Warehouse Vega's

Options
mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,456
Hello,

A few years ago I got a decent set of Cerwin Vega AT-12 for the warehouse sound system.

In recent months when I turn it up there would be a crackling sound, I thought it was from the 20+ year old Sony sub. Speakers are 9' up on the shelf. I started to look for used subs and came across a CL add for a PB2000. After a bit of back and forth I was able to get the PB2000 for $400, 2 years old and still under warranty.

I hooked the sub up and started to play some tunes a little loud and still had the crackle. Got the ladder out and it's coming from the AT-12 woofer. On one it rather loud and faint on the other. One of the guys who's heavy into car audio said the voice coils have had enough.

I contacted Parts Express they recommended this to replace it https://www.parts-express.com/Goldwood-GW-12PC-4-12-Heavy-Duty-Woofer-4-Ohm-290-332?quantity=1 $180 to replace the woofers

I looked on the used market not much in San Diego on CL. A pair of M60 for $140. There are other speakers, they are either over priced or not what I'm looking for. Bummer I can't find a pair of TSX550t

I need a speaker's that sounds decent to good and take a bit of a pounding. It is a warehouse, most of the time the volume doesn't go above 9 Oclock and never over 11 on the A301. Budget is 200-300usd.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,063
    Options
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I’m a softy for those classy old vintage speakers but I went in a entirely different direction! Still don’t hurt to gawk at some of those (to me) beauties !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • rebelsoul
    Options
    For a warehouse big area get some pa speakers
    Dj speakers pro audio . For your budget that's all you can do . Find used dj speakers pv, Mackie Sherwin vega..
  • mrloren
    Options
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    Dj speakers pro audio . For your budget that's all you can do . Find used dj speakers pv, Mackie Sherwin vega..

Tried PA speakers once, unless it's loud they suck.

80% of the time it's just above background music. Warehouse is 5000sqf, no forklifts to battle for sound.

Was looking at some JBL https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/7569508213.html Thoughts?

Tony M wrote: »

Vintage speakers are nice but how long would they last?

Here's the M60's I was looking at. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/7559145791.html
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 606
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    rebelsoul wrote: »

Tried PA speakers once, unless it's loud they suck.

80% of the time it's just above background music. Warehouse is 5000sqf, no forklifts to battle for sound.

Was looking at some JBL https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/7569508213.html Thoughts?

Tony M wrote: »

Vintage speakers are nice but how long would they last?

Here's the M60's I was looking at. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/7559145791.html

Those corals would probably not last too long with the Friday rockathons. But even after they blow they'll still be nice to look at. :D
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,063
    Options
    One thing Ive noticed in the San Diego area is there is at least one person that tries to snap up good used gear to flip. A lot of the ads are big inventory lists from the same seller. You can try keeping your eyes open for some vintage Polks. A pair of larger Monitors should fill that space and sound good. I did something similar for my barn system with some 1Cs and it is approx the same sq ft as what you have.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 606
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    One thing Ive noticed in the San Diego area is there is at least one person that tries to snap up good used gear to flip. A lot of the ads are big inventory lists from the same seller. You can try keeping your eyes open for some vintage Polks. A pair of larger Monitors should fill that space and sound good. I did something similar for my barn system with some 1Cs and it is approx the same sq ft as what you have.

I believe that you are referring to a reseller who is out of Vista, CA.

A couple of years ago, during the pandemic I sold off about a dozen pairs of vintage Polks. This gentleman tried to purchase my entire stash for pennies on the dollar. I laughed him off.

I sold all the speakers within 3 weeks and my prices were so good that not one customer tried to lower my prices. :)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,731
    Options
    There's a guy near here who tried that during the vintage craze. His prices were so stupid he seems to have ended up with a nice collection all to himself.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,063
    edited January 2023
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    dpowell wrote: »

I believe that you are referring to a reseller who is out of Vista, CA.

A couple of years ago, during the pandemic I sold off about a dozen pairs of vintage Polks. This gentleman tried to purchase my entire stash for pennies on the dollar. I laughed him off.

I sold all the speakers within 3 weeks and my prices were so good that not one customer tried to lower my prices. :)

LOL yes that is probably the same guy. I was in the market for a multi-channel amp last summer and his was about the only ad that ever popped up. He tried to convince me to buy one of his amps by telling me I wouldnt be able to find a multi-channel amp with better specs than what he had. I didnt bother to correct him......

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • mrloren
    Options
    Yeah that guy in Vista is ..... let's just say I won't buy from him.

I finally decided to just replace the woofers for now. I think it's best if I find what I want on the used market.

sjv1i6xe1f6o.png

It is nice to have mid bass back

Looking on Offer Up and CL.

TSX550t https://offerup.com/item/detail/39a7aecd-ef33-3471-b1ff-69a39419ac40?q=polk+audio sent the seller a message to just buy the speakers, no reply

was going to jump on this but seller is posting them with that weak AVR, did he overdrive them https://offerup.com/item/detail/0fa75a15-300a-3b1c-9573-9c23df6ef723?q=polk+audio