4-channel Douk Audio M4 and Polk PSW10 sub

Will this Douk 4p-channel amp drive my powered PSW10 sub? Can i simply use channels 1 and 2 for the PSW10 (and thus the two speakers it will power), and hook up two more speakers using channels 3 and 4?

88srryxkh5yg.png

Best Answer

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Answer ✓
    Incoming voltage is only 12-24v. Current is therefore very limited. 50w is probably measured with one speaker, so when you use all 4 taps, you have only 12v max per speaker to play with. That is a very low figure.

So, it may very well work but at higher volumes, you will be pushing that amp into clipping (which can damage the speakers) very quickly. Even if (and that's a very strong "if") all 4 channels were a true 50w, the same result would remain. This is why you want to keep the volume low.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Answers

• The amplifier inside the subwoofer only powers itself, not any external speakers.
  • jwing
    jwing Posts: 6
    Thx, SeleniumFalcon. My current two-channel amp has speaker wires out to the sub, whose variable crossover decides which frequencies to play through the sub and which to route onwards to my two 8 ohm Klipsch speakers connected to the sub out. Sounds amazing.

Question is, with the pictured 4-channel amp, can I devote channels one and two to the sub/klipsch setup, as I'm doing now, and devote channels 3 and 4 to two standalone speakers. Any reason that can't be done?
  • None that I could see, however some of our sharper eyed members may spot a reason.
  • jwing
    edited February 2023
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, SeleniumF. Hope I can get a final judgement on this question.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    So long as you have highly efficient speakers, there should be no issue. I would keep the volume level down though.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jwing
    treitz3, thanks! I will be keeping the volume lowish as it is an office bookshelf speaker setup. But what is the volume constraint about? A 50W amp pushing out to 4 @8ohms + the sub?