XT70 with 6-8 Ohm Receiver

I was just about to purchase a pair of XT70 speakers to replace some 26 year old Pioneer speakers. Before I did, I noticed that they were rated at 4 Ohms. My amplifier is the Yamaha RX-V485 with a minimum of 6 Ohm. There is a selection in the menu system for either 6 or 8 Ohm speakers.

In the Specs for the XT70 speakers and in the manual they are listed at 4 ohms. In the Question and Answers on the Best Buy site, someone asked this question and a Polk rep said they were compatible. The Polk website says they are compatible with 4 and 8 ohm outputs, but isn't that more of a function of the amplifier? If the amp can work hard enough for 4 ohm speakers?

Please help me out here. Assume I should at least set my amp to 6 ohm, but will my receiver overheat?

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    If Polk says they are compatible with 8 ohm amplifiers then you are good to go. As long as you are not blasting it you should probably be fine. Your receiver is definitely not a power house so if you want everything to last, keep it down.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Multiple online sellers list them at 8 ohms. Therefore, they are compatible with any power source rated to drive 4 to 8 ohm loads.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mattg43
    mattg43 Posts: 3
    edited March 2023
    Thank you for the feedback.

I am actually thinking about spending the extra money for the ES55 speakers as they are listed at 8 ohms. I'm not sure what my setup would sound like with 8 ohm center (CS10) and rear (T15) and 4 ohm L/R. Would you agree?

Edit: I see what you mean by the different listings, Crutchfield has them both at 8 ohms, Best Buy has the XT70 at 4 ohms and ES55 at 8 ohms. It's either one or the other. Not sure what Polk means by saying they are "compatible" with 4 or 8 ohm receivers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Again, it means you can use any power source rated to drive 4 to 8 ohm loads. The speakers are rated at 8 ohms nominal meaning your AVR is fine to use with them on the 8 ohm setting.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk