Shunyata Altaira - A completely new grounding system

Options
https://shunyata.com/altairaroadmap/

https://youtu.be/F7ON3Wo0EKo?t=1909

This is something completely different from other products. I will find out more about pricing but it may not be as expensive as you think. There are two different models and these are not for the faint of heart. You need to do your research and find out if one or both is for your system.

On the video, hopefully the link works, if not I will provide an alternative. Start at the 17 minute mark, if it doesn't already direct you there. This video explains what it is this does. The entire video is a tour of the Shunyata factory.

Get your learn on and enjoy.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,600
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Damn Bud would be all over this as this company was his favorite and he had so many of it's products.

Pretty informative, thanks Tom
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Reviewed in #334 (current issue) of the Absolute Sound and also on the cover. Indeed, not for the faint of heart!
  • newbie308
    Options
    Very interesting. It makes me think that I would benefit from following the machine grounding scheme that I used on my automation equipment. The one key point that is not mentioned is that pounding a ground rod in the dirt does not guarantee that you have a good ground. I had customers whose factory was built on a slab of red shale bedrock. They actually had to hire a well drllier to punch a hole through the bedrock and drive 30+ feet of rod in the ground before we actually had a ground. There are many methods of testing your earth ground, and if you are going to invest in anything like this Shunyata equipment, you should know that you actually have a good ground first.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,362
    Options
    Keep in mind, signal ground is completely different from equipment ground.

So far, even the heavy hitters with systems that cost more than Verb's house are offering stellar reviews of this. Even if they have all of Shunyata's latest and greatest power conditioners...

Re-read that last sentence and let that sink in for a minute.

The Venom ground cables are at about $250 a pop, while the Omega ground cables run around $800 a pop. The signal ground unit is around 2K.

Depending on how complex your system is and how many pieces of gear you have? This will affect the end result for cost.

For those who have spent buuku $$$ on extracting the most out of a system? This is chump change (comparatively speaking).

I know many on this forum may think otherwise but not when you consider this not just a passing phase that will be rendered obsolete in a few years. This is a one and done, unless you get more gear or need a different connection because you changed gear.

Each system is different, each result is different but this is something that many of you may want to keep your eye on moving forward.

I will post more, as more about this is brought to my attention.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    Very interesting. It makes me think that I would benefit from following the machine grounding scheme that I used on my automation equipment. The one key point that is not mentioned is that pounding a ground rod in the dirt does not guarantee that you have a good ground. I had customers whose factory was built on a slab of red shale bedrock. They actually had to hire a well drllier to punch a hole through the bedrock and drive 30+ feet of rod in the ground before we actually had a ground. There are many methods of testing your earth ground, and if you are going to invest in anything like this Shunyata equipment, you should know that you actually have a good ground first.

During to Texas and California droughts the earth is too dry for the ground rod to work correctly. Some went so far as to drive a oil drilling casing so the could get down far enough to earth that had constant moisture. If I remember right they filled that with bentonite and whatever else they use when they're drilling for oil so to hold moisture and conductivity.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,616
    Options
    I got a grounding rod for ya right here!!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,616
    Options
    Nice cable risers!
    svrao114yley.png
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Looks like a wheel line for irrigation.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2022
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    Looks like a wheel line for irrigation.

It never falls over or gets knocked down !
  • treitz3
    Options
    I still haven't found where to get those cable risers (the markup on those has got to be ridiculous!). It looks like they would be easy to print out on a 3D printer (Hint, hint, Trey B) )

I was able to find some solid prices on Music Direct. (See below)

jdbkntbl87k6.png

The total cost of the Altaira, of course, depends on the amount of gear you have. BTW, Bud was aware of it (as was I) some time ago. I'm fairly confident that if he was still 100%, he would be getting this hooked up in his system. I will be getting my ears on a system within a month or so to see/hear exactly what this thing does.....but as you can tell.....my interest is definitely there.

Tom
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Speaking of bud
    Where is he?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • treitz3
    Options
    Joey, he is still with us but unfortunately, is currently still in ill health/recovery. At this point, we are hopeful that he will return but that isn't looking likely. He's has family looking after him and he is in the process of recovery. This may be a long road for him.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    This is a good interview to watch, when you have the time.

https://youtu.be/TAtooHfqQl8

Tom