Options
13»

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Braddles63 wrote: »
    Pulled one of the 8"drivers from my R700's for a sticky beak inside. For the price the bracing and dampening is pretty impressive, The 8"drivers are heavy as. Thinking of what sort of improvement could be had by upgrading some caps and resistors. Maybe one day.mik7jqkk09p3.jpg
    a2sp60wjzzce.jpg
    zaa45cemq3kw.jpg

I'd like to see some pic's of the finish and the back panel. I heard there is a noticeable seem there.

You lost me at stamped-steel.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @Braddles63 Thanks for the inner pictures. Any chance you could take some pics of the 6-1/2" midwoofer?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    The R700 aren't perfect but they are high value speakers for sure, from what I've seen. Here's a couple good reviews, with the former good on measurements and the latter good on subjective evaluation.

Lots of tech details here:
    https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/polk-reserve-r700

Reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdHTG8nSz1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH8JB1PZH48
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • rsav
    rsav Posts: 2
    Options
    I created an account just to chime in here. I received the R700s in December. I was completely devastated with how bad the higher frequencies were. It sounded like I was listening through a film, or it was muffled. It was not what I would expect from a "reference" series speaker, or a speaker in this price range. I returned them and can't believe Andrew Robinson reviewed them without mentioning this. I won't watch his channel any more.
  • rsav
    rsav Posts: 2
    Options
    I own the R700 and R400, the build quality/finish and aesthetics is top of the line. If you like shiny finishes or real wood veneer than not for you. I completely understand not liking the fake wood veneer vinyl, I do not either. In person these speakers do not scream cheap at all, not the slightest, to me they scream high end performance.

Idk how you can call the fit and finish top of the line. They're literally covered in vinyl or fake wood. Then you say if you like real wood or shiny finishes they're not for you, when those have always been the standard for "top of the line". I think they look incredibly cheap with the oddly shaped plastic cones.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    3qbhoahmt1pr.gif
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Go away Troll.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Braddles63
    Options
    Considering the current wait times I’m sure they appreciate having some stock back. Shame you only gave them a short time before you jumped. IME they do need some running in before they show what they really have. But hey not everyone likes the same thing. Sounds like you need some Klipsch.