Original Owner Of Monitor 5JR Plus

Comments

• melchionda
    melchionda Posts: 79
    edited March 2023
    The plot thickens. Having just finished another upgrade project I couldn't help but tear into these Polks. I guess I'm not crazy but I am a little confused. I guess these really are Polk Monitor 5Jr+ speakers even though the name plate on the back says "Polk Monitor 5" (See my earlier post with a photo of that). Both the woofer as well as the tweeter are stamped "M5 JR +" Can someone tell me what speakers these are? Also, about the tweeter. Is the SL2000 the desireable tweeter?

2lqnshkulms5.png
    m4cblchrrsn0.png
    hlckoxmkxkl2.png
    6m6p0raj70u1.png
    rbhodlsd6arv.png
    itkyj3ab1tv0.png
    Yamaha RX-A2080 HT Receiver in 5.4.4 configurationYamaha A-S2200 Integrated Amp Powering an extra set of Front SpeakersAudioLab 6000N Network Streamer Connected to Spotify and Amazon HD Music4 10" Subwoofers Powered By Dayton Audio 1200 DSP Amps4 In ceiling Atmos SpeakersSpeakers:Warfedale Diamond 9.1 (Front and Rear L+R)Polk Monitor 5 Jr+ (Front L+R)Martin Logan Motion SLM XL (Center Channel)Subwoofers 2x Dayton Audio RS270-8 10" Reference WooferSubwoofers 2x Dayton Audio RSS265HO-44 10" Reference Series HO DVC Subwoofer
  • melchionda
    edited March 2023
    I'm thinking that since the inductors are both air core inductors I'll keep those and just get a new capacitor and resistor and build out a new crossover on a piece of MDF. I'll also plug the current circular hole and put in some higher quality binding posts. I have an extra set of GR Research Tube Connectors that I was thinking I would use for this. What is the little blue thing? Is that the "protection switch"/fuse that I've heard some people mention?
    Yamaha RX-A2080 HT Receiver in 5.4.4 configurationYamaha A-S2200 Integrated Amp Powering an extra set of Front SpeakersAudioLab 6000N Network Streamer Connected to Spotify and Amazon HD Music4 10" Subwoofers Powered By Dayton Audio 1200 DSP Amps4 In ceiling Atmos SpeakersSpeakers:Warfedale Diamond 9.1 (Front and Rear L+R)Polk Monitor 5 Jr+ (Front L+R)Martin Logan Motion SLM XL (Center Channel)Subwoofers 2x Dayton Audio RS270-8 10" Reference WooferSubwoofers 2x Dayton Audio RSS265HO-44 10" Reference Series HO DVC Subwoofer
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    edited March 2023
    Jumper the blue polyswitch when you add new caps and resistors.
    Those 5Jr+ crossovers are the same as 5Jr (non-passive radiator)

The SL2000s can either be modded for wuhan silks $20, or you can RDO them for and extra $120
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    edited March 2023
    SL2000 isn't spoken of highly on the forum and DarqueKnight's testing showed that (Tale of 5 Tweeters). RD0194 is the direct swap upgrade. RD0198 is the best but you have to slightly modify your crossover to use (and one of the connection fastons), as I said previously. You would probably have to use a couple of ClarityCap CSA 6.8uF (or other) in parallel to get close to the 13.5uF Polk used in the 5jr+ Series II. That is assuming they didn't change the wire awg, and thus the DC resistance of the inductors.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Why on earth would you cut the wires from the binding post and inductor to the crossover ?
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you cut the wires from the binding post and inductor to the crossover ?

Because I’m completely rebuilding the crossover with new parts.

• melchionda
    edited March 2023
    Here is a Pro tip on removing vinyl veneer from this speaker... Using a clothing iron and a layer of aluminum foil makes fast work of this job. I just put the iron on the hottest setting and put the piece of aluminum foil between the iron and the speaker. I then let the iron sit for about a minute, occasionally checking the vinyl. When it started to bubble I started pulling on the end of the vinyl. Its much easier if you don't tear the vinyl. Leave the peeled part nice and big so you can grab it. Also, only use a scraper to start the vinyl.... once you have pulled up a little piece start pulling on it with your fingers. It comes up really easy. I'm spending more time letting the iron warm up the vinyl than I am actually removing it.
  • In the last 30 minutes I just did three sides of this speaker. And no glue residue left behind either. 15y2dwfh7nhq.jpeg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    A heat gun is my choice.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• melchionda
    edited March 2023
    There are lots of options for crossover components I just pulled the trigger on these and was hoping you guys could tell me if I went wrong anywhere...

Note that I am also upgrading my tweeter to the RD0198-1.

Resistors
    https://www.parts-express.com/Mills-1-Ohm-12W-Non-Inductive-Resistor-005-1

Capacitors
    https://www.parts-express.com/Jantzen-0570-6.8uF-800V-Z-Superior-Capacitor-027-494

Coils
    https://meniscusaudio.com/product/0-56mh-18-ga/

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/0-20mh-20ga/ (Modified to .19mh and 22awg wire)

rgvsj1cxtwjc.png

• Gardenstater
    I don't know about going "wrong" but another option was these, on sale 20% off. They would have been about 1-1/4" less in length if space is an issue:

https://www.partsconnexion.com/AURIXO-75923.html
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • melchionda
    edited March 2023
    Double post….sorry
  • melchionda
    edited April 2023
    I see that my other thread about my 5JR+ veneer question has turned into more than just that.... I figured I would try to bring things back to this thread. So here are my progress pics so far.

Vinyl veneer removed

929ftqfrdb0d.png
  • Internal bracing via a 1" dowel as well as a patch over the crossover hole in the back wall.

alo0cneojla9.png
  • melchionda
    edited April 2023
    Filling in and sanding the back of the cabinets.

huriw7edidwi.png

gyrocanp37yn.png

jlhrk0xqiubm.png

• melchionda
    edited April 2023
    I removed the small "step" around the outside of the front baffle with my router and then filled in the groove with bondo.

pyo6cw5j5kyb.png

odas4asr207m.png

• I plan to remove the bevel around the front baffle and then create a round over out of solid walnut. In removing material from the top of the cabinet I exposed a void in the front baffle. Its interesting that Polk built these speakers with a void around the front baffle. Any one have any ideas as to what this may have been for? I plan to fill it in.

djuh2hrtrrqx.png

cqcx1b7ce0jd.png
  • melchionda
    edited April 2023
    Next... routing the front edges of the baffle and more bondo work.
  • melchionda
    edited April 2023
    I routed the front corners of the cabinets. I will fill these empty corners with a strip of Walnut so that I can route the front corners into a roundover.

itdjpuavr1gs.png

I shaved 1/2" off the top surface of the cabinets. I plan to replace the 1/2" of particle board that I removed with a 1/2" solid walnut.

3mqk7za1claj.png

Much like the top of the speaker cabinet, routing the front edges of the cabinet exposed a void. I filled the void with Titebond II. I also added a coat of flat black paint to the driver driver cut-outs.

lkhv3lr9quz7.png

Next step is to touch up some of the minor routing mistakes and then being adding the walnut corners, veneer and panel surfaces.

• xschop
    Great thread and great attention to detail.
  • melchionda
    edited April 2023
    Here is what I plan to do with those corners. (The square walnut moldings will be routed down so that they are flush 1/4 round with roughly a 1/2" radius.)
    xocpecyza43w.png
    223oh5dg3dtt.png

I had to add Bondo to the corner voids because the glue was shrinking too much.
    n0dyopnrzcx0.png

Starting to add Veneer
    db4d0awj4lw4.png
    8jkzx3kdsc0a.png

• The veneer went on easy, however I just ran into my first problem....

How do you route around the speaker driver holes with precision? I got a BOSCH 85285 1/4 In. x 1/4 In. Carbide 1-Flute Flush Trim Bit but the recesses on this baffle are not deep enough for it. I tried to grind off a bit of the tip of it but its tungsten carbide so its too hard to remove material from it.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Yikes,
    Template
    Press the baffle veneer between 2 pieces of 3/16 or thinner plywood
    Going to be like applying vinyl decals
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Gardenstater
    edited April 2023
    I think a rabbeting bit would work but I worry about chipping. The bearing on the bit will follow the thru hole, not the rabbet. You could try clamping some 1/4" Luan (maybe MDF would be better) or the like to the front baffle, that has holes cut out that are undersized relative to the speaker holes. That might prevent chipping of the veneer.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited April 2023
    I've got the tweeter bezel corners at 0.375" radius.
    If you can set up on a press with a 3/8" end mill, you could cut them that way...JAT

• xschop wrote: »
    I've got the tweeter bezel corners at 0.375" radius.
    If you can set up on a press with a 3/8" end mill, you could cut them that way...JAT

Unfortunately I do not have any tools like that. I have a router, chop saw and some dewalt hand tools and thats about it.

I was having some work done on my house so for the past few weeks I've had access to the tools my contractor had on site, but he finished the project and started to pull everything off of the site yesterday.
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 243
    edited April 2023
    Excited to see these when they are done! Since you put veneer on the sides first before gluing the other solid pieces on, will the end grain be visible at the top and bottom?
    Post edited by joebass3 on
  • Gardenstater
    edited April 2023
    That dado laminate trimmer tool has a minimum depth of "dado" requirement of 1/8" but if you have a bench grinder you could grind the end of it down but you will need the right wheel that can grind carbide. Offhand I do not know what would be best and most affordable. I know diamond would work. Edit - Green Silicon Carbide is good too.

A dremel tool or right angle grinder would work as well.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    How about a 3/8" leather punch to scribe, then use and exacto knife?