Tipping - WTH?

Options
Is it just me, or are we expected to tip virtually everyone that shows up to work and does a job anymore? I've been noticing this trend since the Covid lockdowns, and it seems to be getting more pervasive by the day.

I have always been a generous tipper (~20%) IF the service warrants it. -IF-. Traditionally, you go to a restaurant and a waiter/waitress serves you - they take your order, deliver it to your table, attend to your needs, and take your payment. At the conclusion of your dining experience, you evaluate the quality of the service, and tip accordingly - as a "Thank You" for exceptional service. Same thing at a bar.

NOW, you go in to a sub shop, order your sandwich at the counter, and slide your card into an Ipad and a screen pops up asking for the tip amount - usually a choice between 10%, 15%, 20% and 25%. I have a couple problems with this. First, tipping BEFORE the service and/or food is given defeats the entire purpose of tipping in the first place. There is no incentive for the staff to strive to offer you exceptional service if they have the tip up front. This leads to the second problem - If you (subjectively) under-tip, there is a legitimate fear that you will receive sub standard (or even malicious) service and/or food.

In just the past couple weeks, I have been solicited for tips at the afor mentioned sub shop, while picking up a to-go pizza, at a car wash, picking up dry-cleaning, and at a bagel shop picking up half a dozen bagels.

Is it just me, or is this trend getting out of control?
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options
    Out of control as far as I'm concerned.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,381
    Options
    Some blame goes on the employer. I've lived in countries where people who work in service establishments are paid enough by their employer to live on and tips are not accepted. The expectation is the employees who provide services are professionals and will provide the level of service the employer is paying for or customers won't go there anymore.

I do agree the tip "policy" in the US is way out of hand.

Elsewhere, I've had waiters chase me down the street before to give me money back if I forgot about the local custom.

:)
  • rebelsoul
    Options
    I went to steak and shake inside had to order from a screen , then had to go to the counter to pick up my food . On the screen while ordering they wanted a tip . I declined. You want a tip come to my table take order and bring my food and I'll give a tip.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    Options
    Out of control.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Ya, I always decline. Asinine IMHO.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,112
    Options
    Everyone deserves a tip. Everyone. Fellow walking down the street walking above averagely? Tip that dude

Way out of control
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    Decline decline decline
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I like it when they actually ask me if I would like to leave a tip. I always say "Yes. Plant your corn early next year."

You have to be from Iowa to get that one...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,507
    Options
    Absolutely out of control. I've started being more selective, as well. Same with everyone asking for donations.
    In fact, please contribute to my GoFundMe for being on this site and agreeing with you all on this thread.

@daddyjt - if you're talking about Jersey Mikes, those guys can suck it. They've messed up the last 4 of 5 pickup orders we've made. Like most here, we always tip well, even on pickup orders. One time they got the sandwich guts and bread mixed up. How do you eff up a small sandwich order at step 2? Don't get me started on the times they forgot the bacon. How the hell do you forget bacon? NO ONE forgets bacon.
    I disabled signatures.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,347
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    ...if you're talking about Jersey Mikes...

You guessed it... They got the order right, but their prices are quite high for a sandwich. I probably will not be back there. My favorite sub shop was a local outfit, but they folded in the Covid craziness. I need to find another mom & pop shop...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• msg
    Options
    That's too bad. Yeah, JM's is pretty pricey, especially if you get any extras. Kinda like 5 Guys.

That's too bad about the local shop. Hate that that happened to a lot of mom & pop places.
    I disabled signatures.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    LOL they have frickin tip jars at the registers at the med weed stores here LOL no one tipped me back in the day......thankfully my GSD keeps the pan handlers far away from the Jeep as the cold weather up North brings the homeless in groves along with the gypsies who are a whole nuther creature :)

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    its as bad as stores using the customers as cashiers and not paying them called it self check out lol
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,347
    Options
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    its as bad as stores using the customers as cashiers and not paying them called it self check out lol

And then having the nerve to check your receipt on the way out the door - just to validate that you are doing their job correctly for them...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• rebelsoul
    Options
    They did that to the Walmart by me only 2 cashier's and ones always closed . Lady behind me said she doesn't scan two of the best steaks every week .your going to pay me to bag up $300 of groceries. I laughed. Then she said if they catch me I'll act dumb I heard it beep. You want me to be a cashier and no training. I laughed again
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,707
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I like it when they actually ask me if I would like to leave a tip. I always say "Yes. Plant your corn early next year."

You have to be from Iowa to get that one...

Jed Clampett said that on an episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies" when these investors were under the impression that Jed was a financial mastermind and asked him for stock tips. :D
  • msg
    Options
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    They did that to the Walmart by me only 2 cashier's and ones always closed . Lady behind me said she doesn't scan two of the best steaks every week .your going to pay me to bag up $300 of groceries. I laughed. Then she said if they catch me I'll act dumb I heard it beep. You want me to be a cashier and no training. I laughed again

I just read an article about this. Supposedly Walmart is the most strict with shoplifting, and tries to fully prosecute everyone, regardless of item cost or circumstance. Even for "honest mistakes", like lack of attention for being on the phone and distracted with kids.

We're all paying for it eventually. Good luck lady, you're on your way to winning some sweet chrome bracelets!
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    They started asking for tips at Panera Bread at least 3 years ago (pre-covid). Total turn-off and I quit going. I have to stand in line to order, stand in line to get my own drink and then wait for the buzzer to go off to get up and get my food and you’re asking me for a tip?!? No thanks.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    Options
    This is simple. Don't be guilt tripped into thinking that a tip is mandatory, just because it shows up prior to getting your food/service. If you feel a tip is warranted? Then tip.

That is up to your discretion and not up to anyone else. BTW, I tip well (when warranted).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,381
    Options
    I used to always tip the pizza delivery driver 20 percent because that's how the industry works, but I stopped ordering pizza altogether last year when it turned into $4.99 for delivery plus a service charge plus a tip plus tax. Turned what was a pre-pandemic $18 order into a $30+ order. I suppose I could go pick the pizza up myself and give myself the tip.

:D
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=a9nr_T2OWrM&feature=share

On another note, If I’m doing pick-up, no tip.

Tips are for dine-in full-service. I already paid with gas, wear and tear on my vehicle, and time.

If anything I’ll tip myself with audio gear. 😜
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,529
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Are the workhouses closed? The shelters?
    My tip is to get a better job!
    ahahahahahah!!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,707
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    If I see cleavage, I tip

:o

w7kroygqcpm9.jpg
  • msg
    Options
    If I see cleavage, I tip

Just what kind of service are we talking about here, anyway? Don't answer that Hugh Grant!
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I used to always tip the pizza delivery driver 20 percent because that's how the industry works, but I stopped ordering pizza altogether last year when it turned into $4.99 for delivery plus a service charge plus a tip plus tax. Turned what was a pre-pandemic $18 order into a $30+ order. I suppose I could go pick the pizza up myself and give myself the tip.

:D

Speaking of pizza delivery personal, I ordered a pizza last week. First time in a long time. So my total was $31, I gave the guy a $50 bill. He gave my pizza and started to just walk away, I said umm do I get my change? The person asked me how much do you want back! I looked at them like they just grew a 3rd eye, I stated forcefully ALL OF IT! What a putz! I was done talking, I took my pizza and change inside. I had planned on tipping BUT YOU DON'T JUST DECIDE TO JUST TAKE MY MONEY. Did they think that delivering my pizza in the pizza companies car earned them almost $20 to deliver my pizza? No EFGIN way!! That's right this particular pizza place still provides cars AND gas to deliver their pizzas. Most do not these days so the delivery persons arrogance was out of bounds.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    Options
    Sit down restaurant served tip is given, regardless of service however size of tip matches the service given. Fast food places no tip.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,095
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Speaking of pizza delivery personal, I ordered a pizza last week. First time in a long time. So my total was $31, I gave the guy a $50 bill. He gave my pizza and started to just walk away, I said umm do I get my change? The person asked me how much do you want back! I looked at them like they just grew a 3rd eye, I stated forcefully ALL OF IT! What a putz! I was done talking, I took my pizza and change inside. I had planned on tipping BUT YOU DON'T JUST DECIDE TO JUST TAKE MY MONEY. Did they think that delivering my pizza in the pizza companies car earned them almost $20 to deliver my pizza? No EFGIN way!! That's right this particular pizza place still provides cars AND gas to deliver their pizzas. Most do not these days so the delivery persons arrogance was out of bounds.

Entitlement . . . Everyone gets a trophy mentality
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    If I see cleavage, I tip

:o

w7kroygqcpm9.jpg

Must be San Francisco, because here in Texas, we refer to that as plumbers crack…cure for that is a cup of ice cold water and that shat will disappear and straighten you right up
    Don’t ask how I know

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a