple of excerpts with room placement advice.

vbcyucl34ra9.jpeg
    wgxq40xioe6j.jpeg
    krodsxygg2lk.jpeg

Mine are very close to 6 feet apart, tweeter to tweeter.
    I sit about 11.5 feet away.