Phase linear & High-Tech Audio.

Starting a new thread rather than clogging up "What did you do to your stereo rig today?"

This is my first Phase Linear, along with other pieces, purchased new in 1978.

Sent my Phase Linear 4000 Series II (this one) to Rolland @ High-Tech Audio in Washington.
She arrived a few minutes ago...
b5ps27bdvkp9.jpg

Kinda dancing right now.
More to follow, time for a nappy-poo.

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,124
    edited February 2023
    Shouldn't take a pic while dancing...it gets blurry :D

I have a PL-400 power amp, and love the sound. I got the amp from my dad's collection, and then did the White Oak Audio refurb kit myself.

What power amp are you using with your 4000/II preamp?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,893
    Just letting you know, Trey will want a review yesterday.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    Trey?!?...wanting a review on a preamp from the '70s??? I don't believe it! But maybe that is the joke here, and I'm just being obtuse :#

Having said that, I LOVE the sound I'm experiencing from a Benchmark HPA4 preamp, feeding a re-furbished Phase Linear PL-400 power amp. The words 'effortless', 'controlled', 'powerful', come to mind.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,523
    The sound must be diffuse with that much movement!

Internal pics and a review! Stat!

Congrats!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • That 70’s sound! Looking forward to the review!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,560
    I think I saw it on his bench. I wanted to ask him if that was Fred Flintstones. He doesn't cuss but I think he was silently. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,140
    jdjohn wrote: »

I have a PL-400 power amp, and love the sound. I got the amp from my dad's collection, and then did the White Oak Audio refurb kit myself.

My amp...rxx43s71v071.png

Have been driving the Polk's with the Oppo straight into the 700. Have been waiting to get the 4000 back in the system and will be bi-amping with two of the above 😬
  • skipshot12
    Thought I was anal in packing. Double boxed from Rolland....
    pkhjj5z3kiv4.jpg
    Invoice from High-Tech Audio...
    5v8nfs2g93bc.jpg
  • skipshot12
    I'm home Daddy....
    etc65azeoqp6.jpg

• skipshot12

The original amp purchased when buying the 4000 II was a 400II. Loved that amp.
    I found the sound of the 400 to be the nicest of all PL's amps. There was something magical about it.

WOPL has put the Phase Linear amps into a whole nother league. Highly recommended, and the lifetime guarantee doesn't hurt either. Eat that warranty Bryston 💪🏼
  • skipshot12
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Just letting you know, Trey will want a review yesterday.

Tom

Bahahahaaaaa....
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,893
    Your vintage gear is in great condition!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • skipshot12
    ^ Thank you.
    Always been a tad picky with my audio gear, not so much with myself 😳
  • skipshot12
    A peek under the hood. Beautiful work…
    1qqlibb02bcr.jpeg
    264zczgaaqe7.jpeg
    zsl51n23pkfu.jpeg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,284
    edited February 2023
    Maybe you should have removed your addy and phone# from your invoice picture before posting.... B)
  • skipshot12
    Time for the fun stuff.
    Move a couple of pieces around and hook her up for a listen...
  • skipshot12
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Maybe you should have removed your addy and phone# from your invoice picture before posting.... B)

Thank you...
    Yea, shiza happens after frosty's.
  • jdjohn
    I just sent my Butler amp to Cheyenne...just down the road from you ;)
  • audioluvr

4 dozen pizzas en route!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,735
    audioluvr wrote: »

4 dozen hookers en route!

Fixed...

• skipshot12

What’s the outfits name?

May have to contact them.
    No luck trying to find someone willing to try a repair on the B.A.S.H amps in my Infinity Prelude MTS’s.
  • jdjohn
    skipshot12 wrote: »

What’s the outfits name?

May have to contact them.
    No luck trying to find someone willing to try a repair on the B.A.S.H amps in my Infinity Prelude MTS’s.
    Oh, it's just straight-up Butler Audio. I don't know if they work on other brands, or only their own products like the one I sent.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,284
    Jody I thought Butler Audio was in Colorado?
  • jdjohn
    Ivan, I thought so, too, but when I emailed tech support, a guy named Ted replied, and he ultimately gave me the Cheyenne shipping address for 'Butler Audio', which actually appears to be a residence. Maybe they went remote during the pandemic. Perhaps 'new' sales (of their guitar pedals) are still out of Denver?
  • audioluvr
    Could be a remote factory repair facility.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• skipshot12
    The Phase Linear pre is in. Put in a disc to verify connections and we have sound.

Keeping it powered on for a sit down early this evening.
    Not waiting for a complete break-in of the new caps, just too excited to play with it 😬
  • skipshot12
    First findings which has nothing to do with the restored/upgraded preamp.

Difference between using the Oppo 105D as the preamp fed directly to the amp vs Oppo into preamp then amp...
    Big difference in impact, slam and feeling the lower notes physically. Bass is more there and powerful. Not that there's more bass or the system is going lower in octaves, bass is definitely tighter.

Have only played rock for this first listen on CD & SACD's.
    Tomorrow will be some Keb' Mo', Taj Mahal, big band & classical.

Keeping the preamp powered up thru the night along with the amp.
    Have gotten into the never turning off the ss amp camp and will be doing the same on the preamp.