Tipping - WTH?

Options
2»

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    The worst is at a stadium concession stand. I’ve been to a couple that only take credit card and when you swipe the card it asks how much tip you want to leave. I just left my seat at the game to get an $8 beer and you want a tip?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    edited December 2022
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    The worst is at a stadium concession stand. I’ve been to a couple that only take credit card and when you swipe the card it asks how much tip you want to leave. I just left my seat at the game to get an $8 beer and you want a tip?

Wow! An 8 dollar beer is a bargain in SoCal. Try 15 dollars for a domestic and 17 for an import such as Stella or Pacifico out here. :#
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2022
    Options
    The tip feature is built in to most, if not all, point of sale systems. Kind of like power windows is now standard equipment in cars.....and the MAIN reason? If you ad a tip to your card.....the card processor gets a percentage of that transaction as well. We are talking billions of extra money for the credit card processors.

I do agree that tipping is out of control......but on the other side of it, customers have also gotten out of control. From the customer perspective the line between “server” and “servant” is nonexistent and the vast majority of restaurants are understaffed and under supplied through no fault of their own....yet customers, who expect empathy for the same problems in their occupation, don’t seem to find that same empathy.

Also, pay structure (tipping) for servers (instead of being paid straight hourly) isn’t the fault of restaurant owners. This is how the system works and has for generations......plus, it benefits the servers. Every once in awhile, we’ll have some well meaning folks decide that they will open a restaurant where they pay servers an hourly wage for well intentioned reasons.....and it NEVER works. The severs hate it because they make less, the restaurant doesn’t survive because they can’t hack the labor cost which leads to price increases to cover the labor....and it all goes south. I’ve seen it a number of ways......

And remember, when you evaluate if your server deserves a tip....remember a lot of things are not in their control. Being short staffed sucks and it’s not the fault of the server that showed up. It’s a stressful job and people do have bad days......so just keep it in mind....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    I hear all that, Troy, and agree.
    Anyone who's ever spent any time working in customer service can easily understand these perspectives.
    Bottom line for me is common courtesy, across the board. There really shouldn't be any hierarchy here. It's not like it's nobles and servants.

I'm reminded of this time I went out with this girl once. I always talk to and joke with the staff in restaurants. When our waiter stepped away, she looked miffed, almost disgusted. She said, "Something-something, they're here to serve us." Last time I went out with that girl.

Also - insightful on the card processor.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    I knew about the card processing, I'll only tip cash, big government doesn't need to know what these tips are!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options
    Oddly, my standards for service are not exceedingly high. Above all, I expect a nice, happy demeanor. There is no excuse for poor attitude - from grumpy to snarky to down right argumentative - as an adult, you are required to moderate your attitude. I completely understand that the person serving me in a restaurant is merely the tip of the spear that is made up of cooks, food preppers, management, supply chains and so forth. I will forgive A LOT, as long as there is a clear effort to make it right. In fact, some of the largest tips I've left are for what many would consider a horrible dining experience, but I chose to reward the effort of the server. In one case, I asked for the manager to ensure that my server received my full gratuity, and that it did not go into "the pool", as no one else in the restaurant that evening earned it.

The other side of this entire discussion is the fact that the younger generations are not very good tippers. I know there are exceptions, but generally the "me" generation(s) tip poorly - even when the service is deserving of a good tip.

I learned from my grandfather at a very young age that tipping is kind of a "classy" thing, and how you tip says a lot about your manners and your overall respect for people that are serving you.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Agree Mark. I've had horrible dining experience yet the server saved the day to an extent. Clearly made the I'll never be back change to I'll give it another try another day.