UHD Blu ray Players

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
Hello everyone,
With the decline of good players on the market, there really isn't a good player to buy anymore from what I'm seeing. Sony makes the 800 player which is fair but it has it's quirks. I remember seeing a strange brand that came out maybe last year? Not sure but I saw a review on YouTube about it and it's menu's where exactly the same as Oppo UHD 203. Anyone know what brand that was?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    Found it. Looks interesting. I wonder if Oppo had their players built by someone else? I never researched this as when I was able to buy a Oppo 203 years ago , I jumped on it.
    This new player I'm gonna assume is almost exactly the same. They use the same software at very least.https://youtu.be/7fixzuJOWzo
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited March 2023
    Options
    The firmware definitely looks like what Oppo was using. I don't think there's another equivalent player on the market that plays everything including SACD and DVD-Audio over stereo analog and HDMI. The $1599 price may or may not be reasonable but it seems to be a niche market these days.

The only other viable options I'm aware of are the two Panasonic 4K players. If I was in the market I'd still go for a Panasonic UB9000P at $950. But my Oppo players still work flawlessly.

Video of the Magnetar player here that shows the inside of the player starting around the 6 minute mark. The cheap power supply looks a little suspect for the price (Oppo 203 level at triple the original MSRP) but otherwise it looks like the company put some thought into the production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJqYBm8aH8
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I understand the company that makes the UDP-800 under the Magnetar name intends to produce higher end models in future. For reference, the Oppo UDP-205 had a decent toroidal transformer. The UDP-800 seems like it may have a better, more recently designed, video processing section with a larger heat sink. There was a company that built aftermarket toroidal power supply boards for the Oppo UDP-203. I didn't do that upgrade because of the cost on a product I was already happy with but I understand the improvements were substantial. At $1599 I would expect the Magnetar player to have a better power supply already in it than the one that was in the UDP-203.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The only other viable options I'm aware of are the two Panasonic 4K players. If I was in the market I'd still go for a Panasonic UB9000P at $950.
    I’m fairly certain the two Pano players you allude to are 8K (the 9000 & it’s lower $’d siblings). I’m watching the model below* the 9K. The main differences are deciding capabilities and a few hardware, like inputs & outputs. Otherwise they share many of the same chassis & transport parts.
    *model # escapes me at the moment.

Any chance the…
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Magnetar
    …is Sony’s attempt at a Lexus/Acura/Infinity sort of player?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJqYBm8aH8

Thanks. Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Emlyn
    Options
    The Panasonic UB9000P1K can upscale at up to 4K resolution (3840 x 2160). The half priced UB820 has the same video section with its excellent HDR optimizer features.

If someone has an 8K display the TV would upscale a 4K player's output to 8K resolution but that would be true of operating the display with any disc spinner. I think the build quality on the UB9000P1K is worth the extra money vs the UB820 and would be what I would buy currently if one of my Oppo players stops working.