and in today's most interesting loudspeaker designer news...

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    There goes the neighborhood.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Does this mean I'm going to have to buy my SACD's all over again?
    😂
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    There's been an interview up for some time, let me find it.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall

• Nightfall

• mhardy6647
    edited April 2022
    Musk would also take MoFi's entier LP record album catalog, construct a huge jukebox server farm in the desert Southwest, and introduce streaming online vinyl to a grateful world.

>:)

(after all, designing loudspeakers isn't rocket science)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    That guy jumps speaker brands more than Billy Bob Thornton gets married
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Andrew Jones is a hack....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    What's the beef with the guy?

Me, while I get the search for more revenue streams.....I'd like to see MoFi focus on creating high quality source material. I will give them that they seem to be interested in creating/designing their own gear as opposed to just rebadging gear from other manufacturers
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited November 2022
    Andrew Jones' first speaker with MoFi has been released, the MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 10: https://www.mofielectronics.com/sourcepoint10

ohitanv55tfk.png
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    See https://darko.audio/ for an overview. These things are BIG standmounts.
  • Clipdat
    Yeah 46lb each. Yikes.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Andrew Jones' first speaker with MoFi has been released, the MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 10: https://www.mofielectronics.com/sourcepoint10

ohitanv55tfk.png

Would love to hear these.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    I may be alone, but I've yet to experience a speaker designed by him that does anything for me.... A camp shared by Dannie Ritchie no less haha

Speaker does look great though, I like the baffle
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    From first hand experience, the Elac Navis ARB-51s are legit.
  • Clipdat
    Too bad they didn't release any photos or details about the crossovers for these in all of the press materials.

I feel like if it's such a secret thing they must not be proud of what's inside there.
  • mhardy6647
    accordion surrounds... innerestin'.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Seems like they're simply crossed over at 1.6 kHz but I wouldn't be surprised if the crossovers are not at all extravagant but built to the price point.

Refreshing to see designers doing more than just slim towers in recent years. There's an unboxing video on Youtube now that clearly shows how big these are.
  • mhardy6647
    mmm -- they are not inexpensive.

m6fibzl1uyb8.png

Makes that R200 Signature model look pretty cost-effective! B)

• mhardy6647
    interesting porting strategy...

r7lk1d9n3zt1.png
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    they make L600' look like a steal.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2022
    Would not be surprised if the original MSRP was slated to be $3k or $3,499 but had to be increased mid-way through the production process.
  • Clipdat
    they make L600' look like a steal.

I agree with you John, especially on sale. And the L600 is just such a good looking speaker!
    afumtk4km7kh.png
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    accordion surrounds... innerestin'.

First word that comes to mind - Dynamics
    mmm -- they are not inexpensive.

m6fibzl1uyb8.png

Makes that R200 Signature model look pretty cost-effective! B)

But maybe a sweet-spot price-point compared to TAD?

R200 Sig are sensibly lower-priced being a more traditional 2-way design vs. concentric design. I like that Mofi is using paper and soft-dome drivers; theoretically, should result in nice tonal colors if integrated well at the crossover and good frequency response even if seated significantly off-axis.
    interesting porting strategy...

r7lk1d9n3zt1.png

Dual smaller ports may contribute to a smoother port roll-off above the mid-bass, and help prevent a later rise in dB from port resonance at midrange frequencies, compared to a large single port.

This can be seen when comparing measurements, for example, between AAD Reference silver-1 (dreadful port resonance), KEF Q350 (very bad port resonance), and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 in Stereophile [exemplary performance (?!)]

I loved the tweeter on the AAD when Ultimate Electronics carried them, but there was definitely a distracting “woolly” sound in the midbass/midrange regions.

The Kef also has a single large port and has a prominent rise up to about the 1kHz frequency due to port resonance.

It’s amazing how the super-budget Wharfedales measured significantly better than both more costly speakers in this regard.

Perhaps, the Mofi will benefit also?

The Mofi’s have 2” thick front baffle, and 1” top/side/bottom/rear panels on the cabinet and should be stout.

Guess I’m caught up in the hype on this one. 😜
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Nightfall
    So many speakers so little money and time

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    VR3 wrote: »
    I may be alone, but I've yet to experience a speaker designed by him that does anything for me.... A camp shared by Dannie Ritchie no less haha

Speaker does look great though, I like the baffle

You're not alone.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited November 2022
    I am, as I have broadly grumbled, not crazy about the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 -- although, admittedly, it's decidedly downmarket (at least in price!) from this new MoFi thing.