Ifi has a inexpensive Ethernet filter

Just ordered one , will be here Friday going to use it until my muon pro gets here and maybe use both if it sounds better. I can use this into switch and muon out of switch to dac.

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,306
    H9 used a filter similar to this in his setup. It got rid of a nasty ground hum for him. If it helps to clean up the signal, then by all means, keep in the loop!

Just let us know if it works for you or not.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,516
    Yes please update on your findings. :)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    I'll update Friday night and then after 100 hour burn in
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Switching from shielded to non-shielded patch
    cables might help with a ground loop issue.
    But I have no idea what this is or how it works.
    But as long as you don't lay your cable on
    something really noisy like a neon light fixture,
    I don't think there's much that will stop ethernet
    from working. But hey, it's your money.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,180
    Interesting but at 0.7" wide I think I would have clearance issues whether I put it on my router or on my Squeezebox Touch. For the SBT I think it is too close to the USB output which I am using for my output to my DAC.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • rebelsoul
    It came today and it sounds good .
    Tighten the bass up , highs are sweet and little things in the music I am noticing that I didn't notice before. . And that's right out of the box .
    Caint wait for switch and the muon pro and the new cables . Also ordered the taradak power supply for cable box and router.
    This is also gig speed through it.
  • rebelsoul
    The results were subtle but noticable.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    Physical media is better

Glad it is sounding good! Streaming rules!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Switching from shielded to non-shielded patch
    cables might help with a ground loop issue.
    But I have no idea what this is or how it works.
    But as long as you don't lay your cable on
    something really noisy like a neon light fixture,
    I don't think there's much that will stop ethernet
    from working. But hey, it's your money.

It's not about an Ethernet cable not working. He's trying to clean up the signal, reduce noise/jitter and extract the very best he can out of his streaming setup.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    Tighten the bass up , highs are sweet and little things in the music I am noticing that I didn't notice before. . And that's right out of the box .

Good deal! With each layer of noise/interference you take out, the signal just gets better and better. Your observations are spot on to the improvements I have heard as I upgraded/worked on getting that signal better in my own rig and it also mimics what I heard Trey do to his system as he did the same thing.

I like the things you do that have no break in period much better than those that do have a break in period because I can listen immediately. But, with that said, the components that I did have to wait for break in? Oh, man, were they totally worth it!

Ya' just got to make it through the break in period. The longest I experienced so far was that Muon. Oh, that was a painful process to endure. So glad I did it though. Like I said, totally worth it!

Tom

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    I'm having a hard time with this product. No I don't own one, just checking it out to see what's going on here.
    As a network Technician, I'm having a hard time figuring out how this helps.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    I just looked over it on it's website and I don't see how this would improve anything. I could be way off base but what can this actually do?

Why did you purchase this? I've been installing network streamer for years and never once found one noisy or had issues from the network.

When you design a network , which I do all the time, battery back up units and surge protection, proper grounding etc all go into the design to prevent any network issues which doesn't include noise. I didn't even know this was a thing , on any level. Cat cables shield by design reject noise. They are 4 twisted pair which rejects noise so where is the noise coming from that this device rejects?

I want to buy one and test it as I do so many systems with streaming devices including in my own home . I have 10 streaming devices in my house 1 per zone.

Who else has fooled around with this thing?
    Dan
  • Gardenstater
    https://ifi-audio.com/products/lan-isilencer/

Well admittedly they don't say much, but they say that it 1) reduces noise from the router, 2) and 3) has a zero jitter memory buffer and galvanically isolated inputs to "eradicate" digital distortion.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • sucks2beme
    I found a thread on head-fi from IFI. A rep is going over the product.
    This includes internal pics. Looks like an isolation transformer and some
    Passive filtering. The theory is along with the signal, noise is passed through.
    This noise isn't normally enough to kill packets, but raises the noise floor on
    the ground plane. This is supposedly is passed to the analog section.
    A lot of discussions over there about double blind testing, but why bother.
    Ground plane noise should be measurable. Show the lab tests with and
    without the filter installed. As long as your at it, toss a ferrite bead on the
    cable and test that too. Easy to prove without golden ears. And it would
    Silence critics.
    Some equipment used to include patch cables and ferrite beads.
    I had some ferrite beads laying around at work before I retired.
    I guess all the cheap gear coming from China, both networking and
    streaming, aren't designed very well.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • rebelsoul
    mantis wrote: »
    I just looked over it on it's website and I don't see how this would improve anything. I could be way off base but what can this actually do?

Why did you purchase this? I've been installing network streamer for years and never once found one noisy or had issues from the network.

When you design a network , which I do all the time, battery back up units and surge protection, proper grounding etc all go into the design to prevent any network issues which doesn't include noise. I didn't even know this was a thing , on any level. Cat cables shield by design reject noise. They are 4 twisted pair which rejects noise so where is the noise coming from that this device rejects?

I want to buy one and test it as I do so many systems with streaming devices including in my own home . I have 10 streaming devices in my house 1 per zone.

Either did I . I thought mine sounded great and now it sounds better . Micro transit's decay and tighter bass . Best $90 bucks ever. I just ordered a $600 switch and a muon pro and dh labs Ethernet cables.
  • Gardenstater
    ^^Found that.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-lan-isilencer-your-network-silenced.967130/

I notice in this video they conveniently don't show anything plugged in right next to it. I think lots of routers and equipment have space restrictions for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snHG7svkV0g
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • rebelsoul
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I found a thread on head-fi from IFI. A rep is going over the product.
    This includes internal pics. Looks like an isolation transformer and some
    Passive filtering. The theory is along with the signal, noise is passed through.
    This noise isn't normally enough to kill packets, but raises the noise floor on
    the ground plane. This is supposedly is passed to the analog section.
    A lot of discussions over there about double blind testing, but why bother.
    Ground plane noise should be measurable. Show the lab tests with and
    without the filter installed. As long as your at it, toss a ferrite bead on the
    cable and test that too. Easy to prove without golden ears. And it would
    Silence critics.
    Some equipment used to include patch cables and ferrite beads.
    I had some ferrite beads laying around at work before I retired.
    I guess all the cheap gear coming from China, both networking and
    streaming, aren't designed very well.

Lhy sw-8 and the sw -10 are very good switches
    They are a sub of jays audio .
  • rebelsoul
    Your not a believer ask vr 3 or treintz
  • rebelsoul
    Sound stage opened up after 24 hour burn in me and my dogs were looking out the window. Lol
  • sucks2beme
    I went wifi for my raspberry pi, so no issue there. I started a thread about
    noise from my 5g home internet box. That was directly radiated noise from
    The device hitting the tube headphone amp, even with no rca cables attached.
    No issues on the integrated amps. Theory is 5g transmitter on the device was
    causing it. Relocated, problem solved.
    Spending $$$ for special network gear, filter and cables aren't in the retirement
    budget. I leave it to you deep pocket guys. I will follow the discussions over at
    Head-fi as long as it stays somewhat informative.
  • mantis
    edited March 2023

Either did I . I thought mine sounded great and now it sounds better . Micro transit's decay and tighter bass . Best $90 bucks ever. I just ordered a $600 switch and a muon pro and dh labs Ethernet cables.
    What switch did you buy? Switches can get really expensive depending on abilities , management , POE ports etc.
    I need to ask, what are you spending on ethernet cables? Each one?

Dan
  • mantis
    I want to start off by saying I absolutely hate the standard Monoprice Ethernet cables. They have a terribly built protective jacket that makes it extremely hard to unplug once they are locked in.

That being said, their shielded cables are excellent. No issues , no so called noise , no signal loss , tested and approved.

Check them out if you want nice pre built ethernet cables.
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11339

I also have used Audioquest prebuilt ethernet cables and they are also built extremely well. I don't see any need to climb the ladder here as these exceed all needs for ethernet performance and look really nice.
    https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/rj-e-ethernet/cinnamon

If anyone wants to give the Audioquest ethernet cables a go, hit me I have a few I'm not using I would sell at a good price.
    Dan
  • rebelsoul

What switch did you buy? Switches can get really expensive depending on abilities , management , POE ports etc.
    I need to ask, what are you spending on ethernet cables? Each one?

I bought the lhy sw-8
    Built in lps
    10 mhz crystal oxox
    Built from a solid piece of aluminum
    Cost $608 delivered
  • rebelsoul
    I didn't have any noise issues to start with
    I just want the best sound I can get.
    It started with that Ethernet cable the cheap yellow one cable company gives you. I switched it to a inexpensive cat 8 cable and it sounded better. Then I put the $90 ifi lan silencer in and another improvement.
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2023
    I have the urge to try this (sucka born every minute :) ) but do not have enough clearance on either my router or my Squeezebox Touch. Considering a short ethernet extender cable and 1.5ft is the shortest I've found so far. Something like this, unless I can find one of better quality materials:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-Extender-Extension-Compatible-dp-B08R9Z58DZ/dp/B08R9Z58DZ/ref=dp_ob_title_def?th=1
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • rebelsoul
    Dh labs reunion cat 8 cable $200 a cable depending on length. Quality way above price point . Very nice cables at good prices . They make all kinds of cables.
  • Gardenstater
    Dh labs reunion cat 8 cable $200 a cable depending on length. Quality way above price point . Very nice cables at good prices . They make all kinds of cables.

Do they make a short extension cable, which means there is a male on one end and a female on the other?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS