TIDAL - The hidden gems

Okay folks, I am going to try something off the beaten path. Something that hasn't been tried before and hopefully, something that will ensure a great discussion on the one thing that has alluded many a forum.

That being the actual "discussion" of the music!

What this thread is meant for is those rare gems (NOT just what you like to hear) that you discover on Tidal that are worthy of someone else reading this thread to listen too.

A great recording.

Genre's do NOT matter in this thread. If you run across something that is simply the crème de la crème of audiophilia?

Post it here.

Caveat - It MUST be available on Tidal.

Any history about the song or album, please share with us. Any history about the singers, players, special equipment or recording techniques, please share that with us.

This is NOT the, "What are you listening too" thread. This is a thread to where we actually share and discuss the music....the one thing that we all enjoy. Please be respectful and don't just post what you are listening too. If you want a post count? Move to the other thread.

This is a thread to find those hidden gems of music that we all can enjoy and talk about.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Okay, so Qobuz's thread is off to a good start. This thread is as dead as a doorknob.

There has GOT to be a hidden gem on Tidal.....

Oh, wait. I have one. This one is NOT available on Qobuz. I feel sorry for those that can't hear it. It's a song by Marianas Trench that has been mentioned here before. If you want to evaluate what a Network Audio Player can do? You want this one as a reference.

Why?

Because it will let you know in a heartbeat whether or not your NAP setup sucks, needs improvement, or is at or near stellar. This song does not play around. You may enjoy it for the first minute or so but when the passages get all hot and heavy?

Your NAP aspect either folds and collapses or it shines.

This song *SHOULD* sound crystal clear on your rig. There should be no digital hash, unwanted artifacts, glare or BS within the playback effort. No "distortion" for those who do not know what I am talking about.

If you have Tidal? Give it a whirl and let this be a reference for you. Mark my words.....as you go along your streaming journey? This will be one song you will want to playback as the ultimate (or one of) challenges for complexity.

"The Killing Kind".

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Let me get some thoughts together on this.....I've found some cool things on Tidal that I wouldn't normally listen to.....

Start with Chlara "The Evo Sessions"

I've found with Tidal.....and it may be the gear I've got.....but Tidal steams get some things right: female vocals. Strings. Smaller ensembles.

I've been disappointed on larger works that rely on spatial relationships.....soundstaging layering and depth, For example, listening to Pink Floyd is relatively disappointing.

So, lets' start with Chlara and I'll put my thinking cap on....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    Okay, this thread is a little bit more...shall I say.....more slow going than the Qoboz thread but I'll give you a VERY worthy song that's available on both. But, I'll keep it on this thread just to be a PIA for those that have Qobuz only.

*snickers silently*

Take the time to look up, "Big Things Going Down" by Dan Palantsky. The long version. It's about 9 or so minutes long.

You can thank me later. ;)

Tom

• Yes, the killing kind by Mariana’s trench is great, my system survived it pretty well. Try “Seeker” by Hiromi. Piano clarity, then the bass comes in.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I don’t have Qobuz anymore, and I don’t buy many CDs, so the only way I can play is if we are looking for

1. Lesser known artists/albums
    2. Discovered because of tidal
    3. With excellent musicianship and SQ

If that is acceptable, then I have lots of suggestions.

First one, Anderson East, F.A.M.E. Which as far as I know is not on available on cd or vinyl. Here is one of my favs:

https://youtu.be/ikwwwQ5rk88
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    jrogers13 wrote: »
    Yes, the killing kind by Mariana’s trench is great, my system survived it pretty well. Try “Seeker” by Hiromi. Piano clarity, then the bass comes in.

Excellent track! I ended up listening to the entire album. Not my favorite style of jazz, but really excellent sq!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Great idea, although you lost me at Tidal. :)
    Oh, well... back to the wax cylinders I go...

:#

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Yello
    You better hide
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • treitz3
    Great song!

Tom
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    They have quite a number of good songs. I thought they were a relatively new band. Duh, they've been around for 40 years!

Bob
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    If you like Yello check out Boris Blank Electrified.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • treitz3
    edited March 2023

While I wish I could take full credit for this, I simply cannot. This dude I know who goes by the name of Trey (AKA VR3) sent me a text earlier on today about this song.

When he texted me, I was on mile 200 out of about 300 today for work, so I could not check it out. With that said, I told him I would.

So, after waking up at 4:30 this morning and starting my workday at 5, then finally getting off work at 4:53 in the afternoon?

I needed a little audio love.

I caught up on personal stuff, grabbed an adult drink and sat down to listen. Just that felt really good after a day like this (NOT normal) but when I played this song? I wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary.

The piano threw down to almost floor level and sounded, oh so natural, and then about a minute into the song? Oh chit Batman!

If you have a full range system......you will feel a little dizzy after what happens next. It's definitely off the beaten path and as tired as I was? It woke me right on up. Great find, Trey!

This one is definitely a hidden gem. Thanks.

James Blake - Limit to your love

Tom