SDA-SRS, SRS 1.2, SRS 1.2TL, SRS 2.3TL Crossover Design and Progressive Point Source

Options
2»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    I believe Neil @nspindel had a thread
    For the SDA1c or SDA SRS 2 for a TL mod. I do not believe it was ever sanctioned by Polk like other mods here.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    I believe it was a TL mod for the 1B which like the 2B it required the additional cap across a resistor.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• pitdogg2
    Options
    I believe it was a TL mod for the 1B which like the 2B it required the additional cap across a resistor.

1b is two board XO and Blade/blade interconnect cable. I do not believe you can do that. It's more that a simple cap. In some models there's also inductor changes.

My SDA1 signature model also had a 5.8uf cap across the resistor from factory it was not TL'able.

Some cannot use the tri-laminate tweeters "properly"
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Agree any of of two tweeter versions have no acceptable TL mod. However I read a thread here on the forum about this and how it can be accomplished not a Polk sanctioned mod though
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• pitdogg2
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Agree any of of two tweeter versions have no acceptable TL mod. However I read a thread here on the forum about this and how it can be accomplished not a Polk sanctioned mod though

Now that I'm thinking I can't remember if it was @inspiredsports thread or Neils @nspindel , I read it as well. Yes you're correct there was a long one that was very interesting to say the least.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Now that I'm thinking I can't remember if it was @inspiredsports thread or Neils @nspindel , I read it as well. Yes you're correct there was a long one that was very interesting to say the least.
    It was inspiredsport and I had it bookmarked until vanilla came along and messed up the link.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

It was inspiredsport and I had it bookmarked until vanilla came along and messed up the link.

Can anyone find that old thread and bump it?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    He only did one of the two tweeters. Not a success story.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    edited February 2023
    Options
    That's not what I recall reading. They determined you only had to do the 5.8uf shunt cap on the tweeter that received full frequencies, (extrapolated from a Matt Polk conversation). Still can't find the thread to verify.
  • xschop
    Options
    Looks like I've got some reading to catch up. Thanks Pit.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Seems my memory of that experiment was a bit off. Still not convinced it was a success story though.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Maybe InspiredSports will check in with an update/F1 rebuttal.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    It's my understanding that with the TLs, the top tweeters always produce sound, and with the "progressive array", the second, then third tweeters (and 4th on the 1.2s) produce sound as volume increases.
    The tweeter array is not VOLUME dependent, it's FREQUENCY dependent. The various tweeters are frequency-restricted in a progressive fashion, so if the signal has the appropriate frequencies, the tweeters are active regardless of the volume level.
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Would changing the order of the tweeters via the wiring harness from bottom-to-top as opposed to the factory top-to-bottom help eliminate the problem of the tweeter array being too high on the 1.2s, or would it do more harm than good?
    Experiment, see (hear) what happens.

I don't doubt that this would ideally be done with instrumentation in a specialized acoustic environment. But since that stuff is in short supply, trial-and-error would likely suffice.

For the record, I followed "inspiredsports" lead. He worked on SDA SRS2 blade/blade; I worked on SDA 1Bs. I'm entirely satisfied with the results except that the volume level of the tweeters could be increased. Lowering the resistance of one resistor in each cabinet would do the job. ~1.8 ohms instead of whatever the OEM value is--2.0, or 2.3 ohms, I forget which.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I did a srs 2 Rd0198 build a loooong time ago and the results were mixed so I never did the mod again, ymmv
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The tweeter array is not VOLUME dependent, it's FREQUENCY dependent. The various tweeters are frequency-restricted in a progressive fashion, so if the signal has the appropriate frequencies, the tweeters are active regardless of the volume level.

That is true. In addition, the top tweeter is not always the full frequency tweeter.

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I contacted Ken about this several years ago. He was in touch with MP at that time and asked him about it amongst other things. MP said it should not be too difficult to do (I'm paraphrasing), and that he would look into it. That was several years ago, and Ken never heard back.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/