NODE 2I PSU upgrade surgery completed!

Since my 2i is well out of warranty I decided to give the rather inexpensive (all things considered with this hobby) PSU upgrade a shot.

There's a few companies that have the upgrade kits available & I went with LHY Audio.

Delivery was pretty quick & their step by step instructions were spot on & it was a very easy project even for a electronic novice like myself. It only took me a 1/2 hr.

It now takes a 5v PSU & I'm using a iFi POWER X unit. I already had one on hand so that made it easy.

I'll let it run in for awhile & will report back with my findings.

A few pics included:70s2l30ip6co.jpg
lacewqc7isuf.jpg
7vnuxj31tpm6.jpg
z1pk2lytzgtr.jpg

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Anxiously awaiting your in depth review Phil.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    I am still waiting a bit because of warranty and I am still breaking in the L600's. I have the one from Poland sitting here. But, in order to a fair evaluation I shouldn't be changing up too many things at once. I won't be able to discern which made a difference. And I need to get more used to the sound with the L600's.

Waiting sucks, but it's the best and only way to do a proper evaluation.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,993
    Hey Brock,

The only 2 new additions to my system have been a new DAC & the Maggie LRS speakers. Both have been up & running now for over 7 months so I am very familiar their sound signatures.

Not knowing what to expect with the new PSU upgrade & to be honest I wasn't expecting too much. But boy oh boy was I wrong!

Without a doubt the bass has taken on a whole new life of it's own in a great way of course. I was tempted to recalibrate the KEF KC62 sub but for now I am leaving things as is & will be listening to well known tunes to confirm my initial impression. This is definitely a work in progress on but for me now I'm definitely pleased I made the move.

More to follow as listening progresses.

Phil

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • heiney9
    Yeah, that's been my experience when running the SQB Touch. The differences weren't subtle to a person that knows their rig well.

Yes, more observations when you can.

Perhaps a bit more specific. Like when you say "the bass is so much better takes on a life of it's own", I don't know what that means? Like how?, etc.

This is going to want to make me install mine ASAP.......lol :p

H9

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited January 2023
    Phil, you’ve already sold me on the LHY, which is the one I was considering, but can’t wait to read your review.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • pearsall001
    More prominent bass in volume as if I turned the gain up which of course I didn't. The weight & impact was steadfast just more impactful (if that even makes sense). More of a good thing is what it boils down to.

• pearsall001
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Phil, you’ve already sold me on the LHY, which is the one I was considering, but can’t wait to read your review.

Just do it! 🤠
  • jbreezy5

Just do it! 🤠

Trey, is that you? 🤣🤣🤣
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    No but I concur! Do it!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,308
    If memory serves, he's waiting on the warranty to expire.

It doesn't look like they would even know if you swapped the PS out though. Phil, were you able to do this without altering anything? It looks like simple plug and play (although I could be way off base here).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pearsall001
    treitz3 wrote: »

It doesn't look like they would even know if you swapped the PS out though. Phil, were you able to do this without altering anything? It looks like simple plug and play (although I could be way off base here).

Tom

A very simple swap out, only tools needed are Phillips screwdriver & needle nose pliers. Excellent & I mean excellent step by step instructions. You couldn't mess up even if you wanted to.

If for any reason you had to put the original PSU back in I doubt they would know. If I could do it anybody can!!
  • heiney9

Tom

A very simple swap out, only tools needed are Phillips screwdriver & needle nose pliers. Excellent & I mean excellent step by step instructions. You couldn't mess up even if you wanted to.

If for any reason you had to put the original PSU back in I doubt they would know. If I could do it anybody can!!

The one I have is the same plug-n-play type board. Didn't really think about putting it back for warranty work if needed. Good idea

H9
  • VR3
    Have you installed it yet Brock? Review? Pics?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    Not yet, waiting for the L600's to be broken in. Don't want to change too many things at one time.

H9
  • pearsall001
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Not yet, waiting for the L600's to be broken in. Don't want to change too many things at one time.

H9

Smart move. You definitely want to get a good feel for the L600's before adding something new to the mix.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,001
    I’m thinking this might be the route for me to go. I don’t know if I could justify spending another $1K to $2K on a streamer just for Qobuz. However this seems like a logical move. Looking forward to more impressions.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • VR3
    Switching power supplies are the death of audio nirvana
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    edited January 2023
    **Except the Benchmark LA4 and AHB2 which both use SMPS and have some of the best S/N ratios and measurements in the world.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Clipdat wrote: »
    **Except the Benchmark LA4 and AHB2 which both use SMPS and have some of the best S/N ratios and measurements in the world.

So what
  • heiney9
    edited January 2023
    Clipdat wrote: »

Measurements don't mean a whole lot. There are some decent switching supplies, but they don't compare to a really good linear ps. Switching supplies are used to cut costs and weight otherwise not much use for them in a serious audio rig.

That being said, we are all at different levels and expectations in this hobby. I am not a fan of chip style op-amps, I replace with discrete units and it's night and day. Same with a switching power supply. If I had the electronics know how, I'd swap all the chip style voltage regulators in my gear with discrete units. But they start to draw too much power so you need some electrical ingenuity to implement them in many cases.

H9
  • jbreezy5
    Jumped in and purchased the LHY power supply with LPS25VA.

Can’t wait to hear it!

• pearsall001

Can’t wait to hear it!

You'll be glad you did!!!! 👍👍

I have a different PS (iFi ELITE 5V). I almost went with the LPS25VA but I already had a ELITE PS for my DAC & wanted to keep the synergy for both pieces.

When you're up & running we'll have to compare notes on our findings! Very positive & well worth the small investment. It kept me from thinking about moving on from the NODE 2i. No need to now as far as I'm concerned.

• jbreezy5

Can’t wait to hear it!

You'll be glad you did!!!! 👍👍

I have a different PS (iFi ELITE 5V). I almost went with the LPS25VA but I already had a ELITE PS for my DAC & wanted to keep the synergy for both pieces.

When you're up & running we'll have to compare notes on our findings! Very positive & well worth the small investment. It kept me from thinking about moving on from the NODE 2i. No need to now as far as I'm concerned.

That iFi is new to me. Looks like a very high quality piece with the active noise-cancellation design.

I’m glad to get the SMPS removed and go linear supply.

I think it will be great.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,308
    FWIW, I have the iFi iPower Elite 12v (2 of them) running on the system now, along with other higher end LPS's/digital cables/fuses/custom works. It's not like the signal/noise increased. It definitely decreased.

Measurements may not mean much to me or others but in this case? They may not lie.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jbreezy5
    FWIW, I have the iFi iPower Elite 12v (2 of them) running on the system now, along with other higher end LPS's/digital cables/fuses/custom works. It's not like the signal/noise increased. It definitely decreased.

Measurements may not mean much to me or others but in this case? They may not lie.

Tom

Everything Phil described, I previously experienced when replacing the wall-wart of my Dacmagic with a LPS many years ago.

Agree with you also about lower noise floor.

• pearsall001
    Once you experience the way music simply "flows" you'll know what a lower noise floor is all about. It kinda creeps up you. At first you can't explain what happened & then you realize you are experiencing a black background. It simply unleashes the music 🎵🎵🎵