Integra DRX 5.4 and Onkyo TX-RZ50

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
Hello everyone,
I was at a job last week and got to mess around with a Integra DTR60.6. This was in a dedicated Theater with M&K THX speakers with dual subs. Man let me tell you, the Integra is stupid dynamic and clear. It made me put the Integra and Onkyo on my list of new AVR's to consider before getting a new one.

The Onkyo is basically exactly the same as the Integra with less IR connections on the back, who cares I would control it IP anyway I have a Total Control Control system.

The Onkyo cost less Than the Integra counter part $1600 vs $2200. It's basically like comparing Denon and Marantz as Marantz is the Integra of their line. Except actually different companies as Integra is more of a Lexus of the Toyota.

So for the sheer hell of it I researched the Onkyo and I can't find a bad review of it. If anything , it gets glowing reviews as a benchmark of todays AVR's at any price.
Again, I'm a flagship kinda guy for no better reason than feeling left out. I don't like giving up things to save a buck, I'd rather spend a little more but the more I research this , the more I come up with more waste of money than benefits.

I'd love to do a head to head with Marantz, Denon, Onkyo and Integra and see which one I like more. Features they all cover every single need I have it will actually come down to sound quality. I'd like to hear them on the new Polk Reserve's and this might be doable at a local retailer at World Wide or my old stomping ground Audiolab. Both have a lot of these products on the showroom floor so I'm planning on doing some touring and getting my listen on.

It's been a very long time since I did anything like this. With my current condition, I need something to spark my interest back into getting very deep back into this hobby.

What are your thoughts?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mantis
    Options
    Here is a compare link, there is NO spec that is different EXCEPT the IR in and outputs.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420/Home-Theater-Receivers.html?fa=1#&nvpair=FFBrand|Integra&nvpair=FFBrand|Onkyo
    Dan
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    I would have been concerned about the viability of the Onkyo, Integra, and Pioneer brands a couple years ago as they went bankrupt. Sound United attempted to buy the brands but didn't so their distributor essentially made the arrangements to keep them afloat. They had good products in the pipeline and now seem to have a stable manufacturing and distribution chain. Klipsch and a few other brands are under the same ownership umbrella as Onkyo.

The RZ50 is marketed alongside Klipsch speakers, because of the new ownership model, and even has a "Klipsch Optimize" mode built into it. It looks comparable to something like the Denon X3800H model to me. It's the best they make these days. Pioneer has also targeted the mid-market level. Should be a good performer though.
  • mantis
    Options
    I haven't researched any of that lately, since Covid , I really haven't dug my heels in to deep into anything up until now.
    I'm gonna talk to our Integra Rep and see what's happening now. See how those companies are doing and where they stand.

I feel bad for Pioneer as Elite is all but dead. They never made a considerable comeback in the game with Tv's , Blu Ray players UHD for that matter and receivers. It would be really nice to see them make a killer comeback, keep the ELITE name and have meaning behind it.

Marantz really made a nice statement with their new line and I think it's going to be a good year for them. They didn't release the entire line all at once which I wish they did. I'd really like to get my hands on a Cinema 40.
    Dan
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Pioneer technology and the people scattered like cockroaches in the light Dan when it hit the fan. Some of the pioneer panel TV tech went to Panasonic from my understanding but that tech and brand never hit our shores. Shame!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    From what I understand the huge electronics company Sharp is handling manufacturing for the product lines now for Onkyo. Sharp is mainly known in the US for microwave ovens and photocopiers among other things but they do a lot more in the rest of the world. Sharp in turn is majority owned by Foxconn. Foxconn is the world's largest electronics manufacturer. I'd say they're in good hands for now as long as they can sell product. Manufacturing audio gear for the Onkyo brand is a drop in the bucket for them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    From Sharp minds come Sharp products.....
  • Ric5811
    Ric5811 Posts: 400
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I haven't researched any of that lately, since Covid , I really haven't dug my heels in to deep into anything up until now.
    I'm gonna talk to our Integra Rep and see what's happening now. See how those companies are doing and where they stand.

I feel bad for Pioneer as Elite is all but dead. They never made a considerable comeback in the game with Tv's , Blu Ray players UHD for that matter and receivers. It would be really nice to see them make a killer comeback, keep the ELITE name and have meaning behind it.

Marantz really made a nice statement with their new line and I think it's going to be a good year for them. They didn't release the entire line all at once which I wish they did. I'd really like to get my hands on a Cinema 40.

Pioneer is certainly not dead, their new receivers are highly regarded now, and you're trading between features between Onkyo, Integra a nd Pioneer as they are all in the same house now. Depends on your needs. The Pioneer has some nice very specific features and so does the Integra, when comparing the 5.4 vs RZ50 vs LX505. Good comparison website https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/integra-drx-5.4/onkyo-tx-rz50/
    Polk RTi A7's FrontPolk CSi A4 CenterPolk Tsi 100's SurroundOnkyo TX-RZ50:)Oppo BDP 83 (Collecting dust)MIT Terminator 3 Speaker CableMIT Terminator 2 IC's (Oppo 2 chan)Signal Cable HT TWOEpson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080Hisense 55 U8GBelkin PF 60 Power Center
  • mantis
    Options
    Ric5811 wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »

Pioneer is certainly not dead, their new receivers are highly regarded now, and you're trading between features between Onkyo, Integra a nd Pioneer as they are all in the same house now. Depends on your needs. The Pioneer has some nice very specific features and so does the Integra, when comparing the 5.4 vs RZ50 vs LX505. Good comparison website https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/integra-drx-5.4/onkyo-tx-rz50/
    Thanks for that. Pioneer Elite isn't talked about in the Custom Install Circles that I know of. Integra to me is making a comeback but not Pioneer Elite. I really liked Pioneer Elite as I had at least 4 of them over my years, all flagship level models.

The 505 seems like a repeat of the RZ50 and DRX5.4, I'm wondering how exact they are.
    Dan