What answer do you get?

Options
Evidently there are two equally valid answers for this equation, each depends upon when you first learned math. Have fun!

1kv4lcihnxut.png

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,200
    Options
    It’s 1. I don’t see how it could be anything else personally?
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    Options
    It's 1.

There's no other answer.

Order of operations.

Parenthesis, multiplication and then division.

One plus two is three.

Three times two is six.

Any number divided by itself is one.

Six divide by six is one.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Not to pile on the bandwagon, but even my math illiterate a$$ followed the order of operations to the inevitable conclusion of 1.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • stangman67
    Options
    Had to break out ole PEMDAS!

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,111
    Options
    Please excuse my dear aunt Sally. 1
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Microsoft Excel won't accept the formula without a multiplication symbol between the first 2 and the parentheses.

The answer is 9.
  • stangman67
    Options
    So apparently the correct answer is actually 9. Multiplication and division are equal in the order of operations (not how we were all taught). So you’d divide first as you go left to right when doing operations that are equivalent

• stangman67
    Options
    I hate math

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,135
    edited February 2023
    Options
    me, too.
    actually, I don't hate it, but I am terrible at math... and really pathetically terrible at arithmetic, especially when fractions are involved.
    I picked a kind of funny line of work. :#

Our son is a mathematician and our daughter's an economist. They are amused when they watch me try to figure out, say, how much larger (in percentage) is 4 than 3.

:|

(I actually knew the order of operations thing -- but that doesn't mean I'd do it right)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    Options
    Look, you can use the fuzzy math all you want but in every logical circuit design, the multiplication operator associated with the parenthesis gets operated on first because of it's association with the parenthesis. The division comes second because the parenthesis gives the multiplication a priority bump. It's known as "multiplication denoted by juxtaposition" and it sets a higher priority than a standalone multiplcation operator.

Every computer out there including the one you are reading this on operates under that assumption for the order of operations.

The answer to the equation is 1. Not 9.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • stangman67
    Options
    Same thought process I had. I guess that’s why this question exists, just to piss people off lol. All the articles out there are saying the only right answer is 9. I never even considered 9 over 1

• Emlyn
    Options
    This will get 1:

=6/(2*(2+1))

:D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,451
    Options
    Question - Is the answer dependent on Common Core math or what?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    :*
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Emlyn
    edited February 2023
    Options
    No, the method has been used for more than a hundred years, but I do suspect common core math was just designed so parents could no longer help their kids with their math homework. :)

The Google calculator also says the answer is 9.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,158
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,006
    Options
    My method is very easy & straightforward. Whenever I disassemble anything & after I reassemble there's always one screw left over! I get 1 too & I'm sticking too it!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,135
    edited February 2023
    Options
    0r85x743gkvp.png

Danged fractions...
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,744
    Options
    I guess it's just that fuzzy math. Nowadays the answer can identify with whatever number he, she, it, them, they prefer.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • stangman67
    Options
    The answer actually identified as a letter, and it’s F (for F***)

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,528
    Options
    If you didn’t want to intentionally confuse people, you could have written the equation differently, which I will not attempt here.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,720
    Options
    What a bunch of math nahtzees!!!
  • Navy_Goat
    Options
    I too want the answer to be 1, but 9 is what I get when I think it through.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Ken, you are an evil, evil man.

<clap, clap,clap.>
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,348
    Options
    All kidding aside, this leads to some pretty ugly outcomes as the new generation of engineers integrate into systems that were designed before their parents birth….
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    "Why I aught to smack you with my slide rule, you twerp!" he he
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    The common denominator of common core math = stupidity.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,554
    Options
    9 - those who go to a concert and are okay with wild departures from the studio recordings.

1 - those who go to a concert, and...
    (might scrub to 8:30; I don't think Vanilla picks up time jumps in yt links)
    https://youtu.be/VApKbScpMuY?t=510
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,554
    Options
    Math is a global, if not universal, language. There are basic rules and standards for its use and interpretation that make it work the same for everyone.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go divide some Schiit by zero and see what happens.
    I disabled signatures.