B&K Ref 30 help?

I am attempting to use a B&K Reference 30 unit again Not totally sold on the Rogue CM so comparing again . In the past it was fairly easy to select the STEREO mode and select 8 for Direct no processing on the Ref 30 because I only had two speakers. I now have a pair of Mag 1.6qr units and a sub.

As far as I can tell from the massive manual if I select 8 for Direct there is no output to the sub. See picture. The light on the front panel shows ANALOG as it should and speakers get the signal but NOT the sub. .

If I select 2 which now sends the signal to the speakers AND the sub which is good except for one thing. ANALOG is still lit but so is 94/26 above it Does that mean it is processing?? or just thinking about it? I DO NOT want processing.

FYI If I change the mode from Stereo to THX the speakers and the sub get a signal and only ANALOG is lit.

I want the speakers and the sub working but NO processing. What am I missing here?

165e276grs9j.jpg

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Why wouldn't you select #2 Keith? Looks like what you need
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Using THX may bypass processing since processing should be done by the source (DVD player)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    From my vantage point I see select #2 stereo has the same speakers selection with the added sub. I guess since it is not "direct analog" there should be minimal processing with the exception of sending signal to the sub below a certain frequency. It makes sense to me that if THX is lit then it would be sending frequencies 80hz and below to the sub. If your speakers are still capable below 80hz then some where in the menu you should be able to adjust to the desired low frequency below 80hz say 60hz or 40 hz. I'm not positive how the processor menu is set up so l'm guessing from past experiences with other gear I've had.
    Other than that I'm not sure.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    @geppy1

I’m using B&K Ref 50 in my 2-channel rig running full-range Stereo mode.

Set-up took me some serious effort, but I would recommend familiarize yourself with the manual.

I can’t remember all the settings, and honestly, am afraid to tinker and screw something up. But I was able to experiment with 2-channel with and w/o a sub. I think had to use music mode, turned off surround channels (except sub), to be able to still get a signal to a sub.

I don’t think Direct will allow you to run the sub, if memory serves on my pre. I also remember using the sub crossover settings on the pre, as opposed to using the subs built-in crossover.

I’m afraid B&K wasn’t the most intuitive for accomplishing set-up of 2.1 or 2.2 arrangements.

In my room with my speakers, I ended up preferring no sub b/c the sonic balance was better without it (atypical, for my usual preferences).

But yeah, it is some time commitment getting it set-up that way.

YMMV, and good luck.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    @geppy1

Go to System Setup:

> Setup Speakers = to adjust speaker parameters (i.e. size, location, levels, x-overs & LFE)

> Setup Inputs = to adjust mode (i.e. stereo/surround/thx/mono); how many speakers you want to receive signal (2), surround music, level

It really is a PITA(!), but end result when you select CD should be “ CD STEREO 2” on the display once you get it dialed in.

I have to go in/out of system set-up menu multiple times to adjust the different parameters and follow the different pathways mentioned above, but it is possible, with patience.

If you have a notch filter option, just leave whatever frequency (Hz) appears, then set the dB to 0.0 (notch only occurs if you go above or below 0.0), you can then trust the crossover settings you choose for LFE. You may need a y-splitter if running dual subs.

Hope this helps.

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    I believe the Ref 30 is likely the same as the Ref 50 in the sense that you will still get ADA processing.

Don't quote me 100%, but I want to say I dealt with that with my Ref 50. The sound was excellent, but I had a conversation with B&K before they shut the doors for good about this.

Even with Direct mode and 2Ch set, there was no real "Direct" mode....the analog input went through ADA processing.

Again, double check that but that's one reason why I went to the McCormack RLD-1.
  • jbreezy5
    gmcman wrote: »
    I believe the Ref 30 is likely the same as the Ref 50 in the sense that you will still get ADA processing.

Don't quote me 100%, but I want to say I dealt with that with my Ref 50. The sound was excellent, but I had a conversation with B&K before they shut the doors for good about this.

Even with Direct mode and 2Ch set, there was no real "Direct" mode....the analog input went through ADA processing.

Again, double check that but that's one reason why I went to the McCormack RLD-1.

If that is the case (ADA processing still occurs), I concur the sound is still excellent as you said.

Makes sense to seek a 2-channel upgrade path for preamp duties.

Thanks!

• geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    Yes 2 would make sense but the 24/96 indicator lights up They make it clear 8 is Direct NO processing at all as the 24/96 does not light up HOWEVER no sub output. .
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Using THX may bypass processing since processing should be done by the source (DVD player)

Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    geppy1 wrote: »
    Yes 2 would make sense but the 24/96 indicator lights up They make it clear 8 is Direct NO processing at all as the 24/96 does not light up HOWEVER no sub output. .

Put a piece of black electrical tape over the light walla gone no more processing. 😆
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    These are fun units, but it really helps to have the URC built B&K remote and BKSuite Software and a laptop or computer to get into all of the programming options more easily. You guys aren't set up for that by chance, are you? Not 100% that it would offer the ability to turn off the processing, though.

That's interesting information @gmcman mentioned above. I was not aware of that myself re: the ADA mode. Not sure I'd be able to tell the difference, myself, but good to know.

For the Reference 30, in the Input Modes section of the programming UI, there are options for Two Speakers, Three Speakers (req'd for sub? unsure), or Two Speakers Direct.

It may also be required that having the sub output enabled switches the system into a Surround mode, which, as @pitdogg2 mentions, should be minimal processing. That said, I'm pretty sure I was able to run my AVR 507 in Stereo mode with sub, but vaguely recall seeing 24/96 as well. I'd have to set it all up again to see if the sub was active with Stereo Direct.

Does your sub happen to have high/speaker-level inputs? If so, you could just put the Ref30 in Direct, go speaker cables to your sub?

Barring any of those options, one other thing does come to mind though, the EQ selection. If possible, Keith, when you're in 2.1, see if you can get into the EQ section of the setup, and make sure it's set to Off. Does that make any difference?

B&K cSuite
    5329tn55y3vt.png

I disabled signatures.
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    Thanks I will check I like the put tape over it. Funny.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited November 2022
    geppy1 wrote: »
    Thanks I will check I like the put tape over it. Funny.

if your sub has speaker level inputs and a built in crossover that's the easier answer...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • audioluvr
    Keith. Was this ever resolved?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I own a Ref 30 and haven't touched it in years. I also haven't used B&K Suite as it's very helpful on setup.

Where are you at with this? I might have to dust it off, connect it up with 2 speakers and a sub and test / setup / calibrate. It's been so long. The Ref 30 is incredible. ml4occnsibmm.jpeg
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.