Irregardless

Options
13»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    I love cuttin' loose like that with folks from other walks of life. So much laughter and fun! (and stories just like that)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    I grew up in North Carolina and moved to Idaho in my 20's. Folks in the Appalachian region of NC (and other parts of Appalachia) use the term "poke" to refer to what's called a paper bag or paper sack here in Idaho (Tom's heard "poke" no doubt). Here in Idaho a river-running, NC native, friend of mine pulled a Main Salmon rafting permit (the permits are few and lottery controlled). He invited some of his rural relatives from western NC to come out for the trip. On the way to the put-in they stopped at the North Fork, Idaho general store for supplies (find North Fork on the map). One of his male relatives came to the counter with an armload of snacks, fishing lures, all sorts of odds and ends. After the female cashier rang him up and didn't give him a bag, he looked at her and said "ain't you going to give me a poke!?" My friend had to rush in, intervene, and say, "he means a paper sack!!"
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    Yea, the U.K. has a lot of different dialects for the square miles it takes up. My family there is Welsh and it takes me awhile to understand everything being said, esp from my cousin who talkes fast anyhow. One night on the bus my cousin was talking with the only other person there to which I couldn't understand even 5% of what the guy was saying. When the stranger hopped off the bus I asked my cousin what the heck he was going on about and he replied he too didn't understand a bloody word out of his mouth....made me feel a bit better.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,123
    Options
    You're only too right about the UK accents. The Scottish ones always amaze me - people from the southern part of Scotland (like Glasgow) can be completely unintelligible, but the people in the far north just have a little lilt. And, of course there is always Northern Ireland. This guy is speakng English !!

https://youtu.be/SlQnpFbV7ag
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,272
    edited March 2023
    Options
    engie490 wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Bohica is a word.

No, it’s an acronym.

Our fairly new ship had a contest to see what department
    or division could suggest the best motto for our ship.
    So we, wishing to be accurate,
    suggested "BOHICA" with "Our Screws Never Stop" .

The winning suggestion:
    "Prepared in Mind and Resources".

What...the..hello dolly...kind..
    ....of...bull...baloney...is...that !

"Weee, look out here comes the good ship Lollipop !"

BOHICA was better 😠
    Sal Palooza
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    OleBoot wrote: »
    You're only too right about the UK accents. The Scottish ones always amaze me - people from the southern part of Scotland (like Glasgow) can be completely unintelligible, but the people in the far north just have a little lilt. And, of course there is always Northern Ireland. This guy is speakng English !!

https://youtu.be/SlQnpFbV7ag

One of my old bosses was from Scotland. We would have morning meetings where he'd talk kinda like this only a little slower. Eventually he'd stop and everyone assumed he was done and would get up and leave. There was a guy who could understand him clearly and translate. I'd ask my boss something, he'd reply in this jibberish. Then I'd stare at him for a few seconds while the gears were turning in my head. Finally I'd look over at my co-worker/ interpreter and say " I'm sorry. WTF did he just say????" And he'd tell me what he said. Then my boss would say some more jibberish clearly irritated that I couldn't understand what he was saying and I'd say " never mind , I think I know what he was trying to say." Then I'd go to work.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    How is this even a real word? It makes zero sense. Regardless already means without regard. Adding "ir" in front of it sounds like a double negative to me so how does it actually work because obviously I'm wrong seeing as it's a word in the dictionary. Why isn't irredeemless a word then?

I think this is a valid question. I say we get some of them grammar n@z!s from fascistbook over here to explain it, or is that irrelevant? ;)
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Y’all’s ignent!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Thought I'd re-post this from a few years ago.
    jdjohn wrote:
    Nice little thrift store find from my dad. The kit includes a telescopic arm w/ light, and attachments for magnets and mirrors. The mirrors can be especially useful.
    3b83cxv3m3nx.png
    As a plus, the case was hand-labeled by the original owner.
    g71hojj2wle9.png
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I would love to get back John Lennon… but it might be best to just let it be, unless you want a revolution.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,272
    Options
    #9 ?
    Sal Palooza
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Ok my pet peeve! We dont live in a DEMOCRACY! We live in a constitutional republic! What's the difference you say.... A democracy is 2 Wolves and a rabit voting on what's for DINNER. A constitutional republic is 2 wolves and a very well ARMED rabit discussing the results. Learn the difference please.8p5pwp1e6o9i.jpg
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    ^^^ yes, I stole that one.