Warehouse Vega's

mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,454
Hello,

A few years ago I got a decent set of Cerwin Vega AT-12 for the warehouse sound system.

In recent months when I turn it up there would be a crackling sound, I thought it was from the 20+ year old Sony sub. Speakers are 9' up on the shelf. I started to look for used subs and came across a CL add for a PB2000. After a bit of back and forth I was able to get the PB2000 for $400, 2 years old and still under warranty.

I hooked the sub up and started to play some tunes a little loud and still had the crackle. Got the ladder out and it's coming from the AT-12 woofer. On one it rather loud and faint on the other. One of the guys who's heavy into car audio said the voice coils have had enough.

I contacted Parts Express they recommended this to replace it https://www.parts-express.com/Goldwood-GW-12PC-4-12-Heavy-Duty-Woofer-4-Ohm-290-332?quantity=1 $180 to replace the woofers

I looked on the used market not much in San Diego on CL. A pair of M60 for $140. There are other speakers, they are either over priced or not what I'm looking for. Bummer I can't find a pair of TSX550t

I need a speaker's that sounds decent to good and take a bit of a pounding. It is a warehouse, most of the time the volume doesn't go above 9 Oclock and never over 11 on the A301. Budget is 200-300usd.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • I’m a softy for those classy old vintage speakers but I went in a entirely different direction! Still don’t hurt to gawk at some of those (to me) beauties !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • For a warehouse big area get some pa speakers
    Dj speakers pro audio . For your budget that's all you can do . Find used dj speakers pv, Mackie Sherwin vega..
  • mrloren
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    For a warehouse big area get some pa speakers
    Dj speakers pro audio . For your budget that's all you can do . Find used dj speakers pv, Mackie Sherwin vega..

Tried PA speakers once, unless it's loud they suck.

80% of the time it's just above background music. Warehouse is 5000sqf, no forklifts to battle for sound.

Was looking at some JBL https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/7569508213.html Thoughts?

Tony M wrote: »

Vintage speakers are nice but how long would they last?

Here's the M60's I was looking at. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/7559145791.html
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 601
    mrloren wrote: »
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    For a warehouse big area get some pa speakers

Tried PA speakers once, unless it's loud they suck.

80% of the time it's just above background music. Warehouse is 5000sqf, no forklifts to battle for sound.

Was looking at some JBL https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/7569508213.html Thoughts?

Tony M wrote: »

Vintage speakers are nice but how long would they last?

Here's the M60's I was looking at. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/7559145791.html

Those corals would probably not last too long with the Friday rockathons. But even after they blow they'll still be nice to look at. :D
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    One thing Ive noticed in the San Diego area is there is at least one person that tries to snap up good used gear to flip. A lot of the ads are big inventory lists from the same seller. You can try keeping your eyes open for some vintage Polks. A pair of larger Monitors should fill that space and sound good. I did something similar for my barn system with some 1Cs and it is approx the same sq ft as what you have.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 601
    dpowell wrote: »
    One thing Ive noticed in the San Diego area is there is at least one person that tries to snap up good used gear to flip. A lot of the ads are big inventory lists from the same seller. You can try keeping your eyes open for some vintage Polks. A pair of larger Monitors should fill that space and sound good. I did something similar for my barn system with some 1Cs and it is approx the same sq ft as what you have.

I believe that you are referring to a reseller who is out of Vista, CA.

A couple of years ago, during the pandemic I sold off about a dozen pairs of vintage Polks. This gentleman tried to purchase my entire stash for pennies on the dollar. I laughed him off.

I sold all the speakers within 3 weeks and my prices were so good that not one customer tried to lower my prices. :)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    There's a guy near here who tried that during the vintage craze. His prices were so stupid he seems to have ended up with a nice collection all to himself.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    edited January 2023
    la2vegas wrote: »
    dpowell wrote: »

I believe that you are referring to a reseller who is out of Vista, CA.

A couple of years ago, during the pandemic I sold off about a dozen pairs of vintage Polks. This gentleman tried to purchase my entire stash for pennies on the dollar. I laughed him off.

I sold all the speakers within 3 weeks and my prices were so good that not one customer tried to lower my prices. :)

LOL yes that is probably the same guy. I was in the market for a multi-channel amp last summer and his was about the only ad that ever popped up. He tried to convince me to buy one of his amps by telling me I wouldnt be able to find a multi-channel amp with better specs than what he had. I didnt bother to correct him......
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • mrloren
    Yeah that guy in Vista is ..... let's just say I won't buy from him.

I finally decided to just replace the woofers for now. I think it's best if I find what I want on the used market.

sjv1i6xe1f6o.png

It is nice to have mid bass back

Looking on Offer Up and CL.

TSX550t https://offerup.com/item/detail/39a7aecd-ef33-3471-b1ff-69a39419ac40?q=polk+audio sent the seller a message to just buy the speakers, no reply

was going to jump on this but seller is posting them with that weak AVR, did he overdrive them https://offerup.com/item/detail/0fa75a15-300a-3b1c-9573-9c23df6ef723?q=polk+audio