Grilling; Trying Indirect-ish

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,466
edited December 2022 in The Clubhouse
Just grilled my big Aldi Family Pack of chicken **** for "the/a week".

I've been enjoying charcoal lately with a Weber Performer. It's like the analog of grilling.

This time I decided to try a combination of searing and intermittent high heat sessions combined with indirect heat. This was with the baskets off to the side. Kinda tough, room wise, with six pieces of butterflied chicken, which I do for faster, more even cooking.

This is the first time I've tried this.
I am not a genius with the coals.

If you don't hear from me for a couple of days, I've probably been laid up with it shooting out both ends, never to eat yardbird again.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• msg
    Options
    ha, breastesses is censored.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    Well, there you go, then... :) Archie Bunker encouraged his TV family to call them chicken chests back in the early '70s. :#

Indirect heat on a classic Weber kettle grille is a great way to roast meats. We usually "smoke a [small] turkey" once a year on the grille, with some wood chunks up on the grille to add some... yes... smoke.

20636068643_697262e382_b.jpg

I usually put some beer or cider (or whatever's handy and interesting) in the drippings pan, adding a little water now and again to keep things from carbonizing in there -- the drippings are usually good for something at the end of the process.

Not sure if this is helpful or even on topic, but I am definitely a fan of indirect heat for some applications. :)

• msg
    Options
    Nice! How long does that take?
    What kind of heat for a small turkey?
    Do you just keep adding coals?
    Presuming you keep the lid on?

The stuff I did tonight turned out pretty well.
    It did start to head toward the drier side, even though it wasn't up to temp with the digital meat thermometer. Not sure what that means. Probably due to the intermittent sessions over heat?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    Mist it with something next time Scott.
    Bourbon, everclear.... gasoline if you're a real man
    😛
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options
    We just did a 13lb prime rib for Christmas dinner - best way to cook a prime rib, IMHO…;-)

9zna5f0u915g.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Salivating....
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    We just did a 13lb prime rib for Christmas dinner - best way to cook a prime rib, IMHO…;-)

9zna5f0u915g.jpeg

Do you have a picture of the finished product? :)
  • daddyjt
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »

9zna5f0u915g.jpeg

Do you have a picture of the finished product? :)

Unfortunately no - when the big meals come together it’s pretty hectic, plus everyone was hungry;-)

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mhardy6647
    Options
    msg wrote: »

It did start to head toward the drier side, even though it wasn't up to temp with the digital meat thermometer. Not sure what that means. Probably due to the intermittent sessions over heat?

I almost posted all of that info! :)
    Yes, you keep it covered.
    Check the charcoal every half-hour, and add as needed.
    Here's what Weber said when our big grille was new (early 1990s).

21260479182_010eac90a2_b.jpg

21084105919_e09a43d2e8_b.jpg

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Mist it with something next time Scott.
    Bourbon, everclear.... gasoline if you're a real man
    😛
    [emphasis added]

That Cajun blackened thing is quite popular. B)

My postdoc advisor used to start his charcoal fires with acetone. :) Got the charcoal goin' very quickly, and no residue.
    I do like using a chimney to start charcoal fires nowadays (but, of course, I don't have easy access to large amounts of cheap acetone any more).
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I’ve really enjoyed this guy’s channel for the past year or more. Followed his brisket for beginners video this past year to smoke my first brisket. Always been intimidated by a brisket, but with his help, it turned out excellent. He simplifies everything pretty well and doesn’t get crazy with the prep like a lot of the YT guys seem to.

But, since we’re talkin’ chicken …

https://youtu.be/rHHZHJPLv5c
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • daddyjt
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

21260479182_010eac90a2_b.jpg

21084105919_e09a43d2e8_b.jpg

I have the same Weber booklet, lol. Came with one of my kettles many years ago - I can’t tell you how many times I’ve referenced that thing!

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mhardy6647
    Options
    ditto.
    Yes, as mentioned above, using the same method to roast a whole chicken* is very good - and very easy - too! :)

Options

I have the same Weber booklet, lol. Came with one of my kettles many years ago - I can’t tell you how many times I’ve referenced that thing!

@daddyjt - Is this what you used for your Prime Rib? The Weber reference?

@mhardy6647 - thanks for posting the inskrukshins, Doc!

@pitdogg2 - misting it? seriously? like with water in a spray bottle?

Just looking over at my bookshelf full of unread book decoration-y things - I have a BBQ Bible and some other grilling book. guess I could take a look through them. and also the world wide web.

I didn't even think to put in the drip pan and fill it with anything for moisture, or whether that's even necessary.

The chicken turned out okay for my first time trying this. it's fun. I like being outside, grilling, fire, tunes. as long as I'm dressed for the cold.
    4wrm560nl7gf.png

I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2022
    Options
    If one is supremely lazy* and one wants to grille some chicken.
    Get some chicken pieces of one's choice (we usually do skinless, boneless chests, but those are a little on the sensible side) and marinate them for a little while (an hour or two; don't overdo it) in some of this stuff, then grille it (the regular way, right over the coals). Easy as FC UK heck and tasty.

imbdobw2vmyq.png

https://buffaloinabox.com/products/chiavettas-barbeque-marinade-64-oz-plastic

I usually just buy it from Amazon.
    I guess it might be a little hard to get right this minute? :#

edited December 2022
    Options

@daddyjt - Is this what you used for your Prime Rib? The Weber reference?

@mhardy6647 - thanks for posting the inskrukshins, Doc!

@pitdogg2 - misting it? seriously? like with water in a spray bottle?

Just looking over at my bookshelf full of unread book decoration-y things - I have a BBQ Bible and some other grilling book. guess I could take a look through them. and also the world wide web.

I didn't even think to put in the drip pan and fill it with anything for moisture, or whether that's even necessary.

The chicken turned out okay for my first time trying this. it's fun. I like being outside, grilling, fire, tunes. as long as I'm dressed for the cold.
    4wrm560nl7gf.png

Yes, initially - I’ve done so many now that it doesn’t require consulting the book. I still break it our for odd-ball grilling like fish or kabobs.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• msg
    Options
    Cool tips here, thanks guys!

I really like using Jane's Crazy Sweet Lime Pepper on chicken and fish, but they had a manufacturing issue a while back where it got clumpy and sticky and wouldn't shake. It's been months since they've had stock.

Free of my brother, Gluten, too.
    1e8fa83mxq4w.png

I disabled signatures.
  • daddyjt
    Options
    These are the seasonings I use most…

furt26jqwb7h.jpeg
    7esv693ixuu2.jpeg

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• msg
    Options
    Get some chicken pieces of one's choice (we usually do skinless, boneless chests, but those are a little on the sensible side) and marinate them for a little while (an hour or two; don't overdo it) in some of this stuff, then grille it (the regular way, right over the coals). Easy as FC UK heck and tasty.

imbdobw2vmyq.png

Mark what happens if you marinade too long? Does it toughen the meat or something? I remember in our youth, we'd brag about marinading overnight thinking it was going to make for some ultra-tender, magically flavorful, infallible grilling. It did not. I don't remember the specific outcomes, only that it was not particularly memorable, nor as es'pected.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options

imbdobw2vmyq.png

Mark what happens if you marinade too long? Does it toughen the meat or something? I remember in our youth, we'd brag about marinading overnight thinking it was going to make for some ultra-tender, magically flavorful, infallible grilling. It did not. I don't remember the specific outcomes, only that it was not particularly memorable, nor as es'pected.
    I don't know about that, but it's a strong flavor and if you go half a day or so, the chicken just kind of tastes like the marinade. Which is not entirely a bad thing, but I guess you could switch to Styrofoam from the chicken & save some calories. B)

• toucanet
    toucanet Posts: 580
    Options
    If you want more seasoning options, check out www.dizzypig.com. They have multiple options based on the protein to be smoked/grilled/etc.

Also, for chicken, I recommend checking out Cookies Flavor Enhancer https://www.cookiesbbq.com/product/flavor-enhancer/

Good luck!
  • msg
    Options
    toucanet wrote: »
    If you want more seasoning options, check out www.dizzypig.com. They have multiple options based on the protein to be smoked/grilled/etc.

Also, for chicken, I recommend checking out Cookies Flavor Enhancer https://www.cookiesbbq.com/product/flavor-enhancer/

Good luck!

Good links!
    Dizzypig.com looks up for sale, but I found this? https://dizzypigbbq.com/product-category/seasoning-collections/
    I disabled signatures.
  • toucanet
    Options
    My bad. I forgot to add the "bbq" to the link.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    When it comes to dried herb mix kinds of seasoning, and (of course) FWIW -- we've become quite enamored of Penzeys.

https://www.penzeys.com/

• toucanet
    Options
    I hope the picture loads properly.

Here is a picture I took of a 10 pound bone-in rib roast. I used Dizzy Pig "Cow Lick" seasoning along with garlic, thyme, rosemary, and butter. I also used pecan wood chunks.

It came out very tasty!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^ looks wonderful! Here's an 'in post' version for those who are click-averse. ;)

ehez8g3lpkai.png

We had prime rib from the local coop (which has marvelous meats) for Christmas dinner and it was supoib. But we cooked it the ol' fashioned way, in the oven. :|

• toucanet
    Options
    Thanks for getting it to show. I need to learn that trick.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Yea I was serious Scott. You can mist with a multitude of things.

Watered down BBQ sauce
    Apple juice or other fruit juices.
    Beer
    I bought a New Glarus Cherry beer that was awful, way too sweet but watered down it makes a great mist for my 16hr pork shoulders.

Doc is right on with the marinades. You can do all kinds of stuff and like he said some too long and you just feel like you're drinking the marinade.
    Acidic marinades like say a pineapple/teriyaki can break down connective tissue and tenderize cuts of meat.

That is a whole other chapter of goodness.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Not to go all biochemist on youse guyses, but pineapple (and other bromeliads) contain a protease (bromelain) that hydrolyses protein (e.g., the collagen that can make meat tough). The acid also is a nonspecific hydrolytic agent, but the bromelain is part of the magic of pineapple and its kin. B)

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    My teriyaki smoked salmon marinade includes soy sauce, dark brown sugar, pineapple juice and ginger. I marinate it for 24 hours in a gallon Ziploc baggie in the fridge, stirring every couple hours. The pineapple can make it soft but smoking it firms it back up.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus