Just left audio solutions in Indy. Amg do they have some great hi end audio

2»

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Party at Ivan's or Rich's house. I will be waiting for my "save the date" invitation.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Bloomington, Illinois ....Salute! I've been to two of you guy's houses.

I must correct myself here.
    Brian aka @bcwsrt , Bruce aka @Faustin and Richie's aka @SCompRacer I've crossed a threshold. So 3 members in this thread.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited January 2023
    Once upon a time there was the Rockford Audio Society that was very active. Members hosted gear and music meets. There was all day, many stores visited used music shopping. Mostly vinyl, some digital. Mostly in the cheese state as WI had lower prices than the Chicago area.

IMO the music meets were the most fun. The host set criteria and you brought music that fit. This introduced you to artists you may have not been familiar with. The gear meets had a lot of A/B same music for comparison.

RAS members were Doug, Dave, Brock, Blake, Mike (Bloomington), Victor, Aaron (two Aarons IIRC), Norm (RIP). I know I missed some, can't recall their names. They were right, the memory is the first to go.... :)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,527
    Being the new guy here, it is understandable if you missed me in your original count 😋, though I believe I may be the most recent!
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Being the new guy here, it is understandable if you missed me in your original count 😋, though I believe I may be the most recent!

yep you were the most recent!
  • SCompRacer
    If there weren't FNG's, nothing would continue. :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2023
    Has anyone been to Holm Audio in Woodridge lately? Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago? At Axpona 2022, I recall meeting one of our forum members who works there, part time? His name escapes me at the moment. EDIT: Chris!

I'm pretty much done with gear except for, maybe, another DAC.
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    I'd like to get one going for Illinois and surrounding
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    I'd like to get one going for Illinois and surrounding

I am 2-3 hours away, but I would be interested as well.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,527
    Yeah, we need to make something happen. I've been keeping track of how many IL members respond here and where they are. Need to do a separate thread at some point to see if there are others nearby who'd be interested. Pretty evenly split between northern and central Illinois right now. We need someone in Pontiac/Dwight! Lol

ch1t36tg33sw.png

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 747
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Yeah, we need to make something happen. I've been keeping track of how many IL members respond here and where they are. Need to do a separate thread at some point to see if there are others nearby who'd be interested. Pretty evenly split between northern and central Illinois right now. We need someone in Pontiac/Dwight! Lol

ch1t36tg33sw.png

Let's do it .
  • erniejade
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Holm Audio in Woodridge lately? Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago? At Axpona 2022, I recall meeting one of our forum members who works there, part time? His name escapes me at the moment. EDIT: Chris!

I am about 10 minutes from Holm in Woodridge. They have a lot of new and used stuff. Very nice people to deal with. Not pushy and let you take your time. They also let you take things home on Saturday and return them Tuesday to see if they will work in your home.

I think they have a red tag sale coming up soon.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    @SCompRacer, if you are interested in hearing my Boarder Patrol se-i, let me know. I can bring it with some time after work.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424

That’s me! I’m at Saturday Audio like one day a month these days given life schedule (baby, wife, main job).

Always down for trying to get together sometime if something is happening!! I’m on the North Side by Wrigley right now but prob moving out to Barrington/Arlington Heights area in a year or so.
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 2023
    Hey Chris! Good to hear from you!

Appreciate the offer Brian! It’s always helpful to get another frame of reference. I've visited Holm years ago. Haven't been back. There was a turntable guy there I liked talking to.

I recently acquired a Gustard R26 and Singxer SU-6 DDC to play with.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • erniejade
    Hey Chris! Good to hear from you!

Appreciate the offer Brian! It’s always helpful to get another frame of reference. I've visited Holm years ago. Haven't been back. There was a turntable guy there I liked talking to.

I recently acquired a Gustard R26 and Singxer SU-6 DDC to play with.

That's funny. I was looking at a Gustard R26 recently. The reviews online are great. How do you like it so far? You might save me some $ by doing a shootout :)
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2023
    erniejade wrote: »

That's funny. I was looking at a Gustard R26 recently. The reviews online are great. How do you like it so far? You might save me some $ by doing a shootout :)

I'm very happy with the Gustard R26. I use balanced out which is discrete output, no op amps. There is a monster positive thread about the R26 at Headfi, 285 pages and growing. Lots of sorting now to get at the grain. :) ASR doesn't think much of it. Basically, the claims are LAN input is the best and you must use an FMC (fiber media converter). Aaron had got me into fiber media converters to reduce network noise, so I was covered there. (I also tried LAN without the FMC and didn't notice any noise, YMMV). Some claim the R26 needs the external clock. Few say it needs a DDC or Digital to Digital Converter.

IMO USB input sounds fantastic on the R26 and I suspect many that condemn USB input were using noisy computers with no USB isolation. My Sonore server has a SOtM USB card powered by separate external linear PS so USB out has always been clean/quiet even without USB isolation. The Sonore has a Mini ATX with i7 CPU with its own external PS. Roon Rock is op system on 128GB SSD card. 6TB spinning drive for music with SOtM power filter.

I also have a Singxer SU-6 DDC which is fed via USB from the Sonore and outputs I2S via HDMI to the R26. All inputs sound great to me with some minor differences.

Attached is a diagram of R26 input settings from Gustard. PCM OFF, DSD Direct OFF, PCM/DSD enter, (DSD will be converted to PCM) and go through the interpolation filter with volume control then to R-2R ladder. Three filters are available. If you select PCM ON, PCM proceeds unmolested to R-2R ladder with NO volume control. I use Roon to convert to Native DSD512 and send to DAC. I'd rather use a high-performance PC to carry out digital oversampling/filtering versus letting the DAC do it.

If you select DSD Direct ON, DSD will go through the Native 1Bit D2A circuit. The 1bit is on main board with the R-2R ladder on daughter board covering it. (The 1Bit are the two rows of blue resistors, middle left of pic). However, I7 Audiolab did measurements and said the Sinad was awful with DSD Direct ON (68dB) on the 1Bit. I have listened (speakers) and haven't heard noise but some folks that used headphones said there is noise, some say no noise.

When you select PCM/DSD ON, DAC volume is full tilt, no adjustment, so I'd need a headphone amp to try and listen with headphones. I haven't seen any other R26 measurements to compare to the I7 site to see if he got a bad one or the 1Bit is what it is.

"However, the built-in DSD direct solution module is a bit too magical:"

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/gustard-r26/

r3sa7ip0gfqy.png

azvrfpicf0bn.jpg

9xm6i72pk7uk.jpg
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2023
    One other thing about the R26, many seem to have issues with updating firmware. I have not had any issues updating firmware.

There are two firmware's, System and Renderer. System has been sent via email support to some and is not available on Gustard site. The Renderer firmware has been updated from 1.3 and is on Gustard site. Gustarender version 1.4 eradicated noise at the start of DSD playback. Can't recall what the newer system firmware did, but someone shared it in the 850 plus page thread at Headfi.

System firmware can be determined holding down the button on right hand side of unit, then press the power on and the firmware date will display. The Renderer will show up in playback software as Gustarender-1vX.

Renderer firmware is on internal SD card. Need a Windows PC. Must connect to USB C connector on R26, not the USB B and if power is on, USBImager won't see the SD Card. MAC has a process using Balena Etcher.

flnpfv99k8yd.jpg
    mo6t1tbttiid.jpg
    1e38jjq2o0v2.jpg

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    This is a great thread
    It’s always nice to have local amigos
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • erniejade
    Looks like that thing is built. The Boarder Patrol is more limited as far as inputs, but it is an R2R and tube rectifier.