I never liked Fords...

Options
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,616
    Options
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    I read somewhere reputable that Ford has a huge problem with recalls due quality issues to boot.
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Technically if a car is financed through Ford they own it. An argument could be made that they're just protecting their property from theft. Welcome to the scary future of AI-enabled shenanigans.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Technically if a car is financed through Ford they own it. An argument could be made that they're just protecting their property from theft. Welcome to the scary future of AI-enabled shenanigans.

Not just technically -- one gets the vehicle title after one pays off the loan, because that's when one owns it.
    Y'all've been following this dastardly business being practiced by some dealers, no?
    https://www.npr.org/2023/02/04/1152932192/yo-yo-car-sales?sc=18&f=1001

Despite the fact that, for many recent years, it absolutely did make more sense to finance a car than to pay for it upon purchase, I preferred (and still do) to pay cash. I (we) don't like debt, even though I will acknowledge there is such a thing as "good" debt. Rarely involves an automobile purchase, though. ;)

< decided to edit the last paragraph :| >

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    I think this is fine. If you can't pay for your car, why should you be allowed to keep driving it? And this avoids a tow, the car drives itself to a impound yard where you know where it is when you get your payments caught up, you can go get it.

I know this can be argued but if you can't afford to own it, you can't afford to keep driving it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    This thread now has me wondering about Tesla.
    Tesla has a subversive (relative to industry norms and also many states' laws) approach to selling their automobiles. I wonder how they're managing financing, or if they're strictly cash (or cash-equivalent, such as credit or debit cards,or crypto ;) ) and the putative buyer is on their own to come up with the lucre?

I guess I could look it up if I be curious enough. :#
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    That's a very slippery slope and therefore a very bad idea.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

So, in the modern climate, it'll catch on and spread across the industry like a virus. :/
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    #1 If they impound wrong vehicle. Also opens up even more hacks
    #2 Defending yourself if that vehicle gets in a wreck while being impounded
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    #1 If they impound wrong vehicle. Also opens up even more hacks
    #2 Defending yourself if that vehicle gets in a wreck while being impounded

You know the tech mantra: Move fast, break things. :#
    The lawyers will work all that stuff out after the fact. Yay.

rntz9z1zxmcv.png
    https://xkcd.com/1428/

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,194
    Options
    I’ve got no love affair with modern Fords but I don’t mind this decision as long as it is regulated correctly. If financed through Ford, they own the car and can do what they want. This certainly seems like a better option than the repo process
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    Why drive to an impound lot? Just drive a couple blocks and go around the corner.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    This happened to me. Ford dealer in Dallas in 2012.
    Had to go rebuy the car a week later. No real change in
    Payments. I paid cash for my last new car, so no issues
    On that deal.
    The fact they didn't pay off the loan on the trade in after
    Selling it off is real nasty trick. How did the next owner
    get a title??? Moral of the story, pay off the car before
    buying another.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    Given the direction most of the world seems to be headed in today this may not be a bad idea :)

My only gripe with Ford presently is it requires a "top tier" smartphone in order to operate their Fordpass app. Apparently after my truck sat at the dealership for the past 2 days that's their verdict. I can either get a top tier phone (not happening) or go without the very useful fordpass app. Would've been nice to be able to remotely start the truck during the last cold snap but nooooo. So thanks for nothing Ford.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,986
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Informal fallacy!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    can you say fallacy on a Vanilla forum? It sounds like, you know, something else. :#

(sorry... sorry... as you were. carry on)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Dude, in all honesty, anything built after 2007 is required, by federal law, to have a "black box" capability. It's essentially a data collector with a back door into the vehicle's ECM that police can access remotely to shut down your car in the event that you are suspected of a crime. Additionally, if the black box recording is played back in the event of an accident or other nefarious deed, the logs are admissible in court for any traffic violations, like speeding, no matter how insignificant the violation is.

That same info can be used by banks, repo companies and even dealerships and rental car companies to retrieve unsecured assets.

All this Ford idea is doing is creating software and sensors that will allow the vehicle to retrieve itself. It can cost tens of thousands of dollars per repo to retrieve defaulted assets, especially when the borrower hides the asset and makes retrieval difficult. If they can kill your car remotely or even get the car to retrieve itself, the cost of repossession goes way down. They can already kill your car remotely if it's less than 15 years old. They just want to take it a step further and have the car retrieve itself.

The fact that you're just finding out about this now because of your unreasonable hatred for a single brand is honestly, quite absurd.

Besides, Teslas have been able to do this since the "autopilot" feature was introduced. A Tesla isn't going to make it all the way to a repo yard or something by itself but it can get itself started and drive a short distance and then notify a repossession agent to it's location and to come retrieve it.

There's a reason my newest vehicle is a 2007 Lincoln MKX that I keep throwing parts at to keep running.

I remember posting a story about this back in 2006 when the legislation was passed and I said how intrusive and rights robbing it would be and people told me I was wearing my tinfoil hat too tight.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I just pictured an F-150 driving itself out of a shed without bothering to open the door.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Look at all the poor guys who bought a car from Carvana
    and still can't get the tittle. A couple of states have banned
    them due to the issue. Expect Carvana to file for protection
    this year.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    this year.

What happened there? I haven't been following that news.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,699
    Options
    Whenever I see this thread, I think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRNze9Lkgbo
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,616
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    this year.

What happened there? I haven't been following that news.

Takes months to get a title, IIRC there was a class action lawsuit or talk of one.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=carvana+title+problems&t=fpas&ia=web

https://news.yahoo.com/customers-describe-nightmare-problems-carvana-193257985.html

• Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Never owned a Ford and never will. They're cutting their own throat with this one.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    edited March 2023
    Options
    While we are talking about Fords...been along time since I owned my F-150 as I went to Toyota for 1/2 ton
    Now own 2015 GMC Sierra Denali diesel which I found BNIB in 2016 at a great price (Almost 30k lower than what is out there now) :#:#:# . We are needing a 2nd diesel for trailering

Pondering at trying out the
    Ford 6.7L HO Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel VS
    GMC 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel Engine

Any input or suggestions
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,085
    Options
    I never liked Fords...

I agree! I have never liked Fords, but I now own a 1997 Ford Ranger.

My very best friend gave it up because he could no longer drive a manual shift. He drove it for 112K miles so it should last for awhile.

I grew up in a Chevrolet family.

Now, I have to admit I enjoy driving it.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I just pictured an F-150 driving itself out of a shed without bothering to open the door.

Or down the road to the impound lot with the owners boat still attached! :D
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    What I think is even worse than this idea from Ford is manufacturer's charging monthly subscriptions for things like heated seats /steering wheels or performance upgrades like extra rear wheel steering etc.

1: If the options are already on the car when you pay for it doesn't it make them yours?
    2: If you're just going to put all the same equipment on every model car regardless if the owner decides not to pay for them, then aren't you just wasting resources?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • huggies
    huggies Posts: 149
    Options
    Anybody really believe ALL automakers won't be doing this? You're fooling yourself if you do. Like previously stated, Tesla already does similar. It won't end at auto's either, but let's blame Ford.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    ^^^^^^And there's the exact reason I didn't go with a gm product. My bud with his brand Chevy truck showed me how thin and flexible the truck body is. So Chevy got scratched off the list when I was in the market for a new truck a couple years ago.