Emotiva new AVR

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
Hello everyone,
Right now I'm in a holding pattern for a new AVR. I sold my Sony 5000ES which was a rock solid performer. I was lined to to get a Denon AVR x4800H or a Marantz Cinema 40 but they are not available to me yet. So I gotta wait until they come into stock so I can select which one I want.

But while I wait to get a new AVR, I noticed Emotiva released a pretty powerful pretty nice AVR and it's stupidly affordable. I think I saw $1999 which is damn good for what I learned about it so far. DIdn't get into deep yet but I figured if anyone else has , they could share their thoughts.

What's crazy is I can grab easily a Denon AVR x3800H or a Marantz Cinema 50 but they are to close to flagship enough and I keep questioning myself IF I actually NEED a closer to flagship model? My Room is only 15 x 21 x 14 High and I don't listen at reference levels hardly never. I always have plenty of reserve power left and then a few years later sell my AVR and get something new.

I hate being impatient as I want something new now.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    This is it.

https://emotiva.com/collections/newest-products/products/basx-mr1-11-2-channel-dolby-atmos®-dts-x™-cinema-receiver

Must say I'm impressed. That toroidal transformer is huge for a receiver and the money was put into amplification. I'd be interested in seeing reliability reviews regarding processing gremlins because these types of ground up designs often have major flaws.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Good looking layout on the back. Although it does remind me a lot of the ATi gear. I also like that they gave specs for multi-channel power output as well, not many do that anymore.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I think it's cool they prioritized the amp section and didn't bother with 8K video processing. That must be the most powerful receiver on the market since Denon had that huge flagship model years ago that was actually a processor sitting on top of an amp in the same chassis.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • mantis
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Those old Denon's where awesome. I remember setting up the 5805 and man what a beast
    Dan
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    I would probably get this and call it a day. The Yamaha adventage series is awesome:
    https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa3080bl-rb/yamaha-rx-a3080-9.2-ch-x-150-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Agree stay away from smaller brands for processors
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Going to ask what’s probably a stupid question.
    As I know zippo regarding receivers, so be easy with shredding my ignorance….

Are there any manufactures that use high power class d amps, to negate the power definciancy, in receivers?
    My thinking is.., it would be easy to have 400-500 watts per channel, with high current capability, in receivers.

With the small package & efficiency of these new class d amp modules is this something that makes sense?

Am I in fantasy land here…..,
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Also a big fan of denon - that’s what I run in my dedicated HT - and I think it’s overall a step up from the yammie just because the calibration software is much better, especially with sub: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4700h/denon-avr-x4700h-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

I honestly don’t know why you need the newest version unless you are gonna go 8k…but good luck finding any content lol…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »

Are there any manufactures that use high power class d amps, to negate the power definciancy, in receivers?
    My thinking is.., it would be easy to have 400-500 watts per channel, with high current capability, in receivers.

With the small package & efficiency of these new class d amp modules is this something that makes sense?

Pioneer did before their slide.... It was their Elite line.
  • Emlyn
    edited January 2023
    Options

Pioneer used Class D amps in their Elite line of AV receivers for more than a decade. I think NAD does too. There's no solid justification for a manufacturer to have modules with more than 100 or so watts all channel continuous output for a home theater receiver because of cost. Someone can add external amps if they need more.

The Pioneer receivers were efficient, produced little heat, sounded good, were reliable, and could drive 4 ohm speaker loads. I still have two of them in action, just not in main systems. I haven't paid much attention to what Pioneer has been doing in recent times.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 999
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Makes sense.

Putting high power class f’d in a receiver’s probably more expensive than using amps & receiver as a pre….

Tanks.

🤣
    Have no idea what a class f’d amp is… bahahaaaa.
  • mantis
    Options

They don't exist. But that would be cool

Dan
  • vader540is
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    Right now I'm in a holding pattern for a new AVR. I sold my Sony 5000ES which was a rock solid performer. I was lined to to get a Denon AVR x4800H or a Marantz Cinema 40 but they are not available to me yet. So I gotta wait until they come into stock so I can select which one I want.

But while I wait to get a new AVR, I noticed Emotiva released a pretty powerful pretty nice AVR and it's stupidly affordable. I think I saw $1999 which is damn good for what I learned about it so far. DIdn't get into deep yet but I figured if anyone else has , they could share their thoughts.

What's crazy is I can grab easily a Denon AVR x3800H or a Marantz Cinema 50 but they are to close to flagship enough and I keep questioning myself IF I actually NEED a closer to flagship model? My Room is only 15 x 21 x 14 High and I don't listen at reference levels hardly never. I always have plenty of reserve power left and then a few years later sell my AVR and get something new.

I hate being impatient as I want something new now.

Sure the power is nice, as long as you don't care about room correction ( IE dirac) & HDMI 2.1 then im sure it will be fine. $1999 is a great price.