Soundcraftsmen

I've got a pro power three in need of repair. I realize this amp is not worth much, but cosmetically it's mint, and frankly I think it sounds pretty good cranking out tunes in my basement shop system. Still plays great, but the cooling fan no longer works. Nothing wrong with the fan, no power at the connection point on the board. A Google search returns pretty much zero in terms of repair options. Anyone have experience with repair shops on the east coast that might be up for it?

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Are you near Atlanta?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    SE PA, Reading to be specific. I'm leaning toward EBC electronics in NJ. Though they don't, and neither does anybody else, list Soundcraftsmen as one of the brands they service.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Any self respecting electronics repair facility should work on vintage electronics. Not for free of course
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2023
    Seems like the potential (no pun intended!) issues, if not the fan itself, would be the power supply to the fan or (if there is one) a thermostatic switch that turns it on and off. I would be surprised if the power supplied to the fan is unique to it; i.e., loss of power to the fan might reasonably be expected ;) to have other effects. IF (and that's a big if, since I don't know) there's a thermostat (or even just a relay) upstream of the fan -- it should be easy to diagnose and easy to repair.

Is the fan AC or DC powered? @DaveHo When you say there's no power to it, did you check for AC or DC (or both)?

I don't know this model Soundcraftsmen, but I'll see if I can find a schematic. :)

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2023
    Whoop. Looks like the fan runs straight off the AC mains (EDIT: umm, or maybe it's from that fullwave bridge on the neutral leg?! derp :p ). Not much to go wrong; maybe the power connector for the fan (EDIT: or the bridge rectifier, the capacitor or the resistor in that little P/S... although, again, I would expect issues there to have "pleiotropic" effects in the amplifier!).

EDIT^2: Pretty sure the fan's running from the AC mains. The 240V wiring inset on the schematic is what's confusing me. Well, at any rate, that's my story and I am sticking to it! :p

jhd6e5xbwd9g.png

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Pro Power Schematics.pdf

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    You can try Mort's in Levittown PA. That would be about a 1 hour drive for you. BTW I'm in the Reading PA area, too. Shillington.

Mort's TV & Video Inc.
    (215) 945-8381

https://g.co/kgs/KWSTKi
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    I gave the schematic a scan and noticed there is a fuse (3A, 250V?). That is something to check, if it hasn't been mentioned.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2023
    I think that's the mains fuse (although 3A seems a bit low for a stereo power amp of any reasonable output). If so, though: were it popped, whole shebang'd be muerto.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited January 2023
    Thanks for the suggestions. Let me pop the cover again and recheck the connection point on the board for power. Don't recall if I checked for both AC & DC. It very well may be the fan. When I didn't get any power at the board, I assumed it was not...
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2023
    If you checked for DC and the connection is AC, you'd (edit: probably) see zero V. If you checked for DC and it's AC, you'd probably see zero V, too.
    Although I agree the fan should be more or less immortal. :)
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on