Help with replacing binding posts (banana plugs)

Unpacking after a move, I noticed one of my binding posts broke off. It looks like removal/replacement is not an easy thing (unless I'm missing something). I had previously done a cross-over rebuild, and I'm not looking to dis-assemble that mount again (or a lot of down-time). What's the best way to proceed with a repair (my wires are terminated with banana plugs--but I'm open to just soldering the bare wire on to that one terminal)?
Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited January 2023
    Post a picture of the binding post. Many of us have removed the original and would offer up an original we still have in the stash. I've done this a tiem or two. Some are splined round others hexagon and smooth. If it doesn't matter will then you have more options :smile:
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Here's a pic (negative terminal):
    slhsvufu6eyx.jpg
    It's not obvious how you remove it...unless it's as simple as "unscrewing it" from the back (in which case I can see where a OEM replacement would work).
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 244
    It's a fairly straightforward job but does require removing the crossover. I just upgraded the binding posts on my 7b's and saved the originals. Message me your address and I'd be happy to send you one.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    As mentioned, you will have to remove the crossover from the binding post plate. Then you will find there are gobs of a glue material covering the binding post nuts. Apply denatured alcohol with a Q-tip or other applicator and soak the glue. After 5 minutes or more you will be able to peel the glue right off. After you've changed the post you have to reseal all that was before. Use hot glue for that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Looks like I'll have an OEM replacement part soon thanks to @joebass3...so I consider this thread closed/answered! Thanks for the labor tips...and thanks to the forum.