What other hobbies do you have?

Options

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,011
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I buy, collect, trade (and of course drink) tequila.

Good to know, Jody! I'm all ears for recommendations. I picked up a bottle of the Fortaleza blanco to mix cocktails with yesterday!
    Tim, if you're using Fortaleza to make cocktails, you are living the HIGH-LIFE, my friend! For me, Fortaleza is reserved purely for sipping, but you get on with your bad self! B)

I don't want to de-rail this thread with a bunch of tequila-talk (we have another thread for that), but if you haven't tried the Fortaleza blanco still-strength, you owe it to yourself to do so. I visited their distillery a few years ago, and was fortunate enough to taste it straight from the still...warm. Guillermo and his crew make it in the old skool way o:)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Fishing. I work so I can afford to fish. I also love inventing stuff. Designing and building stuff as well as restoring old stuff. Most all because I'm too cheap and ana1 about quality is why I never hire anyone to do anything unless I can hover over them and make sure they are doing it right. Oh and mushroom hunting and photography.

pxr696ss7ksi.jpg

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    Options
    I went mushroom hunting once an.......oh, look! Do you hear the lights and see the rhythm of the music?

BTW, did you see the two telephone poles walk across the street? That was küül....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,112
    Options
    Hanging out with the kiddo getting into mischief!

I'd move a mountain for that little chunkamunkon

7hv9nzc7jp2f.jpeg

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    Options
    In other words, family is your hobby?

One of the best things about your wife is this...

She gave you more than any other woman on this big. blue marble. She gave you a family.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    Options
    daughters are wonderful until the estrogen hits their bloodstream. Then it's like that scene from the exorcist.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,112
    Options
    That has me laughing because I know it's true lol!

Indeed Tom, all about the fam!

foly8kd3dgvp.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    Fortaleza is reserved purely for sipping,

I made a Cadillac Margarita with it. Delicious, BUT you are absolutely correct...NOT for cocktails. Much better on its own. Or at least, more worthwhile to sip, as you mentioned. I had been buying Tapatio for cocktails, but they raised the price on the brand here in Houston.

And, as luck would have it, I popped into a random liquor store a few months ago and saw the still-strength at retail price on the shelf. Had to grab one. Haven't popped it open yet. I'll let you know what I think when I do. Glad to know you enjoy it!
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    daughters are wonderful until the estrogen hits their bloodstream. Then it's like that scene from the exorcist.

I've heard. I have two still single-digits-years-old. My wife says, "if they are anything remotely like the way I was to my mom, I'm in trouble." I don't mention it to her, but when she says that, I secretly smile inside because she says "my mom" and not "my parents." 😬
  • jdjohn
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Fishing. I work so I can afford to fish. I also love inventing stuff. Designing and building stuff as well as restoring old stuff. Most all because I'm too cheap and ana1 about quality is why I never hire anyone to do anything unless I can hover over them and make sure they are doing it right. Oh and mushroom hunting and photography.

pxr696ss7ksi.jpg
    Nice! Is that a lake trout?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Fortaleza is reserved purely for sipping,

I made a Cadillac Margarita with it. Delicious, BUT you are absolutely correct...NOT for cocktails. Much better on its own. Or at least, more worthwhile to sip, as you mentioned. I had been buying Tapatio for cocktails, but they raised the price on the brand here in Houston.

And, as luck would have it, I popped into a random liquor store a few months ago and saw the still-strength at retail price on the shelf. Had to grab one. Haven't popped it open yet. I'll let you know what I think when I do. Glad to know you enjoy it!
    The old Tapatio 1L bottles were a great value, and are still a Cadillac marg in my opinion. I know they have now switched to the typical 750ml bottles. That is a bit of a sell-out IMO, but they still make a good product.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Spring King Salmon
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Aka Chinook salmon, and a nice one!
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    Jeeps!

1l19embmshsm.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,884
    Options
    Still mountain biking during the proper seasons. Will try fat biking this winter and perhaps buy one.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,133
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Will try fat biking this winter and perhaps buy one.

I thought all you needed to do was eat more to go fat-biking…

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    I'm a huge car guy. Some what brand loyal but love many different kinds of cars. I'm very much into Car detailing , car shows and I love drag racing .

I also play guitar as a hobby, not serious at all anymore with it. I play a few times a month for 1/2 or so and just enjoy it. I'd like to spend more time with it but when I get time to play, I'm usually tired from my day.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,109
    Options
    Mostly golf in recent years. Love to fish in Minnesota. Used to bowl a lot and played some softball. I enjoy working with tools, repairing, cleaning, tinkering with stuff...still learning too.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    I play foosball tournaments. I once partnered with a 9 time world champion pro master in a draw your partner tournament, we ended up winning that. The local tournament played on Tuesday night gets quite a few pro and few pro masters. Sometimes a 7 time world champion that was in the Guinness book of world records as best forward in foosball back in the late 80's shows up.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    A continuous replanting of trees is needed.

h4qjujgh6gwd.jpg
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I’m in….. where we going?
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    A continuous replanting of trees is needed.

Love the photography on that one.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Yep.
    AFX with 3d printed body clips to lower the body to the chassis
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options
    Looks great!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I do iRacing as some of you know. Race against drivers from all over the world including some professional drivers. I have raced against Dale Jr. and some F1 drivers. iRacing is owned by the owner of the Boston Red Sox who is also an owner of a NASCAR team.

rvz1sw6nvp9e.jpg

09danwy9am6j.jpg

I'm a member of the 60 Plus league (drivers 60 and over). Some of the members raced in real life, car and motorcycles. We run a 12 week season with 2 drop races. The races are on YouTube 3 times during the season. Here is one of our races at Road America. I'm car 99. There are 2 races, best one of the two counts.

https://youtu.be/Nb_BtcSS5Jk

I got into Sim racing more when I couldn't do track days anymore as an old neck injury started causing me problems with the g forces in the corners.

I've always loved going fast in cars, I had my first go kart when I was 7 years old, a twin engine 90 mph one when I was 9. I did some drag racing in high school, won my class at the 68 AHRA Summer Nationals at Green Valley drag strip in Texas.

Raced 1/8 gas R/C cars from 1975 to 1981 going to many National races. Then took a break from any kind of racing as we raised our kids. Then got a MINI Cooper and started doing track days.
    itr0t8wje5je.jpg
    Post edited by Milito on
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    @Milito that looks awesome! I imagine that's not an inexpensive setup you have there. I know nothing about iRacing, but I'd love to sit down in something like what you have there and give it a go.

The closest I ever got was, I took a tour of an aviation training facility, and they let us "play around" on the flight simulator. By play, I mean they figured we'd all crash the plane or have to default to autopilot, and our host left the room for a bit. When he came back, he was flabbergasted to see I had actually landed the plane safely. Must have been all that Nintendo Top Gun playing I did in the 80s, as none of the others with me even came close to controlling the plane.

I figure I'd crash and burn pretty quickly on your iRacing kit, but if you're ever on a jumbo jet with me and the pilots pass out, I'll do my best to save everyone on board.