R700 just arrived - amp

Hello,

Just received R700. I connected them first to Marantz NR1403 AVR. They sounded excellent: open, dynamic, ...
Then change amp. I have Class-d amd with latest IcePower module 1200AS2, as a preamp I have my diy Pass Balanced Zen stage preamp. DAC is SMSL D-6. All line is balanced.
This is totally different dimension. This amp is 2x1200W at 4 ohm with minimum impedance of 2.7 Ohm.
This was now really high end sound.
Advice to all of you who have R700: feed these with proper power and you will be surprised. It is almost waste to connect them to AVR.

best regards

Comments

• Agreed. I’m using a Parasound 2250. Only a mere 400 @ 4 ohm. They drink it all up and love it.
  • edinm
    edinm Posts: 6
    Another advice, remove plates connecting HF and LF and use your speaker wire to connect binding posts. Stock plates influence and degrade sound. :)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edinm wrote: »
    I have Class-d amd with latest IcePower module 1200AS
    interesting. Which amp is this that you're using?
    I disabled signatures.
  • edinm
    edited November 2022
    I bought IcePower module. It is practically finished amp, just need power supply, audio in and speaker out.
    Then I build my DIY preamp in Class "A" based on Pass Balanced Zen line, using premium components.
    I putted all in nice case and make myself excellent amplifier.
    All is balanced topology.
    Class "A" preamp gives smoothness, refinement, delicacy. It makes already excellent Amp to be phenomenal.
    PS Audio Steller 1200 amps use same IcePower module but they are using tube input stage. I decided to use Class "A" preamp.
    This is combo made in heaven together with R700.
    I was DIY-er for 30 years, building dozens of speakers, amps, dacs, etc.
    Wanted end game system and that it is.

Regards
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited November 2022
    Have you tried different caps in place where you have the Solens? Like say Clarity CMR or Jantzen Superior Z-Caps. Just curious if they may bring more open warmer goodness.
    No disrespect, I find my ears do not like Solens. To me they bring a very piercing top end. Just wondering if at that position they would make any changes to the sound presentation.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited November 2022
    edinm wrote: »
    I bought IcePower module. It is practically finished amp, just need power supply, audio in and speaker out.
    Then I build my DIY preamp in Class "A" based on Pass Balanced Zen line, using premium components.
    I putted all in nice case and make myself excellent amplifier.
    All is balanced topology.
    Class "A" preamp gives smoothness, refinement, delicacy. It makes already excellent Amp to be phenomenal.
    PS Audio Steller 1200 amps use same IcePower module but they are using tube input stage. I decided to use Class "A" preamp.
    This is combo made in heaven together with R700.
    I was DIY-er for 30 years, building dozens of speakers, amps, dacs, etc.
    Wanted end game system and that it is.

Regards
    So.... what route did you go for the power supply? Linear or SMPS?
    DIY (scratch-built) or someone else's board, kit, or design? One is most curious. :)
    Dollar for dollar (or Euro for Euro... or whatever), the Class D boards do indeed make it easy to fabricate a very good amplifier for a very reasonable investment.

PS and FWIW, I agree with @pitdogg2 re: the Solens. They seem to bring an "edge" to things compared to some other capacitors I've used, at least in XO service. The price is right, though. Also FWIW, I have a similar impression of the Bennic (PartsExpress "Dayton") capacitors, too. :|

As an almost completely irrelevant aside, my Bottlehead Paramours (still) have Solen bypass caps in their parallel feed outputs, though, and they're right smooth sounding. They're basically the polar opposite of the above-mentioned PWM (Class D) amplifier design, though ;)

35012452392_88f03899cc_b.jpg

• edinm
    edited November 2022
    Hello,

Your amps look amazing :) Congratulations!
    I had IcePower 50 some years back and was aware of quality and practicality of these boards. Then 1200AS2 get my attention by incredible specifications. I pulled trigger and get one.
    After some listening I decided that buffer or preamp is needed to provide delicacy even board as is is very capable.
    I had already Pass B1 buffer but was not very happy with results and I wanted something balanced so decided to build and try Pass balanced zen stage.
    Used Pass project, draw PCB and professional company build PCB according to my drawing, then ordered and solder components.
    For power supply I used auxiliary supply from IcePower board intended to power up additional amp module. It was perfect +-60v.
    End result is, to my ears, excellent integrated amp, with loads of power and excellent sound quality.
    Together with Polks it is my dream and end game combo.
    I think this amp raised Polks to another level comparing to AVR.
    I am using them for 2ch stereo only and have another set for 4.1 with T+A German vintage speakers as front and Elac ELR115S rear speaker together with Nubert Sub.
    This 4.1 setup is powered by Marantz NR1403 and for me it sound amazing too.

Regarding capacitors, maybe there are better sounding options but I did not try them and will not at this point go back and change caps. For me this is finished project, nothing to complain, I am very satisfied with overall results.

Best regards
  • I’ve got mine hooked up with two schiit vidar running in mono capable of 400 watts 8ohms.