Replacing RT8 components

Hey all,
From the research I've done on this forum about RT8s, they're not considered anything special, but I'm looking to replace the components in my parent's pair of these floor speakers. They've had em for years, and the past year or so I've noticed distortion when played even at low levels.

Most of the threads around RT8s are rather old, so I was just hoping to get some feedback on what model components today, would best replace both the SL5001 and MW7009?

Thanks for your time.

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Before you go trying to replace the tweeter and driver you need to figure exactly what the cause of the distortion is as it may have anything to due with either of those.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    If they have been in place for a long time, start by unhooking and inspecting all wires from the speaker to the interconnects from components. Sometimes you'll find a bad wire or the unhooking and re-hooking up will remove some oxidation on the rca jacks to get a better signal flow. Inspection of the speaker wire (if it has a clear jacket) you may see green oxidation on the wire inside the jacket. You may see it at the binding posts if using bare wire and need to trim back the wire to get to clean copper. Lastly it could be the component itself or a loose RCA jack on one of the components causing the issue.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2022
    My post should read, "as it may not have anything to do with either of those."

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I did try cleaning the connection points, rotating the speaker 180 degrees (as i read in another thread), but the distortion persists on both the speaker and tweeter.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2022
    Unless the speakers were abused by overdriving the power source there's no reason for the tweeters and drivers to go bad. The problem is elsewhere, possibly the crossover capacitors failing.

Another possibility is the power source since the distortion is in both speakers. Can you try a different power source?

Speaking of power source, what is it?
    What is the source for music?

President of Club Polk

• I don't believe the speakers were abused, my parents didn't turn it up too high (maybe they did when they're hearing started to deteriorate, lol). they're connected to a stereo receiver (onkyo or sony, I can't remember), don't recall the specs. Not in the area to go look at it at the moment lol. appreciate the feedback!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Strange things can happen to receivers/amps as the years pass, even if they were never abused or driven hard. Output transistors can **** the bed or electrolytic capacitors start leaking and then you have weird things happen like one channel is lower in volume than the other, or there is distortion like what you describe.

Some troubleshooting needs to happen first like trying a different receiver/amplifier so that it can be ruled out, before you start surgery on the speakers themselves.
  • Thanks, will do, I do have another HU I can test with that is sitting in storage as well next time I'm up there.