Focal Chora line

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
Hello everyone,
I was looking over the Focal Chora line which seems to be the ideal system but for double duty as they have wall mountable speakers and a really nice center channel. The 826D and the 826 both seem like very nice logical speakers for these duties. The 826 is what I would consider if I was shopping this line for my room as I already have Atmos speakers installed and plan on adding 2 more for a total of 4.

I read and watched some reviews on this line and the general verdicts are they excel at everything they do and do it well. They have the focal signature sound and perform above their cost.

The wall mounted surrounds are very nice and monopole which I like. I'm strongly considering getting them and the Chora center for my system and using my Chorus 826's for the main channels. I'm gonna demo the 826 Chora's and see if I like them more then mine. If so I can sell my Chorus and get those and have a perfectly matching system.

For the money I'm really liking them on paper. Anyone in here experience this line fully ,partially ?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I have the 826D and Center in the light wood finish. They are equivalent to the Polk Reserve lineup in my view from a performance perspective. Because they are built in France and were one of their budget lines they have some cosmetic issues worth mentioning. The finish on the sides is excellent, the drivers are excellent, the packaging is good, but the finish they chose to use on the front baffle is substandard. It's a kind of vinyl wrap that seems to be applied using heat and glue. It can peel off and bubble. That, and that they were probably priced too high for what they are, may be why Focal terminated that line so quickly. They're on closeout and can be difficult to find now.

They are priced low enough that I'd look at the 826D if they are available. The Atmos portion doesn't have to be connected but it's a nice option to have further down the road with these. I wish Polk had integrated an Atmos module into the Reserve line cabinets since the add on modules look bad sitting on top of speakers that are a different size.
  • mantis
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I have the 826D and Center in the light wood finish. They are equivalent to the Polk Reserve lineup in my view from a performance perspective. Because they are built in France and were one of their budget lines they have some cosmetic issues worth mentioning. The finish on the sides is excellent, the drivers are excellent, the packaging is good, but the finish they chose to use on the front baffle is substandard. It's a kind of vinyl wrap that seems to be applied using heat and glue. It can peel off and bubble. That, and that they were probably priced too high for what they are, may be why Focal terminated that line so quickly. They're on closeout and can be difficult to find now.

They are priced low enough that I'd look at the 826D if they are available. The Atmos portion doesn't have to be connected but it's a nice option to have further down the road with these. I wish Polk had integrated an Atmos module into the Reserve line cabinets since the add on modules look bad sitting on top of speakers that are a different size.
    I worked with Focal for many years over my career and but haven't in the last 10 years. I've been kinda disconnected from them since. I owned a pair of Chorus 806 Book shelf speakers years go and loved them but was alway nervous someone would destroy them as I didn't have bolt on stands for them, just standard book shelf stands. So I sold them.
    I recently came across a pair of Chorus 826v's which I really enjoy and want to build a system around them. Focal's have always held a special place in my heart as every single pair and system I did was always spectacular and why I jumped on the 826's when they where offered to me.
    he Chora line I'm attracted to the Wall mount monopole speakers as surrounds. I also like the 301's which is an option if I can't find the rest of the Chorus 800 line to complete a 5 channel floor level system.
    Thank you so much for the info on the Chora line, sucks they never built anything from what I remember being cheap or felt like it would fall apart
    Dan
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    It would have been better if they'd just painted the front baffles using a multi step process or used veneer, but definitely cheaper and way faster to just stick a sheet of plastic on the front. I had to return one of my 826Ds because of bubbling which is the first time ever I've had to send a speaker back for cosmetic reasons. They do look stylish though.
  • mantis
    Options
    how is the light wood side panels? How is the base? What are the feet like? I have not seen these in person yet
    Dan