and in today's most interesting loudspeaker designer news...

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I like the design. At least they secured the woofer with more than 4 fasteners.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    They can apparently be placed on their sides too without performance loss. Three could make an interesting LCR setup for a home theater system in that configuration
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Vandersteen also has a concentric speaker design.

I like the increasing competition on this type of design.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Just watched the Steve Guttenberg review of the SourcePoint 10. He was pretty impressed. Some different and interesting musical selections, all of which I found on Qobuz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNKrgNTDeck
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Just watched the Steve Guttenberg review of the SourcePoint 10. He was pretty impressed. Some different and interesting musical selections, all of which I found on Qobuz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNKrgNTDeck

I’m gonna have to suspend judgment, but The Audiophiliac, leaves the impression that Andrew Jones’ Elac iterations were warmer sounding, and the Mofi is less tolerant of recordings.

If that proves true, then epic fail.

IMO, Elac are not warm-sounding speakers, and to design paper/silk transducers to be unforgiving is a poor design choice. 😒

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited November 2022
    More clarity usually means less tolerant of *poor* recordings. The concentric motor design goes to great efforts to eliminate some non linearities and the large paper cone was designed to avoid breakup and also at the same time serve as an efficient waveguide for the tweeter, helped out by the accordion low profile surround.

I read the whitepaper this morning:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://static1.squarespace.com/static/593ed9b6d2b857c8eaf78246/t/636ce839a3768c026fad290a/1668081722745/SourcePoint+10+White+Paper+11-10-22.pdf
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Vandersteen also has a concentric speaker design.

I like the increasing competition on this type of design.

I'm a fan.

25446819716_8eb219ca35_b.jpg

49624843172_84f56ffc4c_b.jpg

14505793502_5c92b580bb_c.jpg

12277892366_87d7f0c2c0_c.jpg

12277484263_a0f12f826b_c.jpg
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,493
    What is the downside to this design type may I ask?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited November 2022
    SIHAB wrote: »
    What is the downside to this design type may I ask?

Wider speakers *may* not image as well as narrow ones? But Steve Guttenberg (and especially Mrs. Audiophiliac) said the localization of instruments and the space around each of them was excellent.

He said the height and width and fullness of the soundstage didn't compare with his much more expensive open baffle example......forgetting the name.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Baffle edge diffraction effects are only one of the things that effect imaging. All things remaining equal, a larger baffle would tend to give greater time delay to the reflections at the edges. Outliers are just that, they show that the overall truth is more complicated than just one factor. This designer addressed the baffle edge diffractions by creating a faceted front baffle.

How would you answer sihab's question?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Nicely recorded demo of these speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU67rJ33eZw
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Emlyn
    The audience seems to be extremely impressed with these, especially at the price point. But they are telling him he should charge more. At the end they do say the speakers have a potential home theater application too.

What I'm hearing partly is the positive characteristics of a treated paper coned woofer. Nice!
  • The clarity is pretty off the charts. Probably has a lot to do with the diffraction fighting baffle and the tweeter waveguide but the coincident drive must have some things that were done right!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    How's it do on limp bizkit 😝
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • The concentric driver on these has oppositely polarized neodymium magnets so they have to be assembled pre-magnetized :#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SeT105kirY
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    edited November 2022
    Enjoyed "Walking on the Moon" Jazz cover.

Just want to know how to modify a Cerwin-Vega driver to accept a tweeter.😉
    Post edited by xschop on
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    VR3 wrote: »
    How's it do on limp bizkit 😝

🤢🤮
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • xschop wrote: »
    Enjoyed "Walking on the Moon" Jazz cover.

Just want to know how to modify a Cerwin-Vega driver to accept a tweeter.😉

Spade bit and a plentiful amount of cutting oil? What's the worst that could happen?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • SIHAB
    I seemed to have missed it. When will these be available?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    SIHAB wrote: »
    I seemed to have missed it. When will these be available?

Available now. In time for holiday giving!

https://www.mofielectronics.com/sourcepoint10
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    My semi local MoFi dealer will be getting a pair in one day, I've told him to give me call when they show up. I'd like to hear before hitting the BIN button ;)
  • SIHAB
    I'm about equidistant to two Mofi dealers, Toledo and Pittsburg.
    What was that Patton quote... when asked if he was faced with the Germans
    on one side and the Russians on the other he would attack in
    both directions. :)
  • Mike Reeter
    The Dealer is willing to let me bring in my Amp, cables, etc. for a demo. I haven't approached him about an in home trial yet :D
  • The Dealer is willing to let me bring in my Amp, cables, etc. for a demo. I haven't approached him about an in home trial yet :D

In Home is a must and I doubt they will disappoint! But that too depends on what you expect ! I’m betting you will love em! Great looking that’s for sure !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Emlyn
    I'd recommend potential buyers wait until their purpose built stands are available and there are some real owner reviews out there rather than compensated reviewers saying what they think after listening to them for a few minutes.

:)

Likely another six months for both of those things to coincide. Audio Advisor is currently expecting speakers available at the end of December.
  • Mike Reeter
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I'd recommend potential buyers wait until their purpose built stands are available and there are some real owner reviews out there rather than compensated reviewers saying what they think after listening to them for a few minutes.

:)

Likely another six months for both of those things to coincide. Audio Advisor is currently expecting speakers available at the end of December.

I'm not in any hurry to own a pair, would just like to hear them. Owner reviews will be a while yet for sure. The dealer I'm going to also carries Fyne Audio with a pair of F501 SP's in stock, the Concentric Drivers are something I've haven't experienced other than KEF and the Fynes.

• I heard Source Point 10's at the Capital Audio Fest where Andrew Jones debut them. He went into a lot of detail about how he arrived at this design and why he did certain things. I do not recall all the details to do it justice. The speakers sounded pretty good. Really hard to tell in the room and set up for listening. They sound very big an have good bass. I can't comment on imaging because the room was very crowded and I was off to the left side. I like concentric drivers and I think it is cool that he did a 10" driver because most of the modern concentric drivers are in the 5"-6.5" range and lack decent low end bass, talking about you LS50's. Way out of my price range and I like SDA's better anyway.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    My apologies for the thread interruption here, folks.

Good to hear from you again! B)

....and now back to our regular scheduled programming....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~