decato Mod 15TL Crossover Capacitor Values and Brands

Been scouring the various threads but still a little confused. I think the latest configuration for the capacitor values is a 12 uF, 10 uF and 13.5 uF, correct?

Then, what brand or brands should I be thinking about? I see Sonicap, Solen, Mundorf and maybe one or two other brands mentioned. If there’s not a consensus, which there didn’t appear to be, can anyone describe the sonic differences between the various brands?

I know I’m asking stuff that’s been talked about for the past 15 years, but just trying to make the right decisions on things if I end up going the route of doing the mods myself and the threads are a bit scattered about at this point.
Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    I wouldn't use Solen anywhere but a low pass.

Sonicaps and Clarity are both very good, tried and true.
    Jentzen are also respected.

https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html?adlt=strict

I will say that Sonicap has all the exact values you should need.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,680
    Budget-wise, the Clarity PX sound very detailed and balanced.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Sonicap will have all the values exact. Clarity PX and CSA will have the 10uf an12uf, but you'll have to parallel two 6.8ufs for the 13.5uf
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,580
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Ran across a 1-year old, or so, thread from WMG and looked like that’s what he was using, at least at that time. So, figured I couldn’t go wrong with those. lol Probably helps a lot with the packaging not having to do two for the 13.5 uF.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • decato
    decato Posts: 185
    I still have the RTA 15TL I modified back in early 2007. I haven't changed anything. In some other Polks that I modified, I started using a single Vishay MKP 1837 0.01uF in parallel with the main capacitor in the tweeter circuit. It works well with Solens. It's worth a try before spending a lot of money on more expensive capacitors. If you don't like it, you didn't lose much and you can keep the extra components for other projects requiring experimentation.
  • bcwsrt
    Appreciate all the responses. I'm a massive rookie to this type of thing and hoping to be one and done upgrading my original owner 15TLs. So, I like the simplification that the Sonicaps in all the correct values would provide.

Along those lines, am I going to get, let's say, 80%, of the benefit of this mod doing the capacitors, only, or am I leaving too much on the table not doing the inductors and resistors at the same time? Maybe I'm making it out to be more than it is, but in my mind replacing 3 parts is less daunting than 7, plus then having to think about maybe removing some hot glued-on inductors, figuring out how to re-package everything, etc. on top of it. I see some gorgeous work in these threads, just not confident in my own ability to pull something similar off.

As a follow-up to that, if I was to do only the capacitors, would sticking with the original values be the better way to go or would the 12/10 and 13.5 uFs still be the way to go?

Brian

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    Do the caps and resistors. Resistors are cheap and can be bought at the same place as the caps.
    Vishay-mills 10 or 12 watts are your huckleberry. Yes there are others you could use but simple and done the benefits will be huge.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    If you're not going to change the inductors, then stick with the original capacitor values, otherwise you'll muck everything up.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • bcwsrt
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Very cool link!
    Brian