Marantz Cinema 50

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited January 2023 in Electronics
Hello everyone,
I finally got my hands on one today and it's pretty fantastic. But I also used Bryston amps to drive a full Snell Home theater system so I didn't get to hear the amps but I did configure it into Preamp mode and It was impressive.
The look feel and quality of these new Cinema models are damn nice. I really like it.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    The Marantz/Snell HT setup is pretty badazz. When I was at CEDIA several years ago upon the release of ATMOS via blu-ray, Marantz bar none was the best display and worth standing inline for the presentation.

Mad Max: Fury Road was the Atmos hit at that time with Blu-Ray release
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I love my 8802 but it doesn’t have power ! It sounds fantastic! Congratulations on the C-50
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I finally got my hands on one today and it's pretty fantastic. But I also used Bryston amps to drive a full Snell Home theater system so I didn't get to hear the amps but I did configure it into Preamp mode and It was impressive.
    The look feel and quality of these new Cinema models are damn nice. I really like it.

Awesome to hear! How many Atmos channels are you running?

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    It is going to take something pretty significant to dislodge my AV8805A but I am liking the direction that the Cinema series is going.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    It is going to take something pretty significant to dislodge my AV8805A but I am liking the direction that the Cinema series is going.

That’s a step up from my 8802 so I know you’re loving that.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Jelly! I’m still hoping to find a cheap AV7705 mkII at a decent price when I have some extra funds lol.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mantis
    Options
    I love my 8802 but it doesn’t have power ! It sounds fantastic! Congratulations on the C-50
    I sold and installed the Cinema 50, it's not mine. I upgraded a Integra Preamp to the Cinema 50 as a preamp. The new Marantz line, one of it's features it preamp mode which disconnects the internal amps for a clean preamp out of a receiver. Pretty fantastic.
    It I get one, I'm looking at the Cinema 40

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Awesome to hear! How many Atmos channels are you running?
    As I said above, I sold it and then installed it, it's not mine. It's a 5.2 system with Bryston amps an Snell speakers. It was pretty wonderful.

Dan
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,600
    Options
    I like Snell speakers, do you know what kind they were?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I think the SR8015 has that pre-amp disconnect feature too but not sure about the other models in the SR line. I had my eye on that before the supply went down and the prices went sky high. But I decided it was time to have a long term solution in my home theater space and got an AV8805A before the prices went up. Very happy with that model.

I'd be looking at the Cinema line as first choice if I was in the market again.
  • mantis
    Options
    Sometimes prices just don't make sense to me. The new AV10 is $7000.00. Minus the balanced outputs, is basically the same as the Cinema 40. For $3500.00 you get internal amps that are very clean powerful and IF you wanted to add external amps, the Cinema has the dedicated Preamp feature.

In many cases , I don't see the need for balanced connections unless you have a very noisy meaning RF and EMI environment. The value for me just isn't there. Spending $7000.00 on a preamp and amp, well that is more realistic to me. I'm sure they will sell very well in high end theater systems.
    Dan
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Interesting stuff. The AV10 is not intended to replace the AV8805A which will continue. It's a next level up. Marantz will have three processors on the market. After viewing this I can see why the AV10 is $7K. It could cost more! It's more than just adding some additional channels including more subwoofer outputs and Dirac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HmINmzDvo
  • mantis
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Interesting stuff. The AV10 is not intended to replace the AV8805A which will continue. It's a next level up. Marantz will have three processors on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HmINmzDvo
    These video's are very much like our actual training sessions that use to happen in person. I think it's really cool non industry people get to watch these.

Dan