Trying something new - Snake River Audio

Options
As many of you may already know, I have been running with Transparent Audio Reference IC's for many years and never really had any inclination to try something else. Until now.

I have tried many different metallurgies over the years, too many to list, but I was reading about this relatively new company called, Snake River Audio, out of Riggins, Idaho and they have a metallurgy that I have always wanted to hear but AFAIK, no one ever made before. Here's what they look like...

3prlmpl2s0ka.png
Any precious metal used in your system's cables, or anywhere else actually, will have an effect on your music. The tonality, clarity, dimension, as well as many other factors, can all be greatly affected by which metals are used, as well as the quality of those metals. For example, silver is a very fast metal, with the lowest impedence rating of all precious metal used in audio today. The effect silver can have on music is to enhance the speed and clarity of what's being played. Details become crisper, soundstage can gain depth. Meanwhile, gold and copper can affect the richness and character of the music. A full room-filling boldness, musicality and smoothness, as well as a wide soundstage. Some have said that silver is lean and clean, while gold is rich and lush.

Our Signature Series of products use a hybrid recipe of ALL THREE metals. Pure gold, pure silver, and pure red copper. We designed this recipe for those systems that are very neutral sounding already, and for those ears that want it all - Clarity, fullness, musicality, detail, and a wide and deep soundstage. Room-filling thickness, yet pinpoint imaging.

It's this particular metallurgy they use that intrigues me. I have had other mixtures that did some things well but were lacking in other departments. Throughout the years, I have always wondered what would happen if I could combine certain mettalurgies, to extract all of the attributes of the various metallurgies into one cable.

Well, I'm looking for a PC('s) for different areas of the rig and I ran across Audio Bacon's review of 27 different PC's, ranging from DIY to exotic and vastly overpriced (IMO) PC's that I could entertain using in my main rig. (link to that article below)

https://audiobacon.net/2019/08/17/27-audiophile-power-cables-reviewed/

My ears perked up when I was reading about his observations on the Snake River PC (Which I am definitely entertaining the thought of getting). My thoughts are that I will try the Hybrid IC first and compare them to the Transparent Reference IC....why? Because of the mix of metallurgies used.

The few people that have them, really seem to like them, so I went ahead and ordered me a set of 1M Signature Series Hybrid RCA cables.

As mentioned, I have tried a plethora of different metallurgies over the years but this will be the first one like this. Will also be the only cable I will have that has been cryogenically treated. Below is a screenshot that explains what Cryo does...

bdr7zdjza6ha.png

They do come with a 30 day trial period with a full refund (minus shipping costs that they pay for, as well as any CC/PP fees - which they also pay for). They state that roughly 40% of their customers come back for more of their cables. Well, for me, that remains to be seen but FINALLY, I get to hear what I have always wondered about.

Time will tell.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,376
    Options
    I know this may sound weird but out of all of the gear coming in and all of the recent purchases? This is the most anticipated piece. I have more excitement over this than anything else.

It has a lot to do with waiting decades to finally hearing my "vision" with the mix of metallurgies. Something, I never thought would happen.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Options
    I guarantee your system already has a mix of all 3 metals.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Options
    Hey, Jesse. You are 100% correct. I do, but that's throughout the entire system. AFAIK, Transparent uses primarily OFHC copper in the Reference IC's, which was my mainstay preference of all of the metalurgies previously used before I discovered/listened to a lower end Transparent, then moved on up the line to the Reference's.

These SNA IC's use three of my preferred metals (each with their own characteristics and uses) in one cable. This is what I have always wanted and didn't even know existed until a couple of days ago. Each metal has their own individual set of attributes, as well as deficiencies. Hopefully (and time will tell), what I had always considered to be an attribute with each various metal, will also give me (in theory, at least) all of the attributes of each metal, with the deficiencies of each metal being lifted up by the other metals within the mix.

I will lose the network box that the Transparent's have but I will discover what I have always pondered on and wondered about. I, honestly, never thought anyone would do it and that my idea was just a pipe dream I would never get the chance to hear. I was ecstatic when I was reading about their mix of metalurgies. To me, it was like a dream of mine coming true.

I don't know. They could sound like crap. It may just be a lateral move with different flavors. I honestly have no idea. But to have something like this happen when I never thought it would? Man, I had to pounce on the opportunity! To me, it's akin to literally listening to your dream come true.

Now, whether or not that dream works or not? Well.....

Tom

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    You are having fun, trying new stuff and enjoying the hobby. The anticipation is what keeps things interesting and your passion is evident. Respect, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the change!
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    As many of you may already know, I have been running with Transparent Audio Reference IC's for many years and never really had any inclination to try something else. Until now.

I have tried many different metallurgies over the years, too many to list, but I was reading about this relatively new company called, Snake River Audio, out of Riggins, Idaho and they have a metallurgy that I have always wanted to hear but AFAIK, no one ever made before. Here's what they look like...

3prlmpl2s0ka.png
    Any precious metal used in your system's cables, or anywhere else actually, will have an effect on your music. The tonality, clarity, dimension, as well as many other factors, can all be greatly affected by which metals are used, as well as the quality of those metals. For example, silver is a very fast metal, with the lowest impedence rating of all precious metal used in audio today. The effect silver can have on music is to enhance the speed and clarity of what's being played. Details become crisper, soundstage can gain depth. Meanwhile, gold and copper can affect the richness and character of the music. A full room-filling boldness, musicality and smoothness, as well as a wide soundstage. Some have said that silver is lean and clean, while gold is rich and lush.

Our Signature Series of products use a hybrid recipe of ALL THREE metals. Pure gold, pure silver, and pure red copper. We designed this recipe for those systems that are very neutral sounding already, and for those ears that want it all - Clarity, fullness, musicality, detail, and a wide and deep soundstage. Room-filling thickness, yet pinpoint imaging.

It's this particular metallurgy they use that intrigues me. I have had other mixtures that did some things well but were lacking in other departments. Throughout the years, I have always wondered what would happen if I could combine certain mettalurgies, to extract all of the attributes of the various metallurgies into one cable.

Well, I'm looking for a PC('s) for different areas of the rig and I ran across Audio Bacon's review of 27 different PC's, ranging from DIY to exotic and vastly overpriced (IMO) PC's that I could entertain using in my main rig. (link to that article below)

https://audiobacon.net/2019/08/17/27-audiophile-power-cables-reviewed/

My ears perked up when I was reading about his observations on the Snake River PC (Which I am definitely entertaining the thought of getting). My thoughts are that I will try the Hybrid IC first and compare them to the Transparent Reference IC....why? Because of the mix of metallurgies used.

The few people that have them, really seem to like them, so I went ahead and ordered me a set of 1M Signature Series Hybrid RCA cables.

As mentioned, I have tried a plethora of different metallurgies over the years but this will be the first one like this. Will also be the only cable I will have that has been cryogenically treated. Below is a screenshot that explains what Cryo does...

bdr7zdjza6ha.png

They do come with a 30 day trial period with a full refund (minus shipping costs that they pay for, as well as any CC/PP fees - which they also pay for). They state that roughly 40% of their customers come back for more of their cables. Well, for me, that remains to be seen but FINALLY, I get to hear what I have always wondered about.

Time will tell.

Tom

Riggins…
    Used to live close to Riggins.
    Are you in Idaho Tom?
  • treitz3
    Options
    No sir. I live in upstate South Carolina. It's just South of Charlotte, NC.

Tom
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,523
    Options
    I visited their booth at Pacific Audio Fest. Very nice people and the cables looked well made and rather snakey.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options

Tom

👍
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited February 2023
    Options

Tom

I've been to his house. It's smells of cat tinkle, old Fritos and mingled with Old Crow.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,078
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Tom

I've been to his house. It's smells of cat tinkle, old Fritos and mingled with Old Crow.

And that's just on the outside
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

Tom

The old frito smell is a couple that fell in your beard at Skips gathering in 2019
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    Between which 2 components will this debut whilst running-in?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Between which 2 components will this debut whilst running-in?

Since everything in my streaming setup will be new, I will most likely be burning it in there. From the DAC to the pre. It completely depends on whether or not the run is long enough. If it isn't, then I guess I'll put it between the CDP and the pre.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

Marvin, do you have first hand knowledge of these cables? If so, can you direct me to anything that you may have written online?

TIA
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    Options
    their boomslang coaxial cable is supposed to be real good.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • VR3
    Options
    I actually used a set of those cables a while back, the Gabriel. They also used silver gold and copper.

I ultimately preferred the duelund interconnects but they did sound very good
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I had never heard of them before. There seem to be a lot of them on the used market. That's a good indicator (to me) as to whether or not people like them.

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited February 2023
    Options
    d094ty5k11hu.png

Well, now I get to see (hear) them. They just got delivered.

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
  • VR3
    Options
    Well... Now everyone knows where you use the Jon
  • treitz3
    Options
    Repaired image. Thanks, Trey. Wasn't thinking....

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    I mean, if you want more than the monthly **** subscription I have you already signed up for, cant hurt to leave it!
  • treitz3
    Options
    I'm gonna stuff a couple of ice cubes down your britches when you aren't looking next time we meet up. Be forewarned and watch yo' back!!!

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,068
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I am glad you brought this thread back to life.
    I've actually given a fair amount of thought to my perception of the notion :) of these cables, and it is intriguing.
    Since the resistivity of different conductors does differ B) -- I could imagine that the signal transmission properties of a cable made of, e.g., interwoven strands of copper, silver, and gold wire might be interesting. Not sure it would be better than, e.g., pure copper, but I could imagine it would be different in measurable, and perhaps also audible, ways.

So, I concur with the notion that they're worthy of evaluation.
    Not that anyone cares, I know -- but it makes me feel better to say it. :#
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    Options
    They can afford their own custom printed packing tape and boxes which I think looks pretty cool.
  • VR3
    Options
    Alright it's been around 5 hours

Review? Installed in system pic?
  • treitz3
    Options
    I think it's too soon for a review. I have a basic understanding of what these have to offer but they are still in flux. Nothing anywhere close to the Muon (thank God) but still changing nonetheless.

I will say this. The build quality is absolutely top notch. Inside the box was a bunch of goodies from the area, literature, instructions, a pen, golf ball, sticker, cloth bag and I'm sure I am forgetting something.

So far, they do some things exceptionally well. Some things. With that comes some shortcomings. But, as mentioned, they are still changing, so I will not comment any further at this point on the specifics.

Listening to Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, Act Your Age album's song, "Backrow Politics"......it sounds very enjoyable. Like you are there in concert, enjoying all of the various instruments. It does wonders for songs/albums like this but when you get any compression or a crappy album/selection?

Oh, they let you know in a heartbeat that the recording is subpar.....and it's quite obvious. Actually, I just went to go type the word obvious and predictive text predicted I was gonna say, "obnoxious".

You could use that word as well.

Tom

• VR3
    Options
    Excellent 5 hour review!

Looking forward to more!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    Trey's wife is grateful that he can (temporarily) move his mouse pointer away from the 'buy' button.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    Options
    cu9vliuap0x4.png

gra6iqlqvqzd.png

10199bloa101.png

Tom